AvalonBay Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
AvalonBay Communities President and CEO Timothy J. Naughton
Timothy J. Naughton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Cares about all team members and promotes a healthy work life balance" (in 40 reviews)

• "Spirit of caring: The only company I’ve worked for that truly does care" (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not the best work-life balance, but that's standard in the industry" (in 13 reviews)

• "Not a lot of communication from upper management" (in 15 reviews)

1. "Opportunity For Career Advancement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you're looking for a company to build a career, AvalonBay is a great choice. You're not going to be handed the opportunity, so you've got to show your worth, but there are so many examples in the company of associates earning multiple promotions across different departments.
    Also, the amount of time/money/resources AvalonBay gives back to the community through their Spirit of Caring initiatives will make you proud to tell people you work here.

Cons

If you're looking for the latest in terms of technology, AvalonBay would not be your first choice. This is an opportunity for the company that is being addressed currently.

2. "Culture is outstanding, I definitely would recommend AVB to anyone looking for a career."

Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Payroll Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people, everyone’s willingness to work together to provide great customer service and find solutions.

Cons

Could provide more opportunity for entry level career training.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage work life balance across the board.

3. "Amazing Place to work"

Current Employee - Receptionist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay, the benefits, the people that work here, totally Amazing

Cons

There are none for me, other than the Traffic going home. But that is not AvalonBay's fault.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

Aug 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for writing this glowing review! I am glad you enjoy working here.

4. "The best place to work"

Current Employee - Community Concierge in Long Island City, NY
    Current Employee - Community Concierge in Long Island City, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits , awesome people , friendly environment

Cons

all are pros , nothing cons

Aug 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking time to write a review!

5. "Senior Estimator/Preconstruction Manager"

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Solid company, decent communications, good pipeline of work, good compensation.

Cons

Large company, was there during a major transition period where the road ahead wasn’t well communicated.

Advice to Management

When making major changes, communicating the path forward will help employees know if that path is right for them.

Aug 7, 2018 – Human Resources

We value your feedback and are always looking for ways to grow and change. Thanks for the review!

"Great company to kick-start a professional career!"

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous company-paid lunches: Management team gets company credit cards and loves to feed us! Some weeks I hardly spend anything on food because there is always food in the break-room. Vendors often drop by with treats as well.

Benefits package: I have never been disappointed with coverage from Blue Cross/Blue Shield. So far so good. Most employees accrue a day or two of sick time and vacation time per pay period. Paid holidays and compensation days provided.

Spirit of caring: The only company I’ve worked for that truly does care. Plenty of food drives, collaboration with Hopelink, volunteer opportunities with pay, blood drives, pet adoption events, etc.

Open-minded to individuals wanting industry change: For the most part management is willing to listen to where you are coming from and where you want to go. They are genuinely interested in exploring new ideas from outside experience/different backgrounds.

Less political problems than other companies: Most of the management teams are easy-going and avoid drama. You don’t hear a lot of work gossip, at least at my property/region.

Ever-evolving: Constant changes to pay structure and operations based on both consumer and employee feedback. You can tell the company wants to improve.

Takes employees’ ideas into consideration: Quarterly employee surveys to gauge interest and concerns.

Cons

Promote based on tenure rather than skill: The good thing is that you have job security as a result. On the contrary, many members of management seem disengaged or bored because they have not experienced growth in so many years. They do not have to constantly prove themselves as assets to a team, but instead become shoe-ins for positions regardless of talent or knowledge.

Awful awful awful residents: There are a handful of kind, genuine residents. The rest are entitled, rude, talk down to you, and will find reasons to threaten you. I have been called a number of profanities and been yelled at by residents and we as employees are expected to simply say “I understand where you are coming from” and apologize. Back up your employees if you care about them. Establish standards with residents instead of enabling them to continue the same behavior. Turnover on site is mostly based on inability to take insults and threats day in and day out by our clientele.

Aug 7, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for you time and dedication put into your role here at AVB! We appreciate your constructive feedback. If you have any additional concerns, please reach out to your HR Manager.

"Danger"

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very nice people/management overall. Welcoming.

Cons

They allow a racist to remain on the QA staff

Advice to Management

She is a liability

8. "Great Experience"

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities part-time

Pros

You earn a lot in little time, which is great. I had amazing coworkers that made work definitely better as well as the amazing residents.

Cons

I did not like the major gap between management and non management
    I did not enjoy the hours on weekends

Advice to Management

My advice would be is be more considerate to other employees and reach out when help is needed. Esentially value non management employees.

Jul 12, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your honesty and constructive feedback. We appreciate you providing specifics and a solution to your concern. We are committed to making an environment where our associates are noticed... More

9. "Honestly A Wonderful Company to Work For"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is ongoing training and plenty of opportunities to take on additional duties once you get the hang of your job. The company has a lot of different properties and openings so that you can transfer to a different site or even to the corporate office.

People here are very friendly and open to hear suggestions and ideas on how to continuously improve. It's not uncommon to meet people who have been working for AvalonBay for 20+ years.

Cons

Sometimes it gets tiring working Saturdays but that is just the nature of the beast. Don't let that discourage you from working here.

Jul 12, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your wonderful review. We appreciate your feedback and are always looking for ways to improve.

"Great Place to Work. Sorry I left."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture and people were second to none.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities and little commitment to associate development.

Jul 12, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for our review. We are so glad you love the culture as much as we do!