KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Avalara

Engaged Employer

Avalara

Add a Review

Avalara Employee Reviews about "benefit"

Updated Aug 10, 2022

Technical Account Manager

62 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people and teams(in 71 reviews)
  • "The culture is great(in 39 reviews)
  • "Benefits are good and fairly extensive.(in 38 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance and ease of work(in 25 reviews)
  • "Great team, growing fast and with an eye to maintaining a high bar for talent.(in 20 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Avalara and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "benefit"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Dec 20, 2021 - Sales
    Business Outlook

Pros

Started during the pandemic, and my team was remote first. I have been treated very well, fantastic benefit options, and I've enjoyed working with my team.

Cons

There are always the headaches when working with a corporate company, especially one that grew fast. However, there are no more here than anywhere else. I am very happy.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good experience

Feb 9, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Pune
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Worked on latest technologies 2. Learnt new things 3. In terms of employee benefit ESOP are granted

Cons

1.Sometimes need to stretch too longer 2. Some benefits were curbed after growth of employees

3. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Don't Believe The Hype

Jan 2, 2018 - Psm in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a good market to be in. Avalara offers a service that absolutely provides a benefit to the customer, but the approach taken by management on how to get those customers is sketchy at best.

Cons

This is a private company with only 1 thing in mind. You do the math on what a private company's ultimate goal is. They are doing anything in their power to make sure that happens, which includes not investing any money back various departments that are in dire need. The lack of internal resources is only one issue that has led to that decline in "corporate culture" and job satisfaction. The churn and burn mentality on new sales is leading to customer satisfaction issues across the board. With management now starting to move towards a micro managed approach, it should be pretty clear as to why job satisfaction in the sales organization has dwindled. There is management that is in place that has never done the job and has no idea on how to close business. You have other pieces of the management team that are on a power trip and have no idea how to management and motivate a team in order to drive success. As they push for that ultimate goal of what many private companies strive for, they are losing the big picture of putting the customer first. It has been stated MANY times that company first, customer second, and employee third. Not taking care of the employees that have led to the company growth could come back to bite them.

26 people found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Used To Be Great, Declining

May 8, 2022 - Sales in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are smart, good people My manager has my back Office Perks WFH Option for Remote Employees Good Health Benefits Relevant Product, Good Niche

Cons

* Very long ramp up period learning all the acronyms and how to navigate cross-functional teams for help. Salaries under par for current, tenured employees. New hires enter at much higher salaries causing long-time, loyal employees to feel disgruntled. *Heavy churn across all departments currently due to below-market salaries and slow adoption of improvements other tech companies offer such as fully remote positions and 4-day work weeks. Company response is to point to 'culture' upgrades such as Employee Resource Groups (based* on military service, race and sexual orientation), an extra personal day off, and expanded maternity/paternity leave (not a benefit for those of us no longer having children). Company has not increased paid holidays as other tech companies have to include MLK day. Based on many complaints, Company improved stock vesting schedule. However instead of improving salaries, company pays raises in RSU's, which are taxed twice and not worth it considering stock price has crashed.

6 people found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback about salary and will use it to make Avalara the best possible place to work. If you have additional thoughts you’d like to share, please reach out to your HR People Partner or connect with us at avalisten@avalara.com.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Review

Jun 22, 2015 - Partner Sales Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun and exciting work environment. Opportunity to grow with a start-up that is growing exponentially and has a ton of potential to be one of the top companies in Seattle.

Cons

Salary doesn't compare with other tech companies in Seattle. If you don't live in Seattle there is a long ferry commute, but the company covers all commuting cost so that is a huge benefit.

6. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Growth at the cost of quality

Oct 20, 2021 - Engineering
    Business Outlook

Pros

Appropriate salaries Well funded Well equipped offices

Cons

No cohesion between engineering teams - each group designs and builds their own unique ecosystem. Leadership have no insight or control over engineering - high level goals make their way down through hearsay and are interpreted by each team. Poor self awareness - Avalara benefited significantly from the pandemic and weren't embarrassed to brag about it in company comms/meetings. Despite securing nearly $1.5billion in investment during this time worker pay rises were skipped. Annually wastes money on elaborate and tone deaf company events - hosting a mock chat show with a fully functioning studio and C-list celebrities after withholding pay reviews was beyond belief. Company initiatives (employee resource groups, insurance etc) are designed to attract new employees but serve little if any purpose to active employees. Trying to participate or benefit from the various services the company claims to offer is difficult as nobody is aware of how those things are supposed to work. This may be easier if you're in the US. By and large employees are ignored, leaving lots of room for hidden workers doing very little. The layers of middle managers put in place to compensate aren't visible at all.

8 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Right place, right time...

Apr 11, 2014 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Success starts with the right people. These are some of the best I've worked with in my 18 year career. Choosing to spend off-hours with valued co-workers speaks volumes about the Avalara experience. Freedom to be involved in a wide range of projects and strategic initiatives is another key benefit of the Avalara experience. It's important to recognize and appreciate when we find ourselves working at a great company that's recognized as a leader in a growing industry. This is one of those times.

Cons

I'd like to see more opportunities for cross-departmental networking. We're growing rapidly and it's a challenge to keep track of new employees joining our ranks.