AvalonBay Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 11, 2017

AvalonBay Communities President and CEO Timothy J. Naughton
Timothy J. Naughton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • AVB is a great collaborative environment where everyone is respectful and honestly concerned with work / life balance (in 34 reviews)

• great benefits, great team nice company (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work-life balance, but that's standard in the industry (in 12 reviews)

• Not a lot of communication from upper management (in 14 reviews)

1. "Leasing Consultant"

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Very large company with properties across the US

Cons

Very slow process for advancement

2. "Great place in some ways but company is top heavy"

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Awesome onsite management and team atmosphere. Great benefits and work life balance

Cons

Inefficient business practices and corporate greed

Aug 31, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. We're glad you enjoyed your time with us and had the pleasure of working with such a great on-site team. We wish you the best and hope your experience at... More

3. "Great culture Great Friends"

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

You get to meet people with great moral compasses , eagerness to work hard, and work together towards a common goal of success.

Cons

Corporate needs more focus on people skills.

Advice to Management

Support and communicate with your associates frequently and honestly.

4. "Mostly Positive"

Current Employee - Sss
    Current Employee - Sss

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cares very deeply for their employees' wellbeing; very giving; ethical/generous/professional

Cons

The pay hurts sometimes, I wish the CSS/SSS positions made a little more; the new pay-structure for leasing agents needs to be adjusted so it's less severe (too crippling is not meeting the goal, far too rewarding on exceeding... needs to be tightened up a bit). The new Lead Pilot is very irritating & I'd much prefer it be in the hands of the SM/SSS to divvy out leads & monitor their lead mgmt.

Too many initiatives are promoting cutthroat competition in leasing & it's very divisive/hurtful to the team dynamics/morale as a whole. Company needs to modernize some things too... solar energies, app's, etc.

Advice to Management

More focus on continual growth, please. I feel too many people get tossed by the wayside or neglected for the long-term.

Jun 1, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review. The team dynamic is tremendously important to all of us at AVB, so I appreciate you offering this feedback and will share it with RS leadership. Thanks again for sharing... More

5. "Great Culture, Not Enough Work"

Current Employee - Accountant
    Current Employee - Accountant

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Great company environment/culture. Really great benefits

Cons

A lot of down time

Apr 3, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for your review. So glad to hear you're enjoying the work environment and culture at AVB. I think challenge is important to staying engaged in any job, so I encourage you to connect with... More

"Sales and Service Supervisor"

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Lots of career opportunities with how many properties they have you can transfer pretty much to any major city they have properties in (mostly along the coasts).

Cons

Many career advancements seem to be based on favoritism and tenure as opposed to demonstration of skill (which could be great if your are a favorite or have been with the company for the long time).

7. "Work there for experience then move on"

Former Employee - Community Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than a year)

Pros

I believe the pay format has changed but when I originally started as a consultant I started at 16. The nice part of the job are the bonuses (75 for new residents) when you lease an apartment. You are generally working with nice people.

Cons

You have alot of different job responsibilities and often times not enough resources or time to resolve things, bad facilities with the same issues, angry residents, the fact that Avalonbay is a big corporation and they are not flexible with vacation.

"Great Company with Large Internal Culture Problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great access to resources for work and personal use, including housing rebates and home improvement rebates. Large network of people with different career and personal backgrounds.

Cons

VERY corporate work environment. Changes to office space, department rules require form submissions, reviews, and approvals which can take weeks despite small department groups.

Senior and executive management is very reactive rather than proactive with office culture. They respect company-wide survey ratings more than the voices within individual departments.

Advice to Management

Department and group heads must be trained as leaders and managers. Generating a positive office culture requires time and resources, which should be done proactively rather than responding to a survey.

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources

I'm glad you're taking advantage of some of the many resources we enjoy as AVB associates. I agree that all manner of associate feedback can be instrumental in driving change within our business and... More

"Good people, bad management"

Former Employee - Community Consultant
    Former Employee - Community Consultant

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

The people you work with (both associates and residents) are great. There are a lot of tools to make the job easier, although they sometimes miss the mark. The hours are predictable office hours (M-F or T-Sa) and you get bonuses and paid time off, including holidays. There is room to move laterally within the company.

Cons

- Upper management does not understand the onsite experience and cannot offer useful guidance or set realistic expectations. We were expected to request reviews and to get positive NPS results, but most residents would not recommend a community where grounds are not being kept up and the rent increases significantly every year even if their service requests are done in 3 hours.
    - There is often a breakdown of communication between parties (management, associates, office, maintenance, residents, vendors, etc.) which makes the job harder than it needs to be.
    - AvalonBay is publicly traded and has a responsibility to its shareholders, but has lost sight of the human side of this people-centered business. Upper management is more concerned with profits than its own people. The worst part was getting to know a family after leasing them an apartment for 12 months and then increasing their rent 25% if they wished to renew.
    - General lack of loyalty and minimal career advancement opportunities. It was more common for an associate to leave AVB for another property management company and then be rehired in a higher position with a raise than for someone to actually be promoted from within. They typically hired supervisors from outside of the company and often ended up hiring incompetent or unprofessional associates.

Advice to Management

Value your associates and residents. The development side of AVB would not be so successful if it weren't for these people and it will not continue its success unless there is a serious cultural shift back to the middle of "sales and service".

Sep 12, 2016 – Human Resources

Thanks very much for offering your feedback. I agree that much of AVB's success is owed to our incredible on-site teams, and in the importance of continuing to focus on our associates and residents... More

"Community Consultant"

Former Employee - Community Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with wonderful people that really cared for those who lived within the community. Depending on the community you work in, it can be a positive experience.

Cons

Slow to respond to customer complaints, always felt like they preferred to save money before customer service. This was the case no matter what community you worked at. you just had to work with what you had.

Sep 12, 2016 – Human Resources

I'm so glad that you enjoyed working with an awesome team at your community. We're grateful for your feedback and for your contributions to the AvalonBay team.