AvalonBay Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
AvalonBay Communities President and CEO Timothy J. Naughton
Timothy J. Naughton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • AVB is a great collaborative environment where everyone is respectful and honestly concerned with work / life balance (in 34 reviews)

• great benefits, great team nice company (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work-life balance, but that's standard in the industry (in 12 reviews)

• I have also seen great employees be pushed out of the company by upper management (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growth company where you can make a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The size of the company offers the opportunity for everyone to really make a difference, unlike other very large companies where you can get lost among other employees. AvalonBay is a growth company which in and of itself creates excitement and momentum. You feel you are part of something bigger than your job

Cons

Sometimes decision making can be overly analytical, but the quality of decision making is proof that it might be worth it.

Advice to Management

Invest more in formal leadership development - there are great people that have the raw material to lead the company in the future

Apr 3, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review and feedback. I couldn't agree more about AVB being a place where you can really make a difference and feel like you're contributing to the company's... More

"Constant Micromanaging and Incompetent Managers"

Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Rockland, NY
    Current Employee - Leasing Consultant in Rockland, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

401K, Health Insurance.....that's about it.

Cons

Low Pay for the amount of work that is done. Managers take all the praise and recognition for the hard work of leasing consultants. Leasing Consultants are expected to do everything and managers frequently delegate their tasks to the consultants. No room to grow unless you suck up and play nasty office politics. Very hostile work enviroment and main focus is on survey scores instead. Mind-numbingly boring and very slow paced. If you are looking for a boring, dead end job, then this is the perfect place for you!

Advice to Management

Live up to the promises you make your employes about growth within the company or be honest with them and tell them the only way to move up is to suck up.

"Disrespectful and discriminating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is nothing good about the company, you get regular benefits package, except for the rent discount in any of their properties, which after you leave the company they eF you up and make you pay some ridiculous extra charges.

Cons

- Discrimination ( not a single person of color is in the management)
    - Poor career opportunities (if you are not white american, can't achieve anything there)
    - Hours - make you work crazy hours and no appreciation for it

I can go on and on about whats wrong with the place, just stay away and don't work there

"Leasing Professional"

Former Employee - Leasing Associate in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Leasing Associate in Bethesda, MD

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun, engaging work atmosphere with good breaks away from work.

Cons

Horrible, snobby management who do not help or assist customers or employees

Advice to Management

total turnover

"Great company, horrible management in local complex"

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Pomona, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Pomona, CA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Honestly, this is a great company. You get stable hours that are usually 9:30-6:30pm and two set days off, usually Sunday and one other day. It is easy to have a work/personal life balance. I believe there are 11-15 paid holidays, 11 sick days that are paid, and 2 weeks of paid vacation. It's pretty awesome. They provide you with online training in the first 90 days and continue to provide training after. I believe they also review you for a raise after a year as well.

Compensation is around $14.50 hourly + commission ($75 per lease). Paychecks after tax were usually around $900, and the bonus check was usually around $2000.

Cons

Yes, training via computer is provided (but it sucks!!!) talk to any of the new hires, they are completely clueless and it honestly takes a good 4-5 months to fully grasp the concepts of apartment day-to-day business with the amount of paperwork and procedure that is needed for each task. At my particular location, simple mistakes were met with write-ups and there was no room for error. Very unforgiving. This does not seem to happen in other locations.

I was micromanaged to the point where i was timed when using the restroom, and given dirty looks if i clocked in from lunch a minute late. Also, you will be written up if you think outside the box and actually try to help residents (this will be under insubordination). AvalonBay seems to want people that are robots and follow policy instead of actually helping residents and genuinely caring about them. If you are excited about life, don't work here.

Advice to Management

Better compensation for leasing, more well-trained HR staff, and availability/visibility to employees

"This company is all about money; squeezing every dollar possible out of residents and working people into the ground."

Pros

Great benefits. Big company with big resources.

