Cover image for AvalonBay Communities

Join the conversation on

Real Estate

1.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/real-estate-5/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=AvalonBay Communities~2616
Join the conversation on

Got a burning question about AvalonBay Communities? Just ask!

On Fishbowl, you can share insights and advice anonymously with AvalonBay Communities employees and get real answers from people on the inside.

What's Fishbowl
Ask a Question

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefit package(in 84 reviews)
  • "Manager(s) were great people and showed a willingness to help associates.(in 67 reviews)
  • "The company has a great culture and shows appreciation for its people and their effort.(in 51 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance(in 48 reviews)
  • "motivational, great training, lots of company events(in 32 reviews)
Cons
  • "The pay was low to start with and then the bonus structure made it even worse.(in 48 reviews)
  • "Prior to Avalon, I had a clear idea of my 'road map to success' and upper management was amazing.(in 20 reviews)
  • "Many managers don't have customer service skills and lack communication skills with employees as well.(in 20 reviews)
  • "No bonuses in the maintenance tech department(in 15 reviews)
  • "the salary is low and you work weekends(in 10 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AvalonBay Communities and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years
    Featured Review

Great Company to Work For

Feb 1, 2023 - Concierge in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have been working part time for AVB for 7 years. I have nothing but great things to say about them. From the CEO on down to the managers on site. Whenever I had a problem, they jumped on it and corrected it right away. They treat you fairly. Be a good employee and they will be good to you.

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that they do not have properties in the South or Midwest. They tend to be in very high COL states but that's okay. That is their business model.

Continue reading
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

AvalonBay 12 years and running!

Feb 1, 2023 - Sales and Service Supervisor in Avalon, Clayton, Optional[GA]
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Loving community of associates that care. Managers that are forward thinkers and career team builders.

Cons

I have no-cons. Only benefits and personal growth at my time here.

3. Join the AvalonBay Communities team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company

Jan 13, 2023 - Product Manager in Arlington, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Solid benefits - great culture

Cons

Steady work - but can be slower than other industries at times

Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experiences at AVB! We appreciate feedback and will use this to improve our associate's experience. It would be helpful to gain additional information regarding the pace of work, as we aim to ensure our associates are fulfilled in their work. Please contact avalonbayhumanresources@avalonbay.com if you are comfortable doing so.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Great Company to Build a Career With

Jan 12, 2023 - Senior Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very inclusive, collaborative, and providing ample opportunities for growth.

Cons

The company can sometimes be bureaucratic in nature but that comes with being such a large nationwide corporation. The key is to network internally and find your core allies to grow.

Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about what makes AvalonBay a great place to work. I hope you continue to enjoy your time here at AVB! If you do have additional feedback, please contact avalonbayhumanresources@avalonbay.com to share.

6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

no comment

Jan 10, 2023 - Sales and Service Supervisor in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Share some of the best reasons

Cons

Hours of operation. No flexibility to work from home.

Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for providing feedback, and for being a long-time associate at AVB! We understand that no company is perfect and we work hard to make sure that our associates are happy. If you would like to provide more feedback about your experience, you can reach out to your HR manager or contact myself at avalonbayhumanresources@avalonbay.com.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company

Jan 9, 2023 - Community Consultant in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company to work for, learned a lot from colleagues

Cons

not really, had very good experience

Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for your feedback! It is wonderful to hear you had a great experience at AVB. We wish you well in your next endeavor!

8. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good used to be Great

Jan 20, 2023 - Concierge in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Diversity. There is definitely someone there that will look like you.

Cons

Communication. It gets muddy somewhere between Corporate and the properties.

Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at AVB. Communication is a topic that our associates have repeatedly asked for improvement on, and we are absolutely taking action on those concerns. Not only have we began sending weekly newsletters of all the important need-to-knows, we are also bringing back AVBTalks beginning this week!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great Company

Dec 20, 2022 - Community Consultant in Union, NJ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great bonus structure and benefits. Great work environment

Cons

Minor things that are manageable to handle

2 people found this review helpful

Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for providing a review of your experience at AVB! If you would like to share anything additional, you can contact avalonbayhumanresources@avalonbay.com.

