AvalonBay Communities Reviews

4.1
AvalonBay Communities President and CEO Timothy J. Naughton
Timothy J. Naughton
Pros
Cons
  • "High leasing goals, with a new bonus structure(in 26 reviews)

• "Even with all the positive aspects of working for Avalon Bay, I still have to consider how to make the most money for my family with my work hours(in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Vista, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of pros and employee recognition

Cons

The only con is the employee discount for rent. other companies offer a better discount and same benefits

AvalonBay Communities Response

July 7, 2020

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We appreciate feedback and will use this to improve our associate's experience.

2. "Great Company!"

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Manager in Union City, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have only worked for AvalonBay for a short period but it was immediately obvious that they truly care about their employees well being. They have taken many steps to limit employee exposure during the pandemic by implementing paid time off and staggering shifts. Their policies and procedures are well thought out and documented to give clear and precise direction for most situations. The systems in place for conducting work duties are easy to use, typically work well and provide solid feedback to to make improvements to productivity and quality of work.

Cons

As with any business profitability is important but it can be a fine line between profits and proper operating budgets.

3. "Rare Combination of Long-Term View and Strong Values"

Current Employee - Development Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time for less than a year

Pros

AVB is unique in the real estate industry in that they develop a majority of the buildings they own (as opposed to buying them from a 3rd party), and as a REIT, they are incentivized to hold these properties long-term (10+ years). This combination allows the firm to focus on "doing the right thing" and building quality apartments that don't cut corners. The focus on yield vs. merchant builders focus on IRR allows more thoughtful and socially responsible development. There is a strong emphasis on hiring good people with good reputation which has built a strong culture at the firm from the top down. Hiring process filters out toxic personalities - "no a**holes" Pay is reasonable and the firm emphasizes growth from within, although teams run lean and are scattered around the country so lateral moves are limited without relocation. 20% discount on rent at AVB properties which can be a meaningful bonus.

Cons

From a development perspective, AVB is a big, publicly traded REIT so there is limited exposure to deals / structures outside of wheelhouse. Most every deal will be a fee-simple, 100+ apartment building with no outside partners, equity or financing. As a vertically integrated firm construction and management are in-house so you have great visibility but less opportunity to build relationships outside the firm and negotiate capital stacks, etc.

4. "Exemplary Response to COVID-19"

Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

AvalonBay has proven its core value of "Spirit of Caring" throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. These are just a few of the changes the company made to make this time a little easier for employees: - 6 weeks of emergency paid leave to employees affected by COVID-19 - flexible scheduling for associates who need to take care of their families - 100% paid medical care for anything related to COVID-19 - and a number of other benefits to help us during this time

Cons

No cons at this time. I am so proud to work for AvalonBay.

5. "Great company"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Falls Church, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company, great managers and trainings.

Cons

Company should open more opportunities for temporary positions to become regular position

Continue reading
  6. "A Growth Oriented & Culture Driven Company"

Current Employee - Group Leader in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A growth oriented & culture driven company. Full of smart, motivated people where you can make a difference.

Cons

Technology still needs some work, on the way but could be faster

Continue reading
  7. "I love this company!"

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits of this company is it's strong leadership team. They have a vision of what they want for the company and it is clear and communicated to associates. Benefit plans are great and offer access to HMO and PPO insurance options. In addition to this we have housing discounts, 401K and stock plans that we can purchase. In addition job stability is amazing. I find that this company is here for the long run and wants to grow and develop strong leaders in the industry.

Cons

High stress environment. Working with the public can be stressful. In addition to working with smaller staff. Thankfully the company is working with technology to help with work volume. Associate pay: associates tend to take a pay cut as the benefits are very desirable. You will see associates come from other companies willing to get paid less since we have an amazing company culture and reputation. High leasing goals, with a new bonus structure leasing goals can be very challenging thus leading to less pay.

Continue reading
  8. "BEST EMPLOYER I EVER HAD !"

Current Employee - Tech III in San Rafael, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time for less than a year

Pros

This company really cares about their employees, we are all team players and work together.

Cons

The commute due to I live 56 miles away, but I have the option to transfer

9. COVID-19

"Long hours, lot of commitment"

4.0
    Former Employee - Community Consultant

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

- Benefits - Rent discount if you live at an Avalon property

Cons

- Little to no time off - Residential Services did not immediately receive the opportunity to work remotely but corporate did during a pandemic

10. COVID-19

"I love my job, but the pay makes me question if it's worth it."

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been an associate at AvalonBay for quite some time and I have to say that I do love my job. There are multiple opportunities for growth, and the company and management teams want their associates to be successful. They've handled COVID-19 incredibly well from a safety standpoint and I'm grateful for that. We receive good benefits (health insurance, 401k, 20% off of rent if you live in an AvalonBay Community, etc.), and they have standard, but still good, time off policies. My teammates and almost every single associate I've met so far are incredible people, and they make this job better and I am happy to come to work because of them. I have the opportunity to make a difference in my residents' lives, which I love, and I have a lot of power to make my own decisions in how I work with my residents from a customer service standpoint. Finally, there is definitely flexibility in my position to take on projects and make them my own, from planning resident events to coordinating new programming and more.

Cons

Simply put, no matter how much I do love my job and where I work, I don't make nearly enough to live at any of our Communities, even with a 20% discount, and still have enough money in my budget for expenses for food, utilities, transportation, and to put enough money in my savings account every month (this doesn't even take my student debt into consideration, let alone other expenses). Unfortunately, this describes not only living on my own at one of our communities, but also living with a roommate or possibly even two. My hourly rate is extremely low compared to our competitors (~$18/hour), and while our previous bonus plan provided the opportunity to make at least an additional $2,000 or more per month on average (and that is definitely the lower end of what I've seen for my bonuses), my new "bonus" is likely only going to be $1,000 per month - enough to cover my hourly rate's taxes. Because we are understaffed (no matter how much my manager lets higher-ups know we need another associate at my location), and even if we weren't, for the amount of work I do and the amount of energy I put into my job, as well as the amount of customers that I work with daily (including those that are immeasurably difficult to please), I question almost every day how much longer this path will be feasible for me. Aside from that, we are constantly measured by net promoter scores that are not applicable to the management staff (i.e., "the building could use some work", "the rent is too high", etc.), and when I asked who to provide feedback to about this, I was shot down because "this has been in place for years". Finally, on the days where I work by myself, I find that I work far more than eight hours in a day, to the point of where, for a long time, I consecutively wasn't getting back home while it was still light out. Ultimately, I feel as though I am doing the work of what a supervisor would be doing in another property management company, but in no way am I being paid a comparable amount of money to make the job and the hard work worth it. I don't want to leave AvalonBay at all, but I still often find myself checking for new job postings at other companies that may offer better pay and a better work/life balance and I plan to apply for new positions elsewhere when they open if things do not change soon.

Found 615 reviews