AvalonBay Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 6, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timothy J. Naughton

Pros
  • Great work life balance, extremely helpful & consistent support from regional & corporate offices (in 21 reviews)

• great benefits, great team nice company (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work-life balance, but that's standard in the industry (in 12 reviews)

• I have also seen great employees be pushed out of the company by upper management (in 12 reviews)

"Limited Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

AvalonBay recruits great people. Their leasing offices are well staffed with people who provide exceptional customer service, but above all else, every office has a great team.

Cons

Very limited opportunities for growth. Do not accept an entry level position with an expectation to rise in ranks quickly. AvalonBay does not have many openings for positions of skilled labor.

Advice to Management

Recognize the talent you have and maximize the output from that talent. An employee with management experience working as a CC should be valued much higher that a CC without. Management should actively be engaged in finding roles for their employees that best fit their skill sets and expertise.

Mar 17, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for your review. We're very fortunate to have such excellent on-site teams providing first-class customer service every day. As such, our associates deserve support from their management ... More

2. "Hard work means nothing."

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Entry level pay is okay and they love to feed you.

Cons

They tell you to prove yourself and you can possibly get a spot on day shift. However people who don't produce but who are "liked" seem to get those slots. While others who literally need day shift are told they can't change shifts due to the business need. They never give bonus checks on time. They fire most of the good quality people too. The turnover rate is crazy. Raises shouldn't be based on classes.

Advice to Management

What you are willing to do for workers who produce less offer to those who produce the best.

Mar 21, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review and I'm very sorry to hear your experience thus far at AvalonBay has not been a more positive one. Your feedback will be shared internally and I encourage you to reach out ... More

3. "Beware of work load"

Former Freelancer - Matineance Technician in Quincy, MA
    Former Freelancer - Matineance Technician in Quincy, MA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good co workers.

Cons

Not enough time and help to meet job expectations/deadlines.

Advice to Management

More Techs at the larger location s.

5. "Maintenance"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician

Pros

Consistent work week. Good company events. Good benefits. Apartment discounts. Very stable.

Cons

Everyone has a fear of corporate for unimportant reasons. Some of the people they hire makes you wonder how they got hired. Forced to be the "bad guy" when it came to move out charges. NO bonus program or added incentives to maintenance when the community reviews and scores reflected maintenance work not the office.

Advice to Management

Create incentives for maintenance. They do more than you think. Take time to learn all of your employees names. It's concerning when you see them at least twice a month and they don't know your name.

6. "Concierge"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the tenants are lovely.

Cons

No Security guards to protect the overnight workers just in case anything happens. When I initially started Avalon rented to nice respectable working families regardless of ethnic background which is cool. However in my third year and third supervisor / manager Avalon began letting all types of people into the building. As long as you can pay. It didn't matter what you did or the type of person you were. (ie: respectful.)

Advice to Management

Watch who you allow in your building. Just because someone has enough to pay the deposit and monthly rent does not mean they get their money working a 9 to 5!!!

"Unsupported by management"

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Mamaroneck, NY
    Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Mamaroneck, NY

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fully engaging experience, good benefits, tuition reimbursement, sense of teamwork. They are willing to train and they give you the ability to move up in their company

Cons

The Company uses minimal staff at each site and in most cases leave sites understaffed permanently. They show favoritism towards ethnic employees as oppose to treating everyone equal.

Advice to Management

Make sure all employees are treated equally

"Community Consultant"

Former Employee - Community Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Community Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall a good company to work for, but honestly the pay became almost insulting. We are taught to act like owners and go over and beyond as consultants. An average community consultant at AVB is still better quality than most but I was not compensated as such. Team atmosphere and training was really a great focus compared to other PM companies I have been with.

Cons

Pay is low, housing discount, new bonus structure. The technology used is a bit behind, too many meetings about meetings.

Advice to Management

My community manager couldn't even explain my new bonus structure to me. Please teach your CM and CSS's how to use a bonus calculator. I would've stayed if my pay didn't get cut down to what I started at 4 years ago.

If Avalonbay is so forward in thinking, why did you cut back pay? More GREAT associates will leave just because of this recession pay cut.

Aug 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thanks for your review and for sharing your thoughts. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the team work environment and the training you received. Consistent feedback in favor of a more ... More

"Service Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Good company atmosphere (people) colleague

Cons

Working conditions poor in the field - some treated second class

Aug 20, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback! I'm really glad that you're having such a great experience with your colleagues, and disappointed to hear the con. Please reach your to the management team or HR for some ... More

"Good company"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Valley Stream, NY
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Valley Stream, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Avalon is a great company. You can meet some really genuine people who care about helping you reach your potential

Cons

Management can be quite mediocre from time to time. Certain people are not qualified to be in management and there is a strong culture of gossiping.

Advice to Management

Better qualified managers are needed. Delegating isn't managing.

Aug 20, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback. I agree that AvalonBay is a great company and cares about its employees. Your comments about management are concerning and I encourage you to reach out to your regional ... More

"Consultant"

Pros

only do it if you live and breath customer service

Cons

be ready to bend over

Jun 19, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for the feedback and the review.