Avanade Reviews | Glassdoor

Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

1,169 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work environment focused on work-life balance (in 55 reviews)

• Great people on the planet to make things excellent inside clients (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • Those given too little have the opportunity to maintain work-life balance while those given heavy workloads rarely have free time outside the weekends (in 133 reviews)

• Excessive workload No work/life balance (in 23 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company, almost completely true meritocracy"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Parker, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Parker, CO

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate community genuinely interested in your growth and development; multiple resources to help you in all aspects of your life; generous benefits across a range of services (healthcare, mobile phone, etc); corporate discounts at tons of vendors (cars, phones, gyms, etc).

Cons

Most positions require 50%+ of travel; for example, I fly 4 hours to the client site Sunday night or Monday morning, then return late Thursday.

Avanade Response

Feb 19, 2018 – COO North America

Thanks for sharing your experience! It is great to hear you've been able to take advantage of our unique benefits. I realize the consultant lifestyle can be hectic at times and always welcome input... More

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

Good work / life balance, strong investment in people, forward looking and innovative. Have great clients

Cons

The company and space are continuing to evolve - be ready to evolve with them

Advice to Management

Continue the hard push into Cloud and Digital

3. "Analyst, Advanced Analytics"

Current Employee - Advanced Analytics Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Advanced Analytics Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avanade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent, long training program.
    Eligiblility for overtime in low-level positions.
    Endless learning and growth.
    Employer-paid Microsoft certifications.
    Sponsored events like hack-a-thons and innovation summits.
    Opportunity for travel - and to earn miles and points that you get to keep.
    401k and health benefits are decent.
    Diversity of projects.
    Career advisers to act as your advocat and mentor.
    Division of regions and talent groups provide a small company feel for such a large organization.
    Plenty of resources so that you never feel “in the dark.”

Cons

Analysts are either given too little to do (or solely given “grunt work”) or they are given too much and are expected to work 50-60+ hours a week and perform consultant-level duties. There isn’t really an in-between.

Those given too little have the opportunity to maintain work-life balance while those given heavy workloads rarely have free time outside the weekends. However, the trade-off is those who have the opportunity to go above and beyond are much more likely to see promotions and raises.

All employees are required to obtain a certain number of microsoft certifications, which can be hard to find to time do to, especially when Microsoft isn’t used on the project. Busy analysts will find themselves focusing on the client during weekdays and Avanade requirements during weeknights and weekends. Thus, it can be very hard for analysts looking to move up to find any work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Expand certifications outside of Microsoft technologies to include all software, platforms, and solutions used on client sites. E.g. Tableau.

4. "Great People"

I worked at Avanade full-time

Pros

Avanade's had a great group of employees.

Cons

Lot's of changes makes work life stressful.

5. "Senior Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great team, good benefits, relaxed work environment.

Cons

Poor communication, poor consistency in management.

Advice to Management

Management tends to misunderstand the overall technical needs, despite the informed and educated recommendations of their employees. As such, many customers tend to leave Avanade because they're unhappy with the service. Despite management being in charge and focusing direction. In other instances, like in my last department, management was able to cowboy everything and instead of being focused, the cowboys got bucked form the horse and we lost business.

There never seemed to be a great deal of consistency from one group to another, sadly. Avanade is a great company and I'll miss working for them.

6. "Great culture, people and growth opportunity"

Current Employee - Senior Management in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

The people are great. The culture is very inclusive and the company is truly on the cutting edge so you are always learning about the latest and greatest in tech and business. Growth opportunities are abound as they really work to grow their workforce globally. If you want to truly work for a global company with far reach and that is expanding rapidly, this is the place for you. The lack of intimidation factor in the workplace is a huge bonus. People really are supportive and care from execs all the way down.

Cons

Nothing egregious to speak of. Work -life balance, at least at the beginning, can be an issue depending what role you are in

"Avanade Atlanta really needs to step it up"

I worked at Avanade full-time

Pros

-The people, I've formed life long relationships with my coworkers here
    -Some of the management (unfortunately you may or may not ever meet them)
    -The initial training program where they take new hires to Seattle

Cons

-A lot of the management does not care about you, only about what decisions will make them look better/benefit them
    -There is a false sense of "we care about you", but when you voice your concerns, you will be lead down a fake path until ultimately being told that your opinions don't matter
    -No transparency about anything going on outside of the client you are working on (I recommend having Monthly & Quarterly meetings for all employees in the region)
    -A lack of recognition
    -No transparency in promotions. A lot of favoritism and no after review with your manager about how you did in your performance review and why you got a raise/didn't get a raise, etc.
    -Having a holiday party or event for anything is like pulling teeth, no one in management will plan anything
    -Worked on a project where people slowly started quitting because that was the only way off the project. A lot of good employees were lost to this. I just thought of 7 off the top of my head. Not sure if management noticed the trend or cares why.
    -When I started salaries were low, I've heard that they've gotten a lot better, but they do not adjust the old employees to match the new ones.. Ex: If you started in 2016 with 55k, a new hire in 2017 got 62k, the 2016 hire will not get adjusted to the new rates. Eventually when the 2016 hire gets a raise, they'll be put at the 62k and the 2017 hire will be adjusted to 70k after their promo. (these numbers are 100% accurate, but close enough)

Advice to Management

Read through my cons, and talk to your employees that you still have. These are real concerns and it really made me sad to leave this company when I cared about so many of my coworkers. People aren't happy. And I'm not sure you guys care.

"Low Pay, Hard to find projects, no help, you're on your own"

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

expensing a lot of thing, miles, hotel, food, phone, airplane, hotels, etc

Cons

Hard to find projects, the staffing advisors don't help, extremely lazy and unresponsive. Career advisor is no help at all. You're pretty much on your own when it come to finding projects. A lot of people usually leave.

Advice to Management

Find more or better people to find your workers projects.

"The Avanade experience"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people
    Hands-on access to technology
    Opportunity to travel
    Good employee benefits

Cons

The leadership/management
    Egos
    Working in a silo
    Being considered a ‘number’ and not a person
    Little or no direct business; staff augmentation
    Working ‘with’ Accenture
    The manner in which Accenture employees treat Avanade “colleagues” as second-class citizens
    Stagnant company culture
    The office environment
    Poorly scoped projects
    More internal politics
    Even more internal politics

Advice to Management

Invest in the employees that actually do and deliver work.
    Consider competing for direct business.

"Review"

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

great experiences and clients

Cons

the pay is a lot lower than competition

Showing 1,169 of 1,210 reviews