10. 4.0
    Former Employee

Potomac and Columbia

Dec 23, 2022 - Community Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Culture very open and accommodating

Cons

Be aware that employees get sick

Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for providing your feedback! It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed AVB's culture, as it is one of our most valued aspects.

11. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Maintenance

Jan 2, 2023 - Maintenance Tech 2 in Arlington, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Maintenance team was nice Flexible schedule Tuition reimbursement

Cons

No parts to do the job On call was stressful Leaks everywhere

Human Resources Coordinator

Thank you for providing perspective on your experience with AVB. We are happy to hear you utilized our benefit of tuition reimbursement! Additionally, it would be helpful to learn more about your experience as a Maintenance Tech II, and the resources you may not have had access to (parts). Please contact avalonbayhumanresources@avalonbay.com to discuss further.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 906 Reviews
</>Embed

AvalonBay Communities Reviews FAQs

AvalonBay Communities has an overall rating of 3.8 out of 5, based on over 957 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at AvalonBay Communities to a friend and 69% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AvalonBay Communities employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AvalonBay Communities. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

75% of AvalonBay Communities employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AvalonBay Communities 3.6 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at AvalonBay Communities to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management, compensation.

Popular Careers with AvalonBay Communities Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at AvalonBay Communities? Share Your Experiences

AvalonBay Communities logo

AvalonBay Communities Careers

Cover image for AvalonBay Communities

At AvalonBay, opportunity awaits you. With 3,000 associates working in our more than 275 apartment communities and regional offices in the...More

• Culture
  • Responsibility
  • Benefits

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

223 days ago

Careers
AvalonBay Communities is hiring! Join us on Wednesday, July 13, 2022 between 12:00 PM and 5:30 PM Pacific Time at our AVA Esterra Park community in Redmond, Washington or our Avalon Belltown Towers community in Seattle, Washington for AvalonBay's Pacific Northwest Leasing Hiring Day. Seize this opportunity to launch your career with AvalonBay! Candidates interested in joining AvalonBay will have the opportunity to interview with a few members of our on-site management team. Locations: AVA Esterra Park | 15301 NE Turing St, Redmond, WA 98052 Avalon Belltown Towers | 210 Wall St., Seattle, WA 98121 This event is open to all! Please complete the application for the event on the following link and our team will reach out with more information: https://bit.ly/3bHQujs
Shared image - Career Areas and Career Paths | Careers at AvalonBay
Career Areas and Career Paths | Careers at AvalonBay
bit.ly

246 days ago

Company News
We are hiring! Join us on Thursday, June 16, 2022 between 12:00 PM and 5:30 PM Pacific Time at our AVA Esterra Park community in Redmond, Washington for AvalonBay's Pacific Northwest Maintenance Hiring Day. Seize this opportunity to launch your career with AvalonBay! Candidates interested in joining AvalonBay will have the opportunity to interview with a few members of our on-site management team. Location: AVA Esterra Park | 15301 NE Turing St, Redmond, WA 98052 This event is open to all! Please complete the application for the event on the following link and our team will reach out with more information: https://bit.ly/PNW_MXhiring
Shared image - Career Areas and Career Paths | Careers at AvalonBay
Career Areas and Career Paths | Careers at AvalonBay
bit.ly

AvalonBay Communities Photos

+ Add Photo
AvalonBay Communities photo of: Our customer interactions are always personal, but they're also supported by technology.
AvalonBay Communities photo of: AVA High Line
AvalonBay Communities photo of: Across all departments of AvalonBay, we make sure to take time for fun.
AvalonBay Communities photo of: Avalon Bowery Place
AvalonBay Communities photo of: At AvalonBay, we build in some of the biggest cities in America, and we get the best views too.
AvalonBay Communities photo of: AVA Burbank

AvalonBay Communities Job Seekers Also Viewed

UDR Logo
UDR

Compare

Glassdoor has 957 AvalonBay Communities reviews submitted anonymously by AvalonBay Communities employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if AvalonBay Communities is right for you.