Avanade Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • 2k, lower for lower positions) to be spent on tech gadgets or work-life balance (including vacations) (in 51 reviews)

• Great people on the planet to make things excellent inside clients (in 69 reviews)

Cons

"Avanade - Where employees come last"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent clients to work with. Provided excellent technology to do your job.

Cons

Only people based out of the regional offices can get ahead. Employees in other cities are on their own with little interaction from managers. Company hires too many technical resources then fires them when sales production is down. Company shifts financial failures to all employees by canceling social events and yearly bonuses without notice (found out I wasn't getting a bonus only because it was not on my paycheck when expected). They canceled holiday and summer events because the company is doing poorly. Total budget for both events was $5000.

For FY 2017 all employees got enrolled in the Jelly of the Month club (Movie Reference). Yearly reviews are based on the amount of money available for raises not actual performance. You could receive top reviews from all clients and managers, go above and beyond getting certifications and still get an achieves\meets review score because there is not enough money in the budget to give you the raise and bonus that comes with a higher score.

Advice to Management

Management should take the full responsibility for financial failures rather than making all employees, even those who excel, suffer.

"Treats people like they have no preferences for what they want to do"

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Avanade full-time

Pros

US Benefits are pretty good. There are legitimately good and interesting projects out there, and plenty more that at least don't suck. Most people I know who've been in one of these projects are fairly happy. Knowing that some people have that experience is the reason I'm giving two stars instead of one.

Cons

Management will try to force you to learn whatever technologies are in demand with the client, no flexibility to choose based on your interests. These are often outdated, not really programming, and overall bad for your career progression.

I didn't agree to regular travel (my company was bought out by Avanade and had low travel expectations) but am being forced into it anyway.

They claim that transparency on the projects they have available is nice since it lets you find projects you're interested in, but in practice it mainly allows them to put the blame on you if you don't find a project quickly enough. It feels even worse than actual job searching, since I feel like I have to choose between either applying for a travel position when I don't want to change cities or barely applying to anything and being told I'm not doing my fair share.

They have a "chargeability" target of 90% for most people that affects your year-end bonuses. Effectively, this means that they expect you to be on the bench no more than 5 weeks of the year. No problem for people with long-term projects, but difficult if you have shorter-term projects or get unexpectedly rolled off a project so you had no chance to look for something before your last one ended. I get the idea behind it, but it sucks to not be eligible for a bonus for things out of your control.

Attempts to move people out of projects they hate seem to be minimal, and they get told "at least you're not on the bench." I get it if there's only a couple months left, but if there's another year?

Advice to Management

Make an effort to prioritize staffing people who have been benched longer, and travel preferences.

Being benched long-term is very demoralizing. Don't staff someone on a project they aren't qualified for, but if the difference in candidates is small it'll help to go with one who's been benched for weeks over someone who's still on a project.

As for travel, maybe give employees the option to add cities and give them a preference rating (the assumption is that any cities that aren’t listed are below those that are). Someone that really doesn't care doesn't have to add any cities, while someone that would like to, say, work in cities where they have family can make that clear. And please have more than one setting - someone might have one or two locations they'd love to be in, and a handful they'd like to go to but aren't nearly as interested in. It'd be nice to distinguish that.

I'm sure even people who are very open to travel would appreciate having some more input over where they get sent (instead of the onus being 100% on them to apply for any/all positions in a place they're interested in and hoping they don't get proposed for a place they don't want to be in first). In this case, prioritize proposing people for projects in cities they've expressed interest in, or be clear with them if it's not possible. Again, if you have two similarly qualified people for one position, it can be a helpful tiebreaker. I'd be annoyed if I got passed over for a position in my hometown for someone who's similarly skilled and doesn't care to travel here.

Right now, it feels like you don't take things like this into account at all and (again) makes searching for new projects feel like a jungle with no consideration for people's individual situations. Most contracts aren't for a specific person, so you could at least talk to the client about the possibility of transitioning someone else into the role. No need if there's only two months left on the project, but if it's another year? I know people who are looking for other jobs specifically because their attempts to get moved to a different project have gone unanswered for months, with no communication on why.

