Avanade Reviews in Houston, TX | Glassdoor

3.2
Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company promotes work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great people on the planet to make things excellent inside clients (in 67 reviews)

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Travel
    - Great Compensations and benefits
    - Required training and Microsoft Certifications

Cons

- Travel. This is always a pro/con due to being away from home 80% of the time
    - Work/life balance will depend on the client you are working with

Advice to Management

Put more emphasis on the employees and the work-life balance.

"Anything for the client at the expense of the employees"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary, good people, emphasis on continued learning. Great technology.

Cons

There is no work life balance. I was on a project where I was working 14+ hours a day, 7 days a week, for a month. I got a "day off" when I got sick. My supervisor had me tell her when I was going to church so she knew not to expect me online (I worked from home). The bottom line is all that matters. Work was outsourced to India for the sake of cost. When quality suffered, the US team had to make up for it. I had daily anxiety attacks. HR and management knew that my health was at risk and they did nothing until my physician intervened and put me on medical leave.

Getting laid off was the best thing for me.

"Great processes and templates"

Former Employee - Business Analyst Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing opportunity. Good salary. Really smart employees who really helped out when needed. Great training. Newest technologies.

Cons

Low number of women (although great programs to change that). Long hours. Being laid off after working so hard.

Advice to Management

Change the review process and get rid of employee stacking.

4. "A very good technology company"

Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Houston, TX

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Highly skilled talent, Everyone knows everyone and it's easy work amongst when u know everyone. Good training provided and talent mentored.

Cons

Niche industry without Microsoft Ecosystem. Working indirect under its parent companies is good n bad. In some cases u compete with your parent. Gets call engineering by when u get into Senior roles

"Consultant"

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent Benefits, Supportive Team Members (sometimes); Diverse Work Projects.

Cons

Harassment is repaid with retaliation. No direct path for whistleblowers to report wrong doing in the company. Secret layoffs.

Advice to Management

Dig deeper into complaints to find out the real reason people are upset. Do not take the word of managers that the person is disgruntled.

"Be Ready to Travel"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel Perks
    Exposure to New Projects
    Exposure to New Clients

Cons

Compensation is Below Market
    Benefits are Below Market
    Required to be Self-Motivated and Career-Driven

Advice to Management

First, recruits need to be made very aware that their career progression is entirely their own responsibility. Any upward movement requires them to first make it known to upper management.

Second, Avanade needs to eliminate the local consultant division since everyone's performance is based on billable hours. Even local consultants are strongly encouraged to look for traveling positions when none are available locally. In addition, local positions have a very large radius where even a local consultant may need to travel over 30 miles one-way to reach their client. It is just deceiving to hire a "local" consultant only to encourage them to travel.

Third, total compensation is poor compared to market values. For experienced hires, the compensation is not attractive. Two weeks of vacation is available at almost every other company. The corporate benefits also require a sizeable out-of-pocket expense.

Fourth, new hires need to be mentored. I came across several who were eager to learn but didn't know where to start. Those new hires are quickly dismissed from projects because they aren't given the right tools to succeed.

Fifth, make travel time part of the billable hours unless you live 15 miles or less from the client office. Delayed flights are not the fault of the consultant. I wake up at 3:30 AM to make the earliest possible flight. If it is delayed for any reason, it is absolutely a nightmare to make those hours up.

Sixth, car miles should be reimbursed for anything over 15 miles or something reasonable. Avanade has a habit of hiring travelling consultants who are 30+ miles away from the nearest office only to have the expense policy not reimburse any mileage that is less than or equal to the distance from their home to the nearest Avanade office. Seriously, who chooses to work for a company where you are forced to drive 30 miles one way?

The biggest benefit of working at Avanade are the traveling perks. You gain points with hotels and airlines quickly. Almost all of your traveling expenses are easily and quickly reimbursed.

I liked the exposure to different projects allowing you to work with different technologies. I also liked working with the experienced hires as they are generally very knowledgeable.

There are always the typical company politics which deal with mainly profitability. This, unfortunately, comes from the top down. The way that the projects are priced, staffed, and executed need to be re-evaluated, so that the consultants aren't put under so much pressure. Projects are staffed with resources that maximized the profit margin. Resources who aren't qualified are told that it is a growth opportunity. This ultimately puts the project in jeopardy and damaged client relationships.

Being billable trumps anything else when it comes to yearly performance. Consultants sacrifice training to reach their yearly billable target. Cheating on certification exams becomes attractive since consultants generally don't have the time to study properly due to impacting their billable hours.

"The Orange Kool-Aid is tainted."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Worked with some great people. Plenty of training.

Cons

Bench warning games, and lingering layoff waves. Regional cliques will have many on the outside looking in. Racism.

Advice to Management

Fix the South Central region there's some folks in key roles that should be removed. There is a core issue in senior management, which leads to mistrust among the troops.

8. "Horrible company to work for"

Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Contractor - Systems Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at Avanade as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They will give you a job and the introduction is very good

Cons

The company will just use you up and then let you go without notice plus they underpay people for their work

Advice to Management

Quit your jobs and allow real Silicon Valley experts come in from San Jose and show you how to do it.

9. "Great company to start with"

Former Employee - Consultant, SD, CRM in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant, SD, CRM in Houston, TX

I worked at Avanade (More than a year)

Pros

Avanade is a fantastic place to start your career, The training and assistance from other experienced developers/implementers is a great base for any person. Also, the people you work with are second to none in the industry.

Cons

Pay is under where it should be, you can be overworked if you aren't careful

Advice to Management

More competitive pay

10. "Has been a great place to work so far"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Avanade (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great training programs
    - Work life balance is good, but obviously project dependent.
    - Friendly and knowledgeable co-workers
    - Good health and 401k benifits
    - Mandatory certifications Sr Consultant and Below
    - Mandatory yearly training hours

Cons

- Sales needs to be more effective
    - Dependent on Accenture projects

Advice to Management

More direct projects

Showing 40 of 1,047 reviews