AvalonBay Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

AvalonBay Communities Reviews

Updated January 19, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • AVB is a great collaborative environment where everyone is respectful and honestly concerned with work / life balance (in 35 reviews)

• great benefits, great team nice company (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work-life balance, but that's standard in the industry (in 12 reviews)

• Not a lot of communication from upper management (in 14 reviews)

"Admirable Corporate Culture!"

Current Employee - Sales & Service Supervisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Sales & Service Supervisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for AvalonBay for 4 years (this month) and I have seen the best and worst aspects of the company and I am still very happy to come to work every day. The company is full of friendly, ambitious and generally happy employees and I feel this can be attributed to the culture. As a company, we focus on three core values; encouraging each other to do the right thing (commitment to integrity), individual growth (continuous improvement) and helping those in need (spirit of caring). These core values are also my own personal values and I take them very seriously in my life. I have also been able to travel with AvalonBay, moving from Northern Virginia to Orange County, CA then Los Angeles, back to OC and eventually back to Washington, DC. With each move I learned more about the company and was able to grow myself, being promoted twice in the last two years. I have also utilized the 20% housing discount living in an Avalon Community ever since I started working for the company. This was not only convenient, but also helped me to better understand our customers. I have been lucky enough to work with many different co-workers and managers and have had a generally positive experience everywhere I went. I am definitely happy with my experiences at AvalonBay!

Cons

1.) Frequent and/or sudden changes in policies, procedures and compensation.
    2.) The housing discount could be better
    3.) Disparity between the Corporate Office and On-Site Associates
    4.) Navigating how to share ideas can be unnecessarily difficult
    5.) Training is done mostly through online videos and is not my preferred method of learning.

Advice to Management

1.) There are frequent changes. While these changes are not a "Con", as they are usually an effort to improve something, sometimes they are implemented more suddenly than I care for.
    2.) The housing discount is good, but I think there should be a higher housing discount based on certain factors such as tenure with the company or having a senior position (Assistant Managers do not have the ability to receive a higher discount, even if they are the only one managing the property). I also believe that employees that live at the property they work at should receive a higher housing discount as you are living amongst your residents and inevitably work off the clock due to this factor.
    3.) There is a distinct and noticeable disconnect between the Corporate Office and the on-site associates. We don't really know what they do and I don't believe they have a good understanding of what we do. This has led to an isolation between the departments rather than a more cohesive, team-oriented dynamic among all AvalonBay employees. Honestly it's strange... like we work for different company than they do.
    4.) It can be very difficult to find the right person to share a bright idea with. Many ideas of mine have fallen on deaf ears because I simply wasn't communicating it to the correct person. Perhaps this should be someone's job in the Corporate Initiatives department. Soliciting ideas from current associates, investigating their value and implementing them when they prove to be workable.
    5.) Management is very aware of this issue and has made efforts to improve it, which I admire and appreciate. I just hope the solution is a method of learning that is more conducive to retaining the information and being able to apply it easily.

Jan 8, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your very thoughtful review and happy anniversary! Clearly your first few years have been pretty exciting and we're so glad you're making the most of the opportunity that AVB offers... More

2. "Concierge"

Current Employee - Concierge in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Concierge in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime, benefits , growth in company

Cons

Need to have more raises and promotion for concierge

Advice to Management

Raise starting pay for concierge

Jan 3, 2018 – Human Resources

It's great to hear you're enjoying working at AVB. The concierge role can be a great introduction to the property operations and management career paths. Be sure to discuss with your manager about... More

3. "Friendly Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with AvalonBay almost 1 year part-time. The friendly environment is a pleasure to be surrounded by on a daily basis. There is always someone willing & available to help whenever you need it.

Cons

I wish PT help could accrue paid days off. I would love to be earning more $.

Dec 11, 2017 – Human Resources

We're so glad you're enjoying your role here at AVB and that you have the full support of your colleagues whenever you need it. It's a great feeling and one that we hope everyone at AVB enjoys... More

4. "Best Company to work for!!"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Laurel, MD
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Laurel, MD

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been working at Avalon as Community Manger for 4 years and the company is amazing. They have great regional mangers in the Mid-Atlantic region that truly care for their associates. Especially, Kathy Chandler and Chris Frank. There is no other company I would ever consider working for, even if I was offered more money to leave Avalon.

Cons

Pay could be a little bit better but not complaining.

Dec 7, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for your review. We're thrilled to hear how much you’re enjoying your time thus far with AVB and we’re grateful for all your hard work. I agree, our regional management teams are... More

5. "Customer Care Center does not care at all!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The “little” people working the floor. Great teams and floor managers.