Likewise for technologies, don't force everyone to learn the same things. At the very least, it'd be nice to have a list of three substantially different things. Instead, I've been told I need to get certified in a specific thing I have no interest in. I've seen some employees pigeonholed for these projects, and I don't want to lose the opportunity to work in something I actually enjoy in the future.

In short: treat your employees like people with their own thoughts, feelings, preferences. Give them some choice over what they learn and where they go. If you know it's not what they want, be sympathetic. Say "I'm sorry that we don't have anything for you in CityA, but we can't afford to pass up on this project in CityB and hope something comes up."

Dec 5, 2017 – Executive

This is Alim Somani, President of Infusion when it was acquired by Avanade in early 2017. Thank you for sharing your feedback. Over the past months I have experienced that acquisitions bring about a... More

"Eroding Revenue - Massive Layoffs - Misdirected Management"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong diversity program, Microsoft platform focus, strong training program

Cons

Behind on cloud, no personal accountability, poor executive leadership

Advice to Management

Stop knee-jerk reacting to ebbs and flows. Make a multi year strategy of investment. No one ever cost-cut their way out of a top line sales problem.

"Senior Consultant"

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Avanade has wonderful benefits. The health insurance is the best I've had in my career.

Cons

Avanade is nothing more than a body shop consulting shop. Additionally, if you like to write code, this is not the company for you. Avanade attempts to off-shore most coding tasks. Consultants become intermediaries for the off-shore teams.
    The company has no real culture either. When I started, I completed my training and was then left alone in the office for months. No one made any efforts to socialize. I often went out for lunch and had drinks with colleagues from my previous company.
    The worst part has been getting on projects. To get a decent assignment, you really need to know someone. Managers act as if they are doing you a favor to put on on their project too. And, they play favorites. More than once I nominated myself for projects only to find the position was never really open.

Advice to Management

I didn't look for a job at Avanade so I would always have to look for a job. Being sent on numerous client interviews is draining. It's also very cruel to force employees to work at odd-hours with off-shore teams. We all know that off-shoring lowers salaries. Most US workers accept that. But, it's a real kick in the stomach to be required to meet late in the evening or in the middle of the night for hours on end with these teams.
    Management

Oct 23, 2017 – COO North America

Thanks for your candid response. I'm interested in learning more about your employee experience with us. If you're open to a conversation, please contact me directly at jeyan.jeevaratnam@avanade.com... More

5. "It's a generic IT delivery job"

Current Employee - Data Analyst
    Current Employee - Data Analyst

I have been working at Avanade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, generally fine hours, broad exposure to different industries and technologies. Great if you want to become a CO. Plenty of certifications if that's your thing

Cons

They staff you wherever they have work so, if you're specialized, it's unlikely you'll do what they hire you for. Ignition training is basically hazing and not useful if you're not a backend developer. Lower pay compared to competitors. Huge push to get certifications of dubious value

Advice to Management

Don't misrepresent the job descriptions. Stop pushing inferior Microsoft products like PowerBI and Azure when the clients would be better off with something else like Tableau or AWS.

"So much greener on the other side of Avanade"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Resources but limited time/capacity to utilize them

Cons

Poor Leadership, Actions speak louder than words

Advice to Management

Avanade needs to move past Warby and the stale NA leadership - and all the fluff - to get back to the days where employees liked working towards a DNA that delivered client value, technical tenacity, and a put in a suite of leaders that weren't in it for their options and the strings of the mother ship (Accenture). Doesn't surprise me that the positive energy that has been created with the new Microsoft hasn't carried over to Avanade. I see Avanade losing market share to other SIs. Give the employees driving positive value and change, the opportunity to build Avanade 3.0.

Sep 20, 2017 – COO North America

As a former leader with us, I'd like to hear more about your experience. Please reach out to me to discuss, jeyan.jeevaratnam@avanade.com

"Unhappy"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Extended Benefits include $2000 annually to spend on the technology of your choice (with exceptions)... some really smart people to collaborate with... generous training opportunites & will pay for certifications

Cons

very few women in technical roles (less than 5%), and minimal opportunities for the few that are... pay is well below market... poor to mediocre leadership... they reward and advance engineers who shmooze and brag but don't actually do much... hard work and innovative thinking are NOT rewarded...

