Avanade Reviews | Glassdoor

Adam Warby

1,260 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Those given too little have the opportunity to maintain work-life balance while those given heavy workloads rarely have free time outside the weekends" (in 135 reviews)

• "Excessive workload No work/life balance" (in 23 reviews)

1. "Great company, wonderful team"

I worked at Avanade full-time

Pros

No stock options, parking is an issue.

Cons

Wonderful culture, great opportunities for career improvement, remote work option, ergo desks, stand/sit.

"Good Place to work."

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive, fun and diverse culture. Everyone is willing to help. Leadership makes a decent effort to improve different aspects of the company. Good Training opportunities.

Cons

The performance management system is bad, outdated and annoying. You can easily get stuck on unimportant project wasting time, so make sure you're getting noticed. There are a lot of boring roles.

Advice to Management

Improve Pay, and performance management.

3. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome culture. Smart talented folks.

Cons

Travel and work life balance can take a toll. They've been more sensitive to this in recent years but sometimes there's simply no choice but to travel for your next gig.

Advice to Management

Management needs to find more ways to keep people local when travelling becomes challenging. They also need to find more ways to retain people through more competitive salaries and bonus.

4. "Disappointed to say the least"

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Training
    - Travel perks (miles or hotel points)

Cons

- Not a true meritocracy (skin color makes a BIG difference when it comes to promotion time/appraisals)
    - At the mercy of Accenture for most projects
    -Politically charged and caustic workplace environment
    - Lack of technical depth unlike claims to be msft experts More often than not, we goto Microsoft for help/SME support
    - Senior management only cares about margins and not the quality of business
    - Poor work-life balance (depending on project)

Advice to Management

-Stay true to values you claim than doing lip-service
    -Be transparent in how you operate
    -Treat employees with dignity and respect

"Avanade is still the best company I have ever worked for, I truly love it!"

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Avanade is an actual meritocracy--you advance in your career based on performance, not on who you know. You get to work with great people and cutting edge technology. Moreover, the culture is one of mutual teamwork and support rather than a take no prisoners petty territorialism.

Cons

The travel can wear you down and there is a lot of anxiety whenever you hit the bench and your hours are not billable to a client.

Advice to Management

Avanade is a large, established company, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing. But it seems like over the last few years, leadership has come to realize, in the midst of our expansion programs and ever increasing efforts towards uniformity / standardization, a little piece of us died: somewhere along the way of expanding our services, cultivating markets and maturing our core offerings, something vital has been lost. The inevitable and silent pull to, in some way, recapture Avanade’s original innovative / entrepreneurial spirit that was quenched by procedures, policies and re-organizations. Perchance the truth is, it may not be possible to recapture a cultural ethos of the agile startup, willing to reinvent itself and embrace risk as a way of practice. Avanade will never be that lean, risk-taking startup again, so why not consider novel strategies that respect what Avanade has become and, rather than attempting to work against the gravitational pull Accenture exerts on our every mover, what would it look like if we re-focused our energies on launching a new brand / firm within the firm: incubating and launching autonomous innovation labs / consulting groups / micro-studios that are staffed by our best people and launch them in our most competitive markets and grant them the necessary autonomy to re-imagine how we compete to win client engagements (sure, the margins may be tighter, but our current business model is at great risk anyways—after all, how many clients are left that need to migrate 25,000 users to Office 365?)

6. "Disappointed"

Current Employee - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Avanade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

--Good training for new hires
    --Mostly nice people

Cons

There is very little support, especially if you're not in a Tier 1 city with its own office (most of the offices are just Accenture offices). If you're staffed on a project not in line with your skills, management will tell you you're lucky you're not on the bench with no attempt to help you, even if the project is abusing you.
    Most projects are through Accenture, so it can feel like you're working with them since the teams are Accenture-heavy.
    Very little communication about expectations and high turnover.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to talent communities. When looking for projects they mean absolutely nothing, and people end up getting put on projects that are nowhere within their skill set.

7. "Specialist"

I worked at Avanade full-time

Pros

A very strong development program

Cons

No many cons, you like the company or not

8. "Director"

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

World class customers
    Highly refined processes
    Career path
    Lots of resources for self-growth

Cons

Make yourself known and build internal relationships outside your project contribution.
    India pure plays are forcing the company to be cost conscience and stretching great people a little too far.
    Be careful of the people you work with because they may be looking as you as their next career stepping stone.
    Be careful what skills you expose.
    Realize the company is regional based for P/L so you may be asked to work on things you don't necessarily care about for career growth to create revenue or asked to work outside region to get cost recovery for your time.

"A Facade of Culture"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good people (individually)

Cons

Way, way too corporate competitive. By that I mean, promotion is touted as the end-all-be-all, and forced extracurricular time is often seen as more valuable than an employee's work merit when it comes to promotion and "standing out." Avanade touts a very rich experience but it's all a facade trying to mask the fact that Avanade is in the business of making money, and that's it. There is no culture, there are just people trying to get ahead with out-of-date technologies and old business ways.

Advice to Management

Lose the fluff, it's downright insulting when you see through it.

"Outstanding"

Current Employee - Manager, CRM Development in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, CRM Development in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Avanade (Less than a year)

Pros

Great corporate culture that encourages learning and growth

Cons

Must be willing to travel fairly extensively.

Showing 1,260 of 1,309 reviews