AvalonBay Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

AvalonBay Communities Reviews

Updated April 11, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Timothy J. Naughton

Pros
  • The company promotes work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• great benefits, great team nice company (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work-life balance, but that's standard in the industry (in 12 reviews)

• I have also seen great employees be pushed out of the company by upper management (in 14 reviews)

1. "Work there for experience then move on"

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than a year)

Pros

I believe the pay format has changed but when I originally started as a consultant I started at 16. The nice part of the job are the bonuses (75 for new residents) when you lease an apartment. You are generally working with nice people.

Cons

You have alot of different job responsibilities and often times not enough resources or time to resolve things, bad facilities with the same issues, angry residents, the fact that Avalonbay is a big corporation and they are not flexible with vacation.

"Great Company with Large Internal Culture Problems"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great access to resources for work and personal use, including housing rebates and home improvement rebates. Large network of people with different career and personal backgrounds.

Cons

VERY corporate work environment. Changes to office space, department rules require form submissions, reviews, and approvals which can take weeks despite small department groups.

Senior and executive management is very reactive rather than proactive with office culture. They respect company-wide survey ratings more than the voices within individual departments.

Advice to Management

Department and group heads must be trained as leaders and managers. Generating a positive office culture requires time and resources, which should be done proactively rather than responding to a survey.

Oct 10, 2016 – Human Resources

I'm glad you're taking advantage of some of the many resources we enjoy as AVB associates. I agree that all manner of associate feedback can be instrumental in driving change within our business and ... More

"Community Consultant"

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with wonderful people that really cared for those who lived within the community. Depending on the community you work in, it can be a positive experience.

Cons

Slow to respond to customer complaints, always felt like they preferred to save money before customer service. This was the case no matter what community you worked at. you just had to work with what you had.

Sep 12, 2016 – Human Resources

I'm so glad that you enjoyed working with an awesome team at your community. We're grateful for your feedback and for your contributions to the AvalonBay team.

"Some good- poor opportunity to grow internally"

Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Maintenance Technician in Edison, NJ

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

-ton of health,investment and vision benefits.
    - lots of software programs and policies in place to keep the product consistent.

Cons

- promotions recently were not based off of ability or results rather if someone interviewed well.
    - difficulty to transfer to a location that worked better for your personal life. Direct report never told regional manager or asked permission either, just made a personal decision.

Advice to Management

Take care of the current people as I'm one of about twenty to leave NJ in past few months due to simple fixes.

Aug 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed some of the great benefits of being an AvalonBay associate. Growth based on achievement is an important approach to how we operate, and we encourage ... More

"Former employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Derby, CT

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than a year)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Salary could have been more competitive

Aug 11, 2016 – Talent Acquisition Specialist

Thank you for your review and for your time with us at AvalonBay. We wish you every success in your future endeavors.

"Okay Company"

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company in itself is pretty good and pretty simple if you know what you are doing. If you have a Great manager you can easily move up, if you don't have a manager willing to go to bat for you then forget getting promoted. If you ever get the opportunity to work under Todd as a manager you will learn a great deal about the company, its systems and much more.

Cons

To get promoted it is all about who you know. Unfortunately if you do something small to make someone mad forget getting promoted ever! Once you have done anything small to upset someone then they will pretty much blacklist you forever. I worked for the company for over 3 years and wanted to move up and got over looked for promotions for people that had been with the company a significant amount of time less than me. The company if also full of gossipers, so I highly recommend that you keep things to yourself. The bonus structure with the company sucks, of you are at a stabilized community you make a measly $75 per lease and after tax it is around $50 which for all of the work you have to do for your move-ins it doesn't make it worth it. You do get bonuses for renewals, however it is still $75 per lease and it is divided among everyone in the office.

Advice to Management

Look to advance people who really work hard for it and do try their hardest to achieve that. You also need to look at increasing lease bonuses.

Jan 8, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are in the process of improving our on-site bonus structure, so stay tuned. I encourage you to contact your local HR representative to discuss.

"I was challenged any very much respected my position. Management was excellent!"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great management... Yearly reviews that give you the opportunity to learn and grow..

Cons

In my location there were not many Avalons and so too many people were interested in the same position.

Jan 8, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for the review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your time working with AvalonBay.

"Clique-ish Culture, Promotes Corporate Brown-nosers"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, matching 401k program, and chances for promotion. Base pay was average, starting at $15/hour for Leasing in the Bay Area. Lots of structure, lots of organization. Clear channels of communication between the corporate office, Customer Care Center, and other offices. Great software, Salesforce and MRI are great platforms in order to keep communication open and clear.

Cons

They expect A LOT out of an employee, which can be a good thing. Depending on the portfolio director, these expectations can be scrupulous and unrealistic. The way they treat residents is uncanny: $300 - $400 rent increases for renewals, even above going market rate is outrageous.

Some community managers were horrible. They would sit in the back office and talk on the phone ALL DAY, refusing to help residents even when residents were requesting to speak to a manager. One manager in particular used to swear and speak loudly about residents in a derogatory way even when there were other people (non-staff) in the office. So horrible.

Want to get promoted? Make sure to brown nose your way to the top and hang out with upper management. It's a very clique-ish culture.They say merit gets your way up towards a promotion... only if you have a manager that supports and shows an employee the tools to succeed. But mostly, it's who you turn your brown nose towards and how well you can show off. Hard work really only keeps you employed, but not necessarily promoted.

In the end, the bottom line is what it comes down to: profit for stockholders.

Advice to Management

Pay people more and treat your employees with respect. Empower them to grow and maybe you won't have as much turn around.

Bonuses would be great for everyone and not just upper management. Maintenance especially works really hard and don't get paid well enough to live in the same place where they work.

Aug 20, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your review – I appreciate your well thought out feedback. I'm also glad you found the benefits great and the communication clear and concise at AvalonBay. Wishing you luck in your ... More

10. "Corporate mentality with growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Community Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Community Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of structure.

Clear and concise communication.

Strong growth potential.

Cons

Trying to get renters to close contracts on insanely overpriced apartments was a challenge.

Lots of meetings.

Such a large company means focusing on liability concerns. There were so many things we were trained to say and many more that we were trained were forbidden. I felt like a puppet.

Aug 20, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for the review. We really appreciate your positive feedback on strong communication, as that has been an area of focus. Wishing you all the best.

"Maintenance Supervisor"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great, Company not afraid to promote employees to management level positions!!! Company is very customer driven and is willing to go the extra mile for them.

Cons

Not speaking in regards to my pay but I am speaking in behalf of my employees...Pay is'nt all that great. our competitors pay $3-$5 more for the similar positions. We ask so much out of them on a daily basis but the pay definitely does not reflect that at all!

Advice to Management

pay employees more! they deserve it! you will be able to demand more if you did. Its scary too see AVB adopt programs from a company that went out of business. There is a reason why they went out of business!