KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Avalara

Engaged Employer

Avalara

Add a Review

Avalara Employee Reviews about "pay"

Updated Aug 10, 2022

62 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "lies lies lies false promises incompetent lies lies lies lies poor management Scott needs to leave the company before running completely in the ground(in 35 reviews)
  • "5. India level managers have no voice and all decisions are made by US counterparts.(in 27 reviews)
  • "Major sexist 'good old boys club' vibes fostered by CEO and his buddies in other senior leadership roles.(in 21 reviews)
  • "Upper management is disorganized, engineering teams are sometimes neglected(in 19 reviews)
  • "No training and no help whatsoever.(in 12 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Avalara and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "pay"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not terrible, work elsewhere if you can

Sep 28, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

BBQs during the summer, subsided bus passes, nice coworkers (obviously depends which department you work), easy work and very laid back environment. Stock options are a nice bonus. Unless you're in a department like sales/account management where you have to hit certain goals, you pretty much have to be a complete moron to get fired (this can be a con also).

Cons

Benefits and pay are below industry standards. No 401k match. Stock options take forever to vest, if you are lucky enough to receive them. Most departments do not receive bonuses or pay raises (I know one employee who has been with the company for 8+ years and has had the same salary for 4+ years), and performance reviews are a joke. Nepotism is rampant. Upper management will pick favorites and then continually promote those people, despite the fact that they are completely unsuited for the roles. Relatives and friends are also hired and given preferential treatment. For the majority of employees, you'll be working on Bainbridge Island, which adds an hour each way to your commute. I know quite a few people that want to transfer to the Seattle office, but space is limited and most end up stuck on Bainbridge. Middle management, while nice people for the most part, are generally unsuited for their roles. This goes back to the nepotism comment above. Your coworkers are typically just there to get a paycheck and/or experience, and most are looking for better jobs. Avalara asks hew hires to write them favorable reviews on Glassdoor, which is why most of the reviews here are quite positive. If you are thinking of working at Avalara, I would definitely take time to read through the reviews, it should be pretty easy to recognize which ones were written by people that literally just started working here. Before HR started asking new hires to do so, the company's ratings were considerably worse (which is why HR started asking in the first place).

20 people found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Management

I am sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. I did want to clear up some inconsistencies in your email and our practices. We do have an annual review process and merit is based on performance. We encourage all of our employees to share their feedback on Glassdoor because so many of our new hires tell us that they found it helpful. We want people to have a realist view of our company and our employees can provide that…this is what we encourage. Based on internal survey results and our thriving culture, most employees truly enjoy working here. Lastly, our strongest referrals come from our employees and we do encourage that, whether they are friends, former co-workers, relatives or neighbors. First and foremost, we look for people that will thrive and contribute to our culture. There is a reason our employees wear Orange with pride and make the commute to Bainbridge Island every day to be part of our Company. We do wish you well in your future employment.

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Fantastic company with an exceptional culture and dynamite CEO

Apr 1, 2015 - Marketing in Bainbridge Island, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fun challenging work environment. Welcome to new ideas and constantly improving processes. The culture is great - summer BBQ's, exciting trips for top sales reps, beautiful new work spaces, a fun band made out of all Avalara employees. Work hard, play hard is very rewarding. The CEO is incredibly motivating.

Cons

A quick growing company and rapidly changing systems make it tough but not impossible to keep up. The learning curve is steep but if you keep with it you will be rewarded. Parking isn't the best. Pay is good but not out of this world.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company to be a Part of

Feb 5, 2015 - Implementation Consultant in Bainbridge Island, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is good for the position and requirements. Friendly Co-Workers all around Benefits Pay People Team Spirit

Cons

Some departments need a lot of work or attention

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee

Decent company, terrible management/culture

Oct 6, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

+Good pay depending on what you can negotiate before getting hired +There are some great people within the company to work with +Awesome offices with free coffee, beer, etc. +Company is performing well

Cons

+Like many other reviews on here, management is a chaotic nightmare +Top heavy leadership is resulting in a culture of distrust and backstabbing +Middle management spends their time playing "politics" instead of doing actual work +Once you are hired it is near impossible to get promoted regardless of how hard you work. There are no clear pathways to get promoted. +HR is ineffective and ethically corrupt. If HR decides to respond to this post, just remember that they are paid to defend the company. Side note: I would be a bit skeptical of all the 5 star one sentence reviews of the company.

14 people found this review helpful
  5. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good culture . under market pay . good benefits . hard to move up

Mar 9, 2022 - Tax Analyst in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved working at Avalara with the Denver office team. My manager and colleagues were amazing! Good benefits . lovely culture . flexible depending on who your manager is. Good PTO (just make sure not to take it during the filing cycle). Loved the diversity and team events. The Denver is so awesome and it made it hard to leave.

Cons

Some managers have micro management perspective. Hard to move up. Only if you know some higher management, you could move up The pay is not great and they are not willing to adjust to meet inflation and other circumstances. Not willing to match external offers. They keep bragging about numbers they're achieving but not willing to pay more. They're hiring new people with same position but paying new hires more instead of their current employees who already have the needed experience.

3 people found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing your experience. We strive to offer competitive compensation packages and are sorry to hear you feel we missed the mark. If you’d like to share more information so that we can improve for the future, please contact avalisten@avalara.com.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great people, mediocre company

Apr 28, 2015 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company is all flash and no substance. The pay is about 20% lower than the competition and the leadership is like a frat party during Spring Break. If you like keggers and no women in leadership positions this is your company. On the upside the people are smart and savvy and I made some good friends here.

Cons

Please see above. A frat party gone wild, especially during trade shows.

17 people found this review helpful
  7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Avalara is a great company, if do your job and work hard!

Dec 11, 2015 - Sales in Bainbridge Island, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Just like any job, if you do your job the way you should, and put effort in the way your expected then you WILL be rewarded and successful. You can't blame your failure on a ' failed real estate agent ' that manager does the best she can with what she has to deal with and very is dedicated to her role. As a matter of fact, any other manager in other departments at Avalara also try their best, next time you write a review keep in mind you're bitter because of some situation that you created ( you cheated, didn't' do your job to the minimum standards, or simply its not something you're good at). You also can't put down management when they are just following upper management orders. Do you really think they want to set you up for failure when they are paid off there employees success? Reviews aren't suppose to single out one person when they bend over backwards for their department and employees. Reviews are suppose to give feed back as a whole company not social slander and lies just because the position is not your cup of tea. I don't enjoy my job everyday, and its not the easiest, but if you do your minimum quota (which is , 70 calls in 8 hrs) which is proven achievable its actually fun and the employees are fun to be around. The pay is good for starting out and if you push yourself then the pay only gets better. The company is growing fast and change is faster. Management is very flexible if you have good work ethics ( come in on time, do what your asked, stay late if you need to... the basics for any job). There are free lunches all the time, spiffs, and contests to keep you motivated. How many jobs have you had, that want you to 'work hard play hard'? When you read other reviews on this site keep in mind some people are upset because they didn't have what it takes to work at Avalara!

Cons

1-Growing company means fast change, sometimes so fast that you don't notice the change until you make a mistake. 2- Merging different types of taxes all at once ( Sales, Use tax, Telcom, VAT, Excise) with out the training will damage the overall customer service. 3- To much telemarketing (some companies receive calls up to 10 times a month, or emailed daily) 4- Communication between departments is awful. We need more product overview meetings, and company meetings to brief each other with what's changing within the company. 5- Quota is unrealistic when Avalara over hires! To many sales representative's with not enough prospects or leads..Quality work is hard if you have to meet a quota that affects your monthly pay.

4 people found this review helpful