AvalonBay Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AvalonBay Communities President and CEO Timothy J. Naughton
Timothy J. Naughton

Pros
  • The company promotes work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• great benefits, great team nice company (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work-life balance, but that's standard in the industry (in 12 reviews)

• I have also seen great employees be pushed out of the company by upper management (in 14 reviews)

1. "This place is a joke"

Former Employee - Consultant in Nassau, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in Nassau, NY

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

NThere is absolutely nothing good about working here - unless you count the eye candy in the office

Cons

Idiots, blowhards, morons, no morale,

Advice to Management

Get a clue

"Slave"

Former Employee - Slave in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Slave in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management starts out acting like they want to help you. But there really isn't any upward mobility. They know who they want to promote or advance into upper positions. It takes about 4 to 6 months, butin that time you will learn where you really stand.

Cons

Management attitude. If you make a complaint or have a question about anyone they find is a friend.... forget a career. Even though retaliation is considered unacceptable.... management does it ALL the time. So sad to see they push associates into a non-caring attitude.

Advice to Management

Everyone has feelings. And remember treating others as lesser people will eventually bite you in the but. The only acceptable culture is theirs.

"Complete Waste of Two Years, Advancement is Non-Existant"

Former Employee - Community Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

The team at my property was great. Solid benefits.

Cons

Ladies, you know that one relationship you regret. You wasted a two years on a guy hoping that someday (SOMEDAY) he would appreciate how wonderful and talented you were, how smart you were, how much you took tasks on that he'd never had to worry about, how little you asked for in return...how much you really cared. How LOYAL you were.

Welcome to my relationship with AvalonBay. If AvalonBay were a boyfriend, I should have dumped his worthless behind long ago.

I interviewed with multiple years experience in property management under my belt, coming from a management role. I accepted an entry level sales position with assurances of quickly forthcoming advancement that never materialized (all the while watching non-industry, outside candidates be placed straight into management).

Lots of favoritism for the corporate brown nosers at this company. Watch out for those people because they will quietly stab you in the back to look golden to management -- also to hold you down because they're terrified you'll leap-frog them a promotion. Once that happens, you can forget about any kind of advancement. As others have mentioned, if you're not a POD favorite you may as well start seeking alternate employment.

Pay at AVB was always low for the respective industry but now they've introduced a sparkly new compensation program that they've billed as our opportunity to make more bonus. In short, they reduced the hourly pay of all employees by 12% (with the exception of managers, of course) in exchange for what they claim is a massive opportunity to make more bonus on leases. Best wishes to AVB hiring good talent at $13 an hour because this bonus structure only benefits the company, not the employees. And good luck finding a manager who can actually even explain the bonus calculator in a transparent way. Smoke and mirrors.

What AVB's essentially done is create a culture of teams scrambling, clawing and stepping on each other to claim the best leads and making shady exceptions to get leases on the board -- I mean, if the Senior CC's going to hold out an apartment seven days instead of the mandated three, why wouldn't I? #GREAT

Additionally, the bonus goals are set borderline unattainable, so corporate, who set them, is banking on one or more consultant on a team missing in any given month. What's that mean for shareholders? $$$$$ Yup. Hey investors, hope you're enjoying riding the backs of AVB livestock!

Avalon employs corporate sheep for a reason. Plod along, don't ask questions, don't challenge authority, brown nose at every turn, do your manager's work, accept pay decreases with a smile. Bow to corporate. Bow to abusive residents. Get this! Our manager was so afraid to get a bad review on social media that he actually waived a person's move-out charges to get them to remove a one-star Yelp. How do you look up to or aspire to be a manager like that???

Cute for a company that benchmarks integrity as a core value, isn't it?

Opportunity abounds at other PM companies...don't waste your time with Avalon unless you enjoy the corporate game as opposed to being valued for your intelligence, entrepreneurial spirit and experience.

Advice to Management

Stop basing advancement decisions on who kisses your tail the best. Honestly, you're blindly accepting mediocrity and losing excellence because you don't like hearing about those who challenge the norm and/or challenge the status quo set forth by managers. Let a smart and ambitious employee sit stagnant for enough time and they'll burn out and leave you for better opportunities. Shame.

