Avamere Family of Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Morgan

Pros
  • The residents are wonderful and the co workers really work well together (in 3 reviews)

• Decent pay, family like atmosphere (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No training, limited and outdated policies and procedures (in 6 reviews)

• Sometimes short-staffed,with quick changes in census counts (in 6 reviews)

1. "CNA"

I have been working at Avamere Family of Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get in
    Supervisors are not too strict

Cons

Lack of supplies
    Perpetually flooded staff room

2. "O.K. but needs improvements"

Former Employee - Part-time Receptionist in Bend, OR
    Former Employee - Part-time Receptionist in Bend, OR

I worked at Avamere Family of Companies (More than a year)

Pros

Nice surroundings - building and grounds are pretty.
    Staff is nice and try hard to do a good job.

Cons

Understaffed though do meet State mandates for #'s of nurses & aides per census but State should then increase number of staff required because still not enough staff to attend to patients properly, i.e., call lights not getting answered in a reasonable time causing pts and families to be upset. Mngmt seems to be most concerned about keeping the beds filled rather than quality of care.

Advice to Management

Have patients/families fill-out a questionaire on discharge revealing what complaints they have and then try to rectify the areas of problems.

"Do not work here"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Avamere Family of Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most patients are great, the nursing staff is wonderful and competent. I enjoyed the work here

Cons

One of the main reasons I left was because the facility processes did not allow for me to provide safe and effective care for patients. Paperwork is up to the neck and outdated. Consistently ran out of important supplies and house stock medications which put many patient's safety at risk. Patients can pick up on how stressed the nursing staff is. The administrators know nothing about nursing care and continue to pile on new tasks and work rather than trim down unnecessary work. If you ask for help from the administrators they brush it away. Training was not comprehensive. Health and dental insurance is expensive. No wonder these facilities cannot retain their employees for long because it is not a happy place to work at, no one thoroughly enjoys being here. One patient's family member had a fall in the parking lot during winter because the company is too cheap to afford snow plows and salt. All the administrators care about is money and not a single care is given to patients or staff. It's always a race to get patients in and out and keep the facility full as much as possible, overworking nursing staff and decreasing the quality of care given to patients.

Advice to Management

Listen to your nursing staff, treat them for what they're worth. Your company is a far outcry from what I call professional.

"Coordinator"

I have been working at Avamere Family of Companies full-time

Pros

Flexible at times with accommodating work/life issues.

Cons

Unfair management. Difficulty to get corporate to come through on promises made.

Advice to Management

Follow through and truly be honest and caring to your employees. Live up to your motto "We appreciate you"

6. "Unprofessional"

I worked at Avamere Family of Companies full-time

Pros

It's rewarding to work with the geriatric population. As for pros specific to Avamere, I honestly cannot think of any.

Cons

Overworked. Can't clock out for lunch breaks without residents not getting cared for/receiving meds on time.
    Unprofessional staff and coworkers.
    Terrible pay.
    Unhealthy work environment.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the caregivers and med techs!

7. "Poor Director"

Former Employee - MEd Aide in Sherwood, OR
    Former Employee - MEd Aide in Sherwood, OR

I worked at Avamere Family of Companies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the residents! Loved my colleagues! They train unskilled workers to be good skilled workers in senior living. The med aides are top notch and work very hard!

Cons

Other assisted living communities have 1 med aide to 22-37 residents. The director thimks that 1 med aide can give quality care to 70 residents with no other support. Directors are hired for who they know, not for what they know.

Advice to Management

Staff appropriately. Hire directors that know how to direct and grow the company, not because they are someone's friend from high school.

"Nurse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tacoma, WA

Pros

Co-workers were amazing, good opportunities and experience.

Cons

Corporate treats their employees horribly. I've seen many people that were amazing employees (from management to floor staff) be screwed over. They started to become cheap and didn't have competive pay anymore.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to get rid of the bad management and not keep them just because they're in their click, they need to appreciate and not treat employees like their expendable.

"Worst management I've encountered in 30 years!"

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

Pros

There really aren't any pros other than the Co workers I have had through my 30 year career at kindred Healthcare that was taken over by avamere 2 years ago.

Cons

Since new management moved in I've seen many great employees being pushed out into early retirement or forced to quit when work conditions become unbearabe and uncomfortable

Advice to Management

Hire better management. The employee turn over rate is unbelievable because of bad management with terrible leadership skills running the show. I should know I've been apart of avamaete for 2 years and before that 28 years with the previous owner kindred healthcare. I've seen more people leave in the last 2 years than the 28 before.

10. "NOT RECOMMENDED."

Former Employee - Caregiver in Seaside, OR
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Seaside, OR

I worked at Avamere Family of Companies full-time

Pros

At first, delightful. At first, you can trust management. Nice furniture and warm feel in the beginning.

Cons

Poor management. Turnover of staff extremely high. Not law abiding by OSBN standards.. Poor treatment of employees, poor communication all around. Secretive and many clicks.
    Will hire just about anyone.

Advice to Management

Start over and stand by your core values. Value the good ones and dismiss the poor ones merely there for a paycheck.

"RN"

Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Sequim, WA
    Former Employee - RN, Bsn in Sequim, WA

I worked at Avamere Family of Companies (Less than a year)

Pros

There's no pros with this company.

Cons

They treat staff terrible. No respect towards staff. It's all about their bottom line. Nursing practice is far below practice standards. No fluid chain of command. No training. Orientation is minimal. An awful place to work.

Advice to Management

Hire professional staff rather than henchmen. Get a professional clue.