Cons

There is a tremendous effort put into making things "look good" to the stock holders. Associates are measured so tightly to adhere to every possible metric imaginable, that the work load is completely driven by "which team has the best numbers". The result is an exhausting work environment that feels like the leaders are trying to get blood from a stone & don't really care about associates or residents.
    Also, duplicitous behavior from some of the exec team; giving directives, then passing the buck when the result doesn't pan out in their favor so they did not take the heat. Very dissapointing experience.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to measure people with JUST numbers; sometimes situational aspects should be weighed heavily. Consider investigating programs such as the 'Activity Vector Analysis' system created by Walter V. Clark in order to pair teams well instead of just throwing people together in groups without thinking about their attributes & personality conflicts.

"Fake company, fake people!"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much. You get apaycheck, but you can get one elsewhere too!

Cons

I work in the LA area and OMG has this company changed! A couple of years ago Avalon took over part of a company, Archstone, that did so bad it went out of business! Well, someone didn't tell the former Archstone employees this. They feel they took over Avalon and they just came in with all sorts of ideas about how to change the company. And the executives are actually allowing it. It's like they feel bad for this company, and it's crazy-paid employees, and are giving them cart blanche to do what they want. They all came in with much higher titles and higher pay and they don't know nearly as much as the current Avalon people. We all couldn't believe our eyes and ears! Major animosity going on! The executives are just out of control. What are they looking for in LA? Well, let's just say they like their "leasing girls" to be quite pretty and look darn good. Curled hair, makeup, and the kind that can 'attract new residents'. The regionalmanagers are just awful! Mean-spirited, belittling and always on you to get your numbers. It reminds me of used car sales. If you don't get your numbers, they write the heck up out of you and then will just fire you! This has happened to SEVERAL associates. It's very sad. Good people, doing thier best, but just tossed out. They want these great numbers because they want thier big bonuses. Yes, this is true. These people get big bonuses and you better not be in the way of them getting it. This company experiences so much turn over, they know they'll just find some other slob, and then work them to death. And then make them feel soooo lucky to be working for this company. They pretty much brainwash you into thinking this is the best company and you should feel so lucky. And then you aren't supposed to ask for raises or promotions. Again, very sad indeed. The LA region is a very stressful region for sure and you really have to have some major thick skin to work here. They definitely have their favorites for sure too. If you're not a 'chosen one' then run for your life.

Advice to Management

Please remind everyone this is A-V-A-L-O-N-B-A-Y and not some other failed company. Please go back to the way it used to be, when people actually enjoyed their jobs and like the company!

"Low employee morale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a newly remodeled office building.

Cons

Over worked and under paid employees at the customer care center in Virginia Beach.

Advice to Management

Professionalism is very important in an work environment.

"Community Manager"

Former Employee - Community Manager
    Former Employee - Community Manager

Pros

Nice communities and many wonderful team members below upper management

Cons

Upper management lies and acts like they care about the associates but after over 10 years I found this was not the case! Just beware!

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror and tell associates the truth! Practice the same code of conduct as the associates you manage! Treat associates the way you would like to be treated and above all... Don't brag and be proud of associates you've help "get rid of"!

Jan 8, 2016 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for your feedback and your tenure with AvalonBay. I'm sorry to hear that your recent experience was not positive. I will share your concerns with our leadership.

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I am allowed to work with a male who has been written up several times over the past few years for sexual harassment. And he is held up by management as a shining example of what each person should strive to be.

Cons

Same as the cons. So a word to the wise.... and I have witnessed this.... this same male who has been written up for sexual harassment has more complaints covered up by management. I am waiting for someone to really get mad and sue the company. As it is an open secret that he does this and has been for years. I have only worked here for a little over a year, but I have heard him, seen his emails to other associates, and yet the upper management still manage to keep him employed.

Advice to Management

I see a lawsuit in your future if this keeps happening. The statement that "a write only stays on you record for 6 months" is really a joke for and continued inappropriate behavior. I am also expected to give up any persaonal life for the company. Really? We all have families....

Sep 25, 2015 – Hiring Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your concern with us. We take any type of harassment in the workplace seriously and have a strict policy against this type of behavior. We strongly encourage... More