KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Avalara

Engaged Employer

Avalara

Add a Review

Avalara Employee Reviews about "team"

Updated Oct 3, 2022

64 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "lies lies lies false promises incompetent lies lies lies lies poor management Scott needs to leave the company before running completely in the ground(in 35 reviews)
  • "5. India level managers have no voice and all decisions are made by US counterparts.(in 28 reviews)
  • "Major sexist 'good old boys club' vibes fostered by CEO and his buddies in other senior leadership roles.(in 20 reviews)
  • "Upper management is disorganized, engineering teams are sometimes neglected(in 18 reviews)
  • "Nepotism and favoritism are rampant and goals are set with total and complete disregard for reality.(in 11 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Avalara and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "team"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Decent company, terrible team

Jun 23, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company is positioned in a very unique market niche. Some teams still embody the Avalara values of prioritizing the wellbeing of employees and servant-based leadership. The engineering PMO's program managers (for the most part) are helpful, friendly, and committed to a shared vision of success.

Cons

The engineering PMO I was on hired senior/upper management from an external company. They did not have an understanding of Avalara culture & values and introduced nepotism and power-based dynamics. They approached leadership from a top-down perspective (high power / low trust) which quickly turned sour. The body count can attest to this - all existing managers have org-hopped and the rate of churn for program managers in the PMO is high (over 1/2 the team has departed over the last year). When complaints about senior management were brought to executive leadership, all concerns were received with a deaf ear.

8 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Happy, fulfilled, and engaged employee

Apr 11, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in Bainbridge Island, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have an amazing boss and my immediate team is just great. I am offered independence and autonomy in my work and I know that I have 100% support when I need it from anyone on my team. Open, transparent communication, fun, driven people - one of the most positive work environments I have ever had. The product is exceptional and driven by a highly intelligent, creative and innovative team. Everyone puts in their best effort and is able to stay playful while working hard.

Cons

The Seattle to Bainbridge commute is a little long, but it is also beautiful and peaceful and subsidized by the company. I don't really feel like I can complain about that, although I know that has been a point of contention for some.

1 person found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Management

Thank you for sharing some of the things we see in our company that makes it so great. We continue to hire talented men and women to join our team. And, as for the commute…you are right, there are worse commutes out there than a ferry ride across Puget Sound. Many of our Seattle commuters came into the office last week talking about the Orcas swimming alongside the ferry on their way to work. Not a bad way to start the day!

3. 4.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Good company to work with

Jan 15, 2017 - Senior QA Engineer in Pune
    Business Outlook

Pros

This one is my second company and for me experience with current and previous company is really good. I really don't write blogs or review ( believe me not a single review even on flipkart products that i purchased so far :) ). This time someone is really spreading bad about the company so thought i should share my exp about Avalara. Pro's : If you are a positive minded person there are lots of thing that you can find opportunity into, but few are the bullet point which really reflects in day to day operations. - Company understands about today's trend about Husband and Wife both being working professional as a reason they provide free breakfast , Lunch and snacks (that too a good quality food). this really help's me as my wife as well is working. - Work from home option : My parents staying at native really require my attention once every 2-3 months and having this option really help me spend time and as well contribute to work. - There is a special budget allocated for team outings and that's really with individual team members to plan activities. Its really fun to go out with team enjoy the time. - I noted the salary is actually competitive per market standards ( if not why would have I been sticking with this company so far :) ) - Work wise - this is product based company and you get to work on latest technology stack. Few bullet items i added to my Resume since last 12 months (AWS , Node.js and Angular JS). Overall I think this is a pretty good company for those who wants to keep learning and growing. This is not like a typical service based industry where you are guarded with a huge team and your performance hardly counts. This ones for individual contributors and for folks who keeps performing throughout. I think this is now a general trend in service industry as well , even if you are in group there are metrics to evaluate you individual performance.

Cons

There may be few if you compare with top notch companies like google , Microsoft and those would be typically on Infrastructure side. Another one i noted is no company transport. Besides these I do not see any major Con's. For me its kind of if you start you day with positive mindset you find everything coming your way. If you are sick personality no matter what, you land up in situation.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 5.0

Love this company

Nov 20, 2019 - Tax Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people make this job wonderful. I really enjoy coming to work and feeling like I’m part of a great team.

Cons

I don’t have a lot of cons aside from that they expect you to hit the ground running and that can be overwhelming at first.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great culture, clear vision

Jun 10, 2020 - General Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve been so impressed with the company’s response to COVID-19. Avalara really supports the team and as provided a ton of resources to us. The culture and values are really strong. We also have a clear vision on plan that are articulated in our Manifesto.

Cons

Don’t have much negative to say.

6. 5.0
    Former Intern, less than 1 year

Great place to work

Oct 31, 2020 - Security Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company treats interns very well and gives you all the tools you need to work. The team members are ready to help you and you learn so much on the job. It's a great place

Cons

There are no Cons I know about.

7. 3.0