AvalonBay Communities Reviews | Glassdoor

AvalonBay Communities Reviews

Updated May 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The company promotes work/life balance (in 28 reviews)

• great benefits, great team nice company (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Not the best work-life balance, but that's standard in the industry (in 12 reviews)

• I have also seen great employees be pushed out of the company by upper management (in 14 reviews)

1. "Human Resources"

Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in New York, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked with AVB for 7 years now. As a large corporation they provide the salary and benefits you would expect. The growth over the past 7 years has been extraordinary, however the company's ability to manage the growth by was incredible. I believe one of our core values; continuous improvement, played a key role in this process. The culture here is also very unique in an extremely positive way. Open communication is encouraged and built into our culture. For example, we will gather all of our associates who work in our communities together multiple times a year to have quarterly meetings as well as appreciation day events.

Cons

Depending on the part of the organization you join, there may not be allot of levels to progress through. This is mostly true within the regional offices. With that said, there is always ample opportunity within your role to take on new experiences and grow your own skill sets to maintain and grow your marketability.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Apr 27, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for your review! I couldn't agree more, I think our core values have so much to do with our ability to grow while staying true to our vision and the culture at AVB.

2. "Best company to work for!"

Current Employee - Community Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I have been working for AvalonBay for 10 years now. You will notice that there are a lot of long term associates and this is due, in part, to the appreciation they show their employees. I have never worked for a company that has been more devoted to their associates. They offer great benefits, great compensation, opportunities for advancement, excellent support and training, and a level of motivation that keeps you WANTING to come to work, rather than HAVING to come to work!!! I know this sounds silly but I tell everyone "I have the best job in the world" and I genuinely mean it!

Cons

Honestly, the fact that they are so associate oriented prohibits me from considering other opportunities, even if it means a better financial opportunity.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep motivating your staff - the excitement is contagious.

May 11, 2017 – Human Resources

For me, reviews like yours one of the things that keep me pumped to come to work each day. So thanks for being part of this awesome AVB team!

3. "Exceptionally Great Place To Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The culture and people at AvalonBay are some of the best I have worked with.
    Continuously improving software/ staying ahead of the curve with the technology at hand.
    Family oriented from working to living environment.
    Promote growth from within.
    Continuously improving to promote a spirit of caring and safety.

Cons

Transitioning software from dated Lotus Notes to updated Oracle based product has been challenging but seems to be a much better product and worth the current challenges.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and I'm honored to work for such great people at a wonderful place.

May 10, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! It's great to hear how much you're enjoying AVB and that you value the company culture that we're so proud of. Glad to have you on the team.

5. "Good company, great culture"

Current Employee - Community Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life Balance. Solid benefits. Great corporate culture that is always looking to push its associates and help them excel. Tons of internal promotions and organic growth if you look for it.

Cons

No glaring cons, so anything I list would be very nit-picky, probably not worth mentioning anything at all.

Advice to Management

The only advice would be to make sure that all property managers are as inspired as mine have been. I've been at a property or two where the office culture is a bit stagnant- though I understand that fixing that can take a while.

May 12, 2017 – Human Resources

I'm glad you're enjoying our amazing company culture! As you know, associate engagement is always in focus at AVB, so feel free to discuss with your management team any ideas about how we can promote ... More

6. "General maintenence manager"

Current Employee - GMM in New York, NY
    Current Employee - GMM in New York, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Culture. all Associates are encouraged, appreciated, engaged and truly heard. It is the difference between being motivated and not.....

Cons

Like any major corporation, the workload can be overwhelming at times, but again, you are made to feel appreciated.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

7. "Going on 6 years with this amazing company"

Current Employee - Senior Community Consultant in Glen Cove, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Community Consultant in Glen Cove, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The culture of Avalon is all about working as a team.
    We are always striving to compete with our previous goals.
    There is always room for growth, and opportunities to work toward new rolls.
    Achievement is rewarded and recognized

Cons

No Avalon in Hawaii yet !

Advice to Management

More vacation time

8. "THIS is where you want to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked for AvalonBay Communities for almost 8+ years. In that time, I have been continuously challenged to grow, not only professionally, but personally as well. I can give you a long list of reasons why this is where you want to work, but here is a short list.

*Growth opportunities
    *Work/Life balance
    *Phenomenal training department
    *Amazing leadership, both on-site and in corporate offices
    *Connection to top leaders w/in the company (i.e. CEO, COO, etc.)
    *Co-workers that are more than associates, but a great support team
    *Brand recognition throughout the industry

Cons

There isn't anything bad I can say about the company, other than I wish I had started my career here.

Advice to Management

As a company we have done a great job of continuing to evolve and refine our operations. We have a exceptional leadership group. Keep up the amazing work! You've

May 25, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to post a review. It's inspiring to hearing from associates like yourself who have made the most of what AVB has to offer. We're very fortunate to have so many amazing and ... More

9. "I am proud to work for AvalonBay Communities"

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AvalonBay Communities is an amazing company that is full of opportunities and growth for those that are hungry for success. I've been working with Avalonbay for 4 years now and it was the best career decision I have ever made. I started as a Tech I and was developed into a Maintenance Supervisor. I am in the LA district and all of our directors are great leaders and teachers. The corporate team does a great job of showing us how they appreciate what we do for the company by constant communication and support, quality constructive feedback, and great associate quarterly award meetings. I'm extremely thankful for what I have learned with Avalonbay, it has guided me on a path I wouldn't change for anything. I know this progressive company is only going to grow and continue to be a lucrative career destination for positive hard working individuals.

Cons

The computers could use an upgrade but I think that's on the way

Advice to Management

Keep up the GREAT work

May 25, 2017 – Human Resources

I would be on that as well! I love hearing from associates who have grown so much in their careers with the company, and knowing that much of AVB's leadership have done the same as well. We ... More

10. "Sr. Community Manager"

Current Employee - Senior Community Manager in Elmsford, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Community Manager in Elmsford, NY

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits are great, and the culture of the company is a perfect fit for me. The working hours allow for a healthy work/life balance, and the company offers many resources for running a successful site. The company promotes from within on a regular basis, and takes associate feedback very seriously. The company is continuously improving and innovating. I love being part of a company that rewards driven associates, and views employees as valuable team members.

Cons

The pay scale is slightly lower than other property management companies. This can be challenging when hiring an associate. However, while it may take longer to find the right person to join our team, we typically find team members who appreciate the environment, and vast opportunities provided by Avalonbay.

Apr 19, 2017 – Human Resources

Thanks so much for your feedback. I appreciate your insight with regards to hiring new associates and finding those who are a great fit for the team. Certainly a worthwhile investment!

11. "honestly the best company iv ever worked with!!!"

Current Employee - Community Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Community Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at AvalonBay Communities full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company does so much research in every aspect of its day to day works! I have been in this business for over 12 years, and AvalonBay has blown my mind the way they are with not only our residents but their employees! My team is amazing, I love coming to work everyday!!!

Cons

ummmmmmm.............I really have none!!! I have never been happier with any company!

Advice to Management

You have been heaven-sent moving fresh to the city from half way across the country, I have never felt more welcome and happy to ne part of this team...no this Family!

Apr 19, 2017 – Human Resources

It's such a pleasure to hear how much you're enjoying being part of the AVB team. Welcome aboard and thanks so much for your review!