Cons

Senior management is disconnected from its employees. Only care about bottom line.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. It’s time this sector of AvalonBay really tries to put its employees first. Residents and money always come before the well-being of the employee within the Customer Care Center. Employees are overworked, over-stressed, underpaid, and undervalued. The atmosphere within the Care Center feels very demoralizing. Your duties may be explained during your interview only for them to throw you on the phones because of the high turnover within that department of the company. There is no differential between roles unless you’re considered a corporate employee. Employees who came in as processors will still be graded on the same scale as those who are on the phones full time. A processors job can contain various roles such as statement creation, balancing ledgers, researching disputes, reviewing invoices, void and reissuing of checks, payment reversals, financial breakdown creations, etc. And with all of this going on the senior managers will still pull you from your main duty to assist on phones and they will tell you “it’s business need” as if they are running some kind of plantation. Mind you, most of the companies workers are black/minority and all senior managers are white and have no connection to those working under them nor do they care about their feelings. Recently the company did employee surveys, and the center found out just how upset its employees were with the direction that the company was going. If you are going to constant add on additional duties to an individual that was not discussed upon at the time of hiring... then maybe you should consider increasing their already measly pay. The scorecard systems used to determine who gets bonuses each month is a constant failure for those on processing teams because it is extremely hard to measure the amount of work one does when they complete so many tasks/roles a day. Imagine completing multiple duties a month only to receive a scorecard that tells you that you amount to pretty much nothing within the company, and your manager having to reassure you that your job is not on jeopardy because he too knows that scorecard system is flawed and bogus. This is why the scorecard metrics were changed monthly because either we exceeded their goals too much or the new goals set in place were so unfair that no one could reach them. The Customer Care Center was a fine job when I started in 2013, but after two years it only got worse. This can be attributed to the new program for promotions and raises that is not based upon the work you do or your managers word, but on books that the senior managers themselves should be reading as none of them no how to be effective leaders. You will only find horrible bosses in the Customer Care Center. This is a job focused more upon quantity than it is quality. I am grateful for the team I had as they made the day go by smoothly despite the dirt constantly thrown at us by senior managers. I do believe AvalonBay is a great company to work for but the Customer Care Center does not hold true to it’s greatness. I would advise anyone interested to work for the company to work onsite within the communities. As a customer care center employee you are treated as a stepchild of the company and you are held responsible for all the mistakes made at the community level, which is an abundance of mistakes. You will reprimanded if you ever voice that associates at the community level are poorly trained. It sucks to know you’re more knowledgeable in your role but being paid less than onsite employees who make more than enough mistakes to be fired, but they never are. Working on the customer care center is very high stress, and you are micromanaged all the way through. There is no freedom here. The system Verint will be sure of that. Working here showed me exactly what I did not want from a company I was working for but due to all the crap I put up with there for almost 5 years I can say I was overly prepared for my new role within a new company who treats its employees with the upmost respect. Once the Customer Care Center learns to put their employees first and then it’s clients it will thrive. Until then it will remain a place of high turnover and angry/upset employees. I understand that jobs can be hard to come by so if you draw the short straw and must work in the center please use the position as a stepping stone to something greater. You will sit in town halls to hear about how the company is building $100 million apartment complexes in high cost of living cities while you’re breaking your back for a company who won’t give you a raise unless you complete courses through the pointless career atlas which is a map to nowhere. There is a reason that the Customer Care Center was built in an area vastly different from the cities the company builds its communities. It’s that way so they can pay you less while you work like a slave and still struggle. Welcome to the Customer Care Center where they do not care at all!

PS. It says a lot about a company who has majority minority/black workers who wholeheartedly participate in work culture such as celebrating Mardi Gras and dressing in green St. Patrick's Day (holidays not culturally relevant to them), then denying them the opportunity to celebrate Black History Month because "it will cause issues".

6. "Leasing Consultant"

I worked at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Very large company with properties across the US

Cons

Very slow process for advancement

Dec 21, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for posting a review. Professional development and promoting from within both figure importantly in our approach at AVB and I'm sorry you felt as though it was slow-going. Thanks again and we... More

7. "Concierge"

Current Employee - Concierge in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Concierge in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty, pretty, pretty good.

Cons

Honestly, none to my knowledge.

Nov 15, 2017 – Human Resources

We're delighted to hear it! Thanks for being part of the team!

"Great Company"

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time

Pros

Benefits are competitive
    Great social interaction with employees
    Residents are nice
    Training is beneficial
    Amenities to offer residents are limitless
    Great employees that care about their job.

Cons

Compared to other companies, compensation is pretty low. I got started at $14.50 last year and got an increase of only 43 cents. I hope at some point that Avalonbay realizes that people cannot simply live off of bonuses alone. There are really slow seasons and we shouldn't have to wait 9 months just to see a decent paycheck. I also wish the associate housing discount increased at least by 10%.
    I just wish hard working employees were rewarded and compensated for what they're worth.

Advice to Management

Please raise hourly pay and housing discount

Nov 29, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. We're so pleased to hear that you're enjoying being a part of the AVB team and the many benefits that come with it. We work tirelessly to ensure that... More

9. "Great all around company with room for growth."

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounted rent - 20%
    No micromanaging
    Good work life balance

Cons

Pay could be better
    Not allowed to accept discounts from vendors who offer
    Being off at 6:30 is kind of late
    You have to work Saturdays

Advice to Management

Nothing, managers are pretty cool

Nov 8, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks very much for your review. We appreciate all of your hard work and wish you every success as you grow your career at AVB!

10. "Warm, friendly family atmosphere where everyone is willing to help each other."

Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Avalon offers opportunities for most associates to advance their status and pay through a structured curriculum (Career Atlas). An individual has to want to do better and take advantage of the program to be successful. Bonuses in Customer Service and other departments are also a great way to basically double your income monthly (performance based). When you do a GREAT job all around, you are rewarded.

Cons

There really aren’t any if you lean on your own work ethic and drown out negativity. Be your own person and work smart. No reason why anyone can’t be successful unless they’re not putting forth the effort. Associates are doing it monthly, those who say it can’t be done aren’t fully applying themselves. If they redirect their energy, they will see different results!

Advice to Management

Continue to work with the challenging teammates and stress the importance of redirecting their energy into more positive. Control what they can and be more of a part of the solution than the problem. Negativity compounds the problem.

Nov 22, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. It’s great to hear you’re enjoying the supportive atmosphere at AVB and I agree that positive energy is tremendously important. It’s also... More