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who is doing the work that makes up your deliverable. The engineer that talks about how smart he is... usually isn't. Transparency goes a long way with employees. And start paying for your talent... a high turnover does not speak well of your environment.

Sep 15, 2017 – COO North America

Thanks for your review. We remain committed to increasing the amount of women at Avanade across all roles and levels of the organization globally. I'd like the opportunity to discuss the feedback... More

8. "Going downhill fast"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Analyst

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was great several years ago before Accenture essentially took it over. The pros then were great culture, ability to work on remote projects from home (limited to no travel), good benefits, great project work, delivering great value to customers through development expertise and feeling like Avanade was its own company with separate values and culture. Not being Accenture was what made it great.

Cons

Below average pay and a slow downward spiral once the Accenture integration began. By the time I left, it seemed like everything was being developed offshore, quality didn't matter anymore and everything was about profit. You basically were forced into travelling full time or you wouldn't get on a project and risked sitting on the bench too long and getting laid off.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be a body shop (aka Accenture) and focus on delivering true value to customers instead of crappy software that's developed overseas and driven primarily by profit. Thin the management ranks, hire better developers and pay them more.

Sep 6, 2017 – Global Digital & Diversity Recruiting

Avanade was established as a joint venture between industry giants, Microsoft and Accenture; both of whom we continue to partner heavily with as we realize our vision to be the leading digital... More

"You don't want to know how the sausage is made"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avanade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Decent benefits and healthcare
    - Good people
    - Okay culture, but not great

Cons

- Make no mistake, this is a sales organization. Promotion paths after a certain level are all about sales. Being a good engineer isn't really a career path and in many ways it's a dead end position.
    - Lack of truly competent people, almost every project I was on was a disorganized mess with people who had no idea what they were doing and were improperly trained and educated. A huge emphasis on training but it was very low quality. Just checking boxes for clients. In my opinion, most of the consultant roles are filled with industry rejects who would love (but cannot) get a job at any decent tech company. No one has a formal degree or education. This is an offshoring company/staff augmentation firm, not really true consulting.
    - The global delivery network is usually incompetent. Overseas devs will chop anything useful you write to pieces in order to accomplish nebulous client goals. India was the worst offender, sadly confirming stereotypes. Never trust them with anything important. You will spend lots of time cleaning up spaghetti nonsense. Hilariously enough this work ends up in modern infrastructure projects and important areas like oil and gas. They throw lots of bodies at the problem but are 10 years behind modern development practices. Some individuals are very good, but they are diamonds in the rough.
    - Low salary for the area, 20-40% lower than anywhere else for similar work/stress levels. You're not paid by the hour, but salaried. In theory this sounds good but it amounts to working for $20/hour usually as work life balance is poor.
    - Basically Accenture owned and operated, almost all business comes from them and they call the shots in most cases. Accenture projects are also the worst in terms of work life balance. They run the show and Avanade is just along for the ride.
    - Slow and sometimes impossible promotion path, not a place for motivated individuals.
    - Extremely process driven to a fault. Independent thoughts and actions are discouraged. You follow the playbook, no questions asked.

Advice to Management

Start making your own decisions instead of bowing down to Accenture. Pay better salaries to attract real talent. Start employing people who actually know what they are doing instead of spitting out crap and hoping the client doesn't notice. But I guess the business model is to overcharge the client for shoddy work, so maybe you're actually doing the correct (horrific ) business thing to do?

Jul 25, 2017 – President, North America

From our start 17+ years ago, through today, two key principles continue to drive our business; delivering with excellence for our clients and attracting and retaining top talent. I’m sorry to hear... More

"Struggling with vision and growth"

I worked at Avanade full-time

Pros

Highly capable and motivated people. Strong support from Accenture. Good connections to Microsoft. Good culture, just not supported well by current management team. If you get on the right project, can be a great learning and development experience.

Cons

Current management team has limited vision and is struggling with maintaining growth. Leadership has become heavy handed and does not support risk taking. They require Microsoft or Accenture to innovate for them. Geographically focused so project and management experience can vary significantly by our home office location.

Showing 134 of 1,123 reviews