Sep 13, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective with us, and while I'm glad you enjoyed working with the team at your community, I'm sorry to hear that your experience with us was not a more ... More

"A joke"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Money is money and if you are there they will pay you. Also you get your Oshawa 30 and first aid certificate

Cons

The construction side is oblivious to corporate structure. Signing up here requires sighting away your home life. If you don't like your wife or family this is your dream job.

Sep 12, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and I'm sorry that so far your time with AvalonBay has been anything less than excellent. A good work/life balance is imperative for all of us at AVB and I encourage you to ... More

"Worst Company Ever!"

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Not one pro for this place.

Cons

This company is an absolute joke. The pay was low to start with and then the bonus structure made it even worse. Our base pay was cut, which didn't help because the amount of consultants working made it impossible to get leases. Management just sits there and does nothing. They say they have our back, but they're just looking to get promoted. Everyone here just bends over backwards to move up.

Managers are not even close to being qualified and are condescending to all employees.

Associate housing is a mess. They treat you worse than a resident and could care less that you're an employee.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about how much money the company makes when employees are not reaping any benefits.

Aug 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for sharing your perspective with us, and I'm sorry to hear that your experience with AvalonBay has not been a more positive one. The new bonus plan was introduced in response to feedback ... More

"Resident Services Manager"

Former Employee - Resident Service Manager in Long Beach, NY
    Former Employee - Resident Service Manager in Long Beach, NY

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You learn a lot because they overwork you. The company has a respectable name so working for them gives you credit.

Cons

Lack of professionalism in upper mgmt. no bonus or compensation for extra work. You can tell it's a publicly owned company.

Advice to Management

Treat your valued employees with respect - they would have been your assets.

Aug 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your experience at AvalonBay. Your feedback will be shared internally and we wish you every ... More

"Do you want low pay or your foot in the door..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Do you want low pay or your foot in the door? You can gain experience anywhere for a lot more pay. Ultimately you have to decide what's more important to you. I recommend UDR or Essex.

Cons

• Pay could be a lot better. Underpaid compared to industry standards in addition to the amount of accounting/administrative duties.
    • management have you doing variance reports and take credit for your work. (NY market does not do variance reports)
    • Residents can verbally abuse and physically assault (lease violations) staff and upper management will continue to roll out the red carpet for them.
    • No work life balance despite what you’re told.
    • I witnessed all maintenance team members work off the clock to accommodate residents and their general manager is aware of it, but pretends to be blind to labor laws.
    • Told countless times that I am great leader, intelligent, doer, problem solver etc. etc. But never told me about areas of opportunities. Yet told his boss who then told me. (interesting)
    • Pretending to like managers, if you do not nod and agree with non-sense, you’re likely to be placed in the out-group and labeled as a trouble maker.
    • Human resources/regional staff members are facebook friends with front line workers, throwing their names in career advancement opportunities because they have access to ops managers, preventing advancement opportunities for others who work really hard from getting ahead.
    • Forced to have fun!
    • Refusing to have lunch with managers will place you in the out-group and labeled as a trouble maker.
    • Counterproductive busy work
    • Some managers are allowed to be offensive, rude, disrespectful, intrusive, and annoying and its acceptable behaviors. And others cannot simply be left alone to work and be productive.
    • Pay can be a lot better.
    • Overworked
    • Not appreciated
    • Overlooked
    • Constantly hearing about your strengths and weaknesses through your bosses’ boss.
    Pushed out of the organization because I'm in school and encouraged to pursue another career. Told countless times by management despite my contributions, awards, professionalism etc.

Aug 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and will share it with leadership so as to better serve our current and future associates. We are sorry to hear that your experience with ... More

"Not A Company I Could Recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seal Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seal Beach, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing staff to work with on a daily basis(They deserve 5 stars)
    Sundays closed
    Ideal for those with retail experience

