KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Avalara Employee Reviews about "manager"

Updated Aug 10, 2022

Technical Account Manager

62 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great people and teams(in 71 reviews)
  • "The culture is great(in 39 reviews)
  • "Benefits are good and fairly extensive.(in 38 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance and ease of work(in 25 reviews)
  • "Great team, growing fast and with an eye to maintaining a high bar for talent.(in 20 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Avalara and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "manager"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Avalara Really Takes Care of its Employees

Jul 20, 2022 - Senior Application Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits - parental leave, equity bonuses, healthcare, FSA. Decent salary. Professional and personable, committed to diversity, respectful of people's time and effort.

Cons

Too many meetings, sometimes demanding, poor recognition, no COLA increases in base pay

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback about AvaCulture and compensation increases and will use it to make Avalara the best possible place to work. If you have additional thoughts you’d like to share, please reach out to your HR People Partner or connect with us at avalisten@avalara.com.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't work for the 'Corporate Experience' Team

Jul 24, 2022 - Program Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company is high growth so its always evolving, positions getting added all the time. GREAT people, I met the best people on other teams from my own networking. Decent pay, good/average daily culture depending on your team.

Cons

The CE team have the most toxic mangers I've ever experienced. Felt like I was back in the sorority in college. They DO NOT care about you. Both are fake, spread rumors about you and will throw you under the bus in a moments notice. They ONLY want 'yes' people, so your actual opinion better match theirs. Don't have a personal life during the week, as it will intrude in the unnecessary last minute requests that come to you. It takes weeks and months to get basic things done, as the Director doesn't respond to email unless it's important to her. They will take the credit of your work when done well, or talk down to you and belittle you if not done perfectly. I was honestly told "we do not have room for mistakes on this team" when I asked about authenticity and psychological safety during meetings... They like to give out tasks one at a time, so a 'project management' background is an absolute joke. Hierarchy is very important to them, they MUST feel bigger, better and smarter than you. Be very careful in considering a role on this team!!

4 people found this review helpful

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and bring it to our attention. Avalara is committed to having people managers who support, engage, and develop the Avalarians on their teams, so your feedback is concerning. We’d like to learn more about what you’ve observed so that we can continue to improve, please contact avalisten@avalara.com to follow up.

3. 4.0

Great Company Overall but We Can Do Better

May 26, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Overall, this is a great company. However, a recent change in policy (see below) and lack of communication was disappointing.

Cons

They recently changed their remote worker policy and have decided to group work from home/flexible work arrangements with remote. They are not the same. Those of us that were hired as remote employees were hired under that work agreement because we do not have the ability/choice to commute into an office. We also were provided with a stipend as part of our compensation to offset expenses that other employees do not incur because they report to an office (ie. office supplies and etc.). They announced without any previous communication with remote employees that this will be taken away at the end of this year even though it was discussed in salary/benefit discussions when an offer of employment was made. The communication before the announcement was not existent and very poorly handled. I thought we were better than that. This was very disappointing and not representative of the kind of company that Avalara has been and says it wants to continue to be. It was very disappointing.

3 people found this review helpful

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback about the remote work stipend and we're cross sharing it internally. If you have additional thoughts you’d like to share, please reach out to your HR People Partner or connect with us at avalisten@avalara.com.

4. 4.0

Aug 9, 2022 - Professional Services Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible work schedule. Great teamwork. Supportive coworkers.

Cons

non that I can think of

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Awesome Place To Work!

Jul 13, 2022 - Software Development Engineer In Test (SDET)
    Business Outlook

Pros

No office politics Talented Employees Great benefits Interesting work Hard work is recognized and rewarded

Cons

The liberal agenda is pushed pretty hard from the top

1 person found this review helpful

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. We want all Avalarians to feel supported and valued, regardless of their political opinions. If you have additional feedback, please contact avalisten@avalara.com.

6. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Used To Be Great, Declining

May 8, 2022 - Sales in Durham, NC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Co-workers are smart, good people My manager has my back Office Perks WFH Option for Remote Employees Good Health Benefits Relevant Product, Good Niche

Cons

* Very long ramp up period learning all the acronyms and how to navigate cross-functional teams for help. Salaries under par for current, tenured employees. New hires enter at much higher salaries causing long-time, loyal employees to feel disgruntled. *Heavy churn across all departments currently due to below-market salaries and slow adoption of improvements other tech companies offer such as fully remote positions and 4-day work weeks. Company response is to point to "culture" upgrades such as Employee Resource Groups (based* on military service, race and sexual orientation), an extra personal day off, and expanded maternity/paternity leave (not a benefit for those of us no longer having children). Company has not increased paid holidays as other tech companies have to include MLK day. Based on many complaints, Company improved stock vesting schedule. However instead of improving salaries, company pays raises in RSU's, which are taxed twice and not worth it considering stock price has crashed.

6 people found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Thank you for sharing your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback about salary and will use it to make Avalara the best possible place to work. If you have additional thoughts you’d like to share, please reach out to your HR People Partner or connect with us at avalisten@avalara.com.

7. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Support Launch Manager

Jul 20, 2022 - Support Launch Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had a great manager at the time who really fought for his team. I enjoyed working with the product managers and the new product introduction process.

Cons

There wasn't a long term vision for a career in this role

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thanks for sharing your experience at Avalara, we appreciate it! If you have any other insight you’d like to share, please contact your HR People Partner or message us at avalisten@avalara.com.

8. 4.0

Great company questionable leadership

Jul 6, 2022 - Indirect Tax Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Kind co workers, remote, awesome company goals

Cons

They are always buying software with plans to integrate them all which never actually happens. Leadership is out of touch with individual contributors.

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback about your experience. We appreciate hearing your perspective. If you’re open to sharing more so that we can learn and improve, please contact avalisten@avalara.com.

9. 4.0