KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 706 of over 742 reviews

4.0
AvalonBay Communities President and CEO Timothy J. Naughton
Timothy J. Naughton
Pros
  • "Strong promoters of work life balance(in 61 reviews)

• "Great company, care about employees(in 39 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Leasing staff in general needs to be paid more especially across different geographies(in 28 reviews)

• "The maintenance team should work closely with the construction team (both of them are part of Avalon)(in 22 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AvalonBay Communities and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Great company

Apr 24, 2021 - Maintenance Technician in Providence, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great work environment.

Cons

I can’t think of anything cons.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Best Company I have ever worked

Aug 2, 2021 - Manager Accounts Payable in Alexandria, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong Executive Leadership, Clear Vision, and Customer Service Attention. Always looking at Continuous Improvement and Employee Retention and Appreciation.

Cons

None. Wish they had opportunities in the Raleigh NC area.

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Don’t stay as long as me

May 15, 2021 - Senior Community Manager in Denver, CO
      Business Outlook

Pros

There is a career path to follow to no matter which side of the business you enter.

Cons

The industry is heading towards self service and automation. During my 12 years with the company, I was continually asked to do more with less. The company’s stated culture is fantastic, but your actual experience will depend on the leadership within your region. My most recent experience was in a region that lacked any real leadership. There was no personal touch or caring from the top. They only cared about their jobs. I spent 12 years with the company and applied for a position within another department. I was never offered an interview. I emailed the hiring manager directly and found out they were close to hiring someone. I withdrew my application when I heard from the hiring manger. AVB recruitment reached out to me to let me know they were surprised I withdrew my application, because I was a serious applicant. They were more interested in covering their liability then just being honest with me, after 12 years of loyalty. My lesson learned from this experience - loyalty is truly no longer valued by organizations. Avalon is no exception to this. I worked through COVID on-site everyday through 2020. I worked through staff shortages and the generous EPL offerings to our associates. I received no thanks for these things efforts. I was given a 2% merit increase and told I should be thankful to have a job. I left after 12 years because of ineffective leadership within my specific region - Denver. There are other regions that may offer a better experience.

5 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A solid start

Jun 16, 2021 - Community Concierge
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you're interested in getting into the Real Estate Industry, AVB will provide you a solid foundation for which you will be able to not only get your "foot in the door", but also to cultivate the necessary skills for future career growth. Daily operations are intersecting, allowing contact points with various departments. This allows for greater exposure towards different lines within the company teams. The active interactions across teams not only facilitates a greater involvement within the grander picture of property operations, but also intrigue. It will definitely peak your interest as to the possibilities available within the horizon of your developing professional journey.

Cons

Residents and operations of properties differ from one Community to the next. You may find yourself at a property which you may not individual connect with, as a result of either of the former being more to demanding in their daily dealings.

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Solid company

Jul 31, 2021 - Service Technician
      Business Outlook

Pros

able to learn with a great team

Cons

If you are a Maintenance Tech 2 you do majority of the hard labor work

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic Work Environment

Apr 29, 2021 - Concierge in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

pet health insurance good location

Cons

High turnover of Concierge Staff, which impacts the Residents. Management doesn’t seem concerned, as they are generally the ones firing staff and harassing employees so they will quit. They like a fast, revolving door at Avalon, while falsely promoting air hugs for the team. The corporate speak that managers and supervisors are required to use is superficial and off putting. They try really hard to pretend to be genuine and authentic, yet none of them can achieve that, because they aren’t. They are fake and phony. The essence of a Building starts top down, with Management. The Avalon property I worked at has a toxic, introverted Manager with very limited skills in positive reinforcement and team building. Consequently, we had coworkers who take Manager lead by being negative and mean-spirited to Residents and Associates. New Supervisors to the property bully Associates and HR misleads an employee, while using all resources to help the Supervisor, not the employee who was harassed. The HR department is not professional and in all of my interactions with them, I walked away feeling that I was not being taken seriously and that HR would take my concerns and use them against me, which is exactly what happened, even though they promise non-retaliation in writing. If you decide to work for this company despite the red flags, be prepared for dysfunction, vagueness, degradation, toxic people, inept management, energy vampires and small minds. Unless you desperately need Pet Insurance, steer clear and find another company to work for. You deserve better. We all do.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 4.0

Its Okay

Jul 15, 2021 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits. The pay is decent

Cons

depending on the community you are in, you can have it good or bad.

8. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work

Jun 30, 2021 - Maintenance Manager in Ballard, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits alone are worth working for this amazing company. They hire from within so plenty of room to move up, percentage off rent if you live onsite, plus it's like family there.

Cons

I can't really think of any.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Productive place to work at

Jul 9, 2021 - Maintenance Technician II in San Diego, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Solid management. Opportunity to move up. Good benefits.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a hassle.

10. 5.0

Great place

Jul 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. Everyone is very nice. Management actually cares

Cons

The pay structure could be better

Viewing 1 - 10 of 706 Reviews