Avalon Flooring Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Maryanne Adams

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I also know that dedicated hard work will not go unnoticed (in 6 reviews)

• The company has a great benefits package and is an Employee Stock Owned Company (ESOP) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If your looking for a job be ready to work long hours, Avalon thinks just because it is retail you have to work ungodly amount of hours (in 6 reviews)

• There a numerous sales people that are waiting for thousands of dollars in commission they may never see (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A Great Place To Work!!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Langhorne, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Langhorne, PA

I have been working at Avalon Flooring full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Training is unbelievable! This company cares about their employees and couldn't be a happier work environment! I couldn't be happier working for an employer.

Cons

There are no cons in working for Avalon!

Apr 19, 2017 – Vice President of Administration

I am very pleased that you are happy with your experience at Avalon!

"You get out what you put in"

Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Warehouse Supervisor in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Avalon Flooring (More than 8 years)

Pros

During my time at Avalon Flooring I have come to appreciate all the help and support I have received from my Director of Operations as well as Linda in HR that have enabled me to not only move up within the company but to better myself as a person. It is nice to work for an employer that recognizes hard work and provides opportunities.

Cons

The only con I can think of is the difficulty in filling shifts at times.

Advice to Management

Being able for warehouse management/supervisor to receive E-mail on his/her cell

3. "Sales Associate experience at Avalon Flooring"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Avalon Flooring full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros include a great training program, quality products, great looking stores, nice people (mostly), good benefits.

Cons

SOME stores are in a lower income area, combine that with low cost competition right around the corner and not as many people coming into the store, sales people have a hard time meeting quote and earning a good living.

"Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Avalon Flooring full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I would have to say the best pro would have to be the health insurance and all the training received.

Cons

Upper management needs to listen more to the sales force, they forget the sales people are what makes money for the company. There are to many chiefs and not enough Indians. If your looking for a job be ready to work long hours, Avalon thinks just because it is retail you have to work ungodly amount of hours. Pay does not justify the hours. Being micromanaged all the time feeling like your being constantly watched.

Advice to Management

Listen to your sales people, no one is listening to them or taking action when issues arise. Salespeople should feel like they are appropriated and they are clearly not.

Oct 4, 2017 – Vice President of Administration

Thank you for the many years you spent here with Avalon as a valued employee and also for taking the time to post this review. It is unfortunate that the hours and compensation was no longer a fit... More

5. "Warehouse Associate"

I have been working at Avalon Flooring full-time

Pros

It is cool very laid-back enviroment, which could give you opportunity to move around to different facets of the company.

Cons

Could be overwhelming with co-workers, but never to difficult to brush off your shoulders and keep moving.

Advice to Management

none

6. "Purchasing and Claims Department"

I have been working at Avalon Flooring full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Avalon Flooring is truly a company that rewards hard work and determination. I started in an entry level position over 12 years ago and have been able to move up and grow with the company over the years. Avalon has always been a company with a “family” atmosphere that is also innovative and focused on the future. The company has a great benefits package and is an Employee Stock Owned Company (ESOP).

Cons

Long hours required at times.

"How to get promoted"

I have been working at Avalon Flooring full-time

Pros

Working with alcohol on your breath, keeping your job & promoted

Cons

Who needs cons when you got a pro like that

Advice to Management

Follow the steps below...
    1. Go to the pub for 2-3 hours on Avalon's
    2. Have some beer
    3. Lie about where you was and what you doing
    4. Promoted to Warehouse Manager making $20 an hr

How does this happen in a company when management knows about. It clearly shows that you can get away with anything if they like you.

"The Pattern Continues"

Pros

The company discount on flooring is pretty good. If you need to do your house it is worth it. The pay is good, but that is how they keep you there. Pay you a little above what you would get in the market and hope that it keeps you from being able to leave.

Cons

The company has a pattern of making mass layoffs when they miss revenue. They just laid off 20+ people. This has been something of a pattern for the management of the company. Some of those that were long term employees some with 20+ years. You have to be prepared to get laid off even if you are doing your job.

Advice to Management

Remember that reducing headcount doesn't fix your long term management problems.

"It's all about the top"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton Gardens, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Trenton Gardens, NJ

I have been working at Avalon Flooring full-time

Pros

You get a discount if you work here. Have met people who will be friends forever.

Cons

In order to keep upper managment in their lifestyle, they will fire 35 people in one week and blame it on not meeting the budget. People who have been working and loyal to this company from 10-35 years. They hack at Sales commissions and fire those that make the money for this company, while having second homes & yachts.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. You want one big family type company which only means you want those below you to step in line.

"Sales/design"

Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Design/Sales Consultant in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Avalon Flooring full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Today is my last day working at Avalon and I truly enjoyed my 6 years here and will miss it. I am only leaving because I'm moving south due to my husband's job change. I have to say that the people I worked with at the KOP location, management and all the way up to the HR department and the wonderful CEO of this company are exceptional. The continual training surpasses anywhere I have ever worked. The company also cares about it's employees. They also care about their customer's experience and satisfaction. Yes, you have to work hard. But the harder, or smarter, you work the more you are rewarded. Thank you Avalon, for all you have done for me.

Cons

They are trying really hard to update their computers. At this point they are still having trouble with one system talking to the other. It can be frustrating. But their working on it.

Apr 19, 2017 – Vice President of Administration

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback as a Avalon employee. Best of luck to you and please contact us if you are ever back in our area!
    - Linda