Cons

I was very excited when Avalon took over our company because it was stated over and over that they would be very similar. I was also excited to have Sundays off and be a part of a company that I could grow in. Fast forward a couple years later and the only word that comes to mind is disappointment. Prior to Avalon, I had a clear idea of my "road map to success" and upper management was amazing. I could call her for anything and she genuinely cared about me not just as an employee but as a person. Upper management here left something to be desired to say the least. I consider myself a team player and love to do what is needed to reach a goal but I felt unmotivated at this company. Having quarterly meetings was simply a ra-ra show and the things that mattered were pushed behind. Things as simple as employees having a clear road map toward moving up in the company were talked about but never executed during my time there. I watched exceptional employees question their worth because individuals in upper management didn't really see the importance of knowing their employees in their region. I found myself seeing Avalonbay more and more like a job instead of a career and I knew if I wanted to grow in the way that I wanted, I would need to look elsewhere. The only thing that kept me there were my managers at my communities and the individuals I worked with on a daily basis. My experience with them was phenomenal and If I were to base my review off of them, it would be a different story. I also think a big con is the lack of compassionate for the residents that the staff deals with on a daily basis. Avalon is like any other big company and it is all about the bottom line. Resident retention was not that important even though it made more sense to keep someone in their apartment as opposed to paying the money to turn it or risking an apartment remaining vacant for months. One of the best things I experienced was forming great relationships with individuals and one of the worst was having to watch people leave a community they called home (for as long as 20 years in some cases) because the numbers from a system didn't work in their favor. We had residents that were retired, living on a fixed income, and getting ridiculous increases. While I understand the business side, it is very different when you have to be the one being yelled out or watching someone cry because they can no longer make ends meet. Unfortunately, the list can go on of why I chose to move on and I would not personally recommend this company from my experiences .

Aug 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed working with your peers, and found them to be amazing. I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your overall experience at AvalonBay. We ... More

"Despite what they tell you, NOT a good company at all!!"

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You might find a few people you like and could become friends with. But, that's a big "might"

Cons

This is a very large corporation and you should know this coming in. Employees are numbers and this company tries very hard to say they're customer service focused, but the bottom line is just that...the bottom line. Money and making your numbers is most important!! If you're doing well, then you have to better, they tell you, because you now have to make up for the properties not doing well and when AVB makes a promise to their shareholders, about how much MORE revenue they'll make year-over-year, then gosh-darn it, they will make those numbers at all costs!! I read other reviewers commenting on the high increases they give residents. That's an understatement! They HAVE to make more and more money so residents be damned, either pay or get out!! Employees....don't like it? Then get out! HR says they "care" about employees opinions, but no way. I see the responses, on these reviews, saying how they care about our feelings and really hope we go tell someone our concerns. Do that and your a gonner! Once you're pegged as being a problem, they start the documentation trail (written counselings) and then you're out. And I've seen people comment about this being a gossip friendly company. Oh boy is it!! This company should have it's own reality show. It's funny, vicious, sad and downright deplorable! And the pay....haven't even talked about that!! Have you heard about the new bonus plan. They'll scream at you about how you can "make 3-times your bonuses", but that's not true. You take a 12.5% hourly PAYCUT for this new plan too! So you make even less money (which was pretty low even in this industry) and you MAY or MAY NOT make your goals. If your goal is to get 8 leases and you get 3 then your get NOTHING!!! And this is happening all over the place. So, now they've turned us into money-grubbing back-stabbing nutballs trying to steal leases from each other. It's really disgusting! I wonder who got a VP position for coming up with that program! Do yourself a favor and keep perusing other companies on this site. AvalonBay is NOT the one you want to be with.

Advice to Management

Spend a day in our shoes and you'll see what it's like to be treated by people like you. Things would change in a minute if you really knew what was going on!!

Dec 29, 2015 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. I'm sorry to hear that you are not enjoying your experience at AvalonBay. Our goal is to provide a great place to work for our ... More

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am allowed to work with a male who has been written up several times over the past few years for sexual harassment. And he is held up by management as a shining example of what each person should strive to be.

Cons

Same as the cons. So a word to the wise.... and I have witnessed this.... this same male who has been written up for sexual harassment has more complaints covered up by management. I am waiting for someone to really get mad and sue the company. As it is an open secret that he does this and has been for years. I have only worked here for a little over a year, but I have heard him, seen his emails to other associates, and yet the upper management still manage to keep him employed.

Advice to Management

I see a lawsuit in your future if this keeps happening. The statement that "a write only stays on you record for 6 months" is really a joke for and continued inappropriate behavior. I am also expected to give up any persaonal life for the company. Really? We all have families....

Sep 25, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your concern with us. We take any type of harassment in the workplace seriously and have a strict policy against this type of behavior. We strongly encourage ... More