Avanade Reviews | Glassdoor

Avanade CEO Adam Warby
Adam Warby

1,031 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company promotes work-life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Great people on the planet to make things excellent inside clients (in 68 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Wonderful working environment | Challenging assignments always"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Avanade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Avanade offers one of the best working environments in the Industry worldwide. Employees are allowed to work from home or anywhere else to manage their working hours to suit their comfort (min 8 hours in a day).
    All projects are quite challenging and a new learning opportunity.
    Indefinite amount of resources to and connections with Accenture and Microsoft also within Avanade worldwide. Free to join any ongoing training from Microsoft or Avanade / Accenture
    Promotes latest technologies and focuses on upcoming trends, invests in research and POC's for new technologies.
    Practices SCRUM.

Cons

Employees are given tough goals to keep up-to date with the emerging new technologies and market trends. It often involves 3-4 certifications in an year.

Advice to Management

Open Discussions about new research areas and more innovation centres across locations.

Avanade Response

Jun 14, 2017 – COO, Growth Markets

We love that you've been able to take advantage of the learning opportunities we provide our consultants! Thanks for your feedback.

"Great company for those that want to learn, advance and deliver great solutions"

Current Employee - Business Analyst
    Current Employee - Business Analyst

Pros

Must admit the company is on the leading edge of technology. Company has a strong knowledge workforce, everyone treated as equal.

Cons

MSFT heavy in terms of solutions, but improving in terms of being open minded!

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Avanade - A great place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

Avanade provides an amazing environment to expand both your technical and professional skills. You are never pigeon-holed to one technology, but instead you are constantly exposed to different environments, products, and challenges, allowing you to constantly improve.

Avanade also does not limit you to what management may believe your limits are. You are constantly encouraged (and allowed) to grow your skills. You can be as customer-facing as you wish, attending meetings and interfacing with the customer one-on-one, or you can limit yourself to the technology side of things. It truly is one hundred percent under your control.

If you do not reach your goals within the ranks of Avanade, it truly is your fault. Hard work and dedication pay off with this company.

Cons

Avanade does require almost constant travel and many projects do require long hours. This is a position which requires extreme dedication.

If you have a family, you may have trouble working for Avanade unless you happen to live in an area where Avanade has multiple projects. However, every area eventually dries up and you'll find yourself back out on the road.

Most projects with Avanade see you flying out Monday morning and returning home Thursday evening, but there are some customers who insist upon a Monday through Friday schedule. These projects cause a significant strain on your work / life balance.

Advice to Management

The main issue I had was a desire for a more concrete career advancement model and that is being addressed now.

4. "Great place to work! No, really!"

Current Employee - Technology Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Technology Assistant in Seattle, WA

Pros

It's a treat to work with so many brilliant minds and inidividual persnalities. I don't get a sense of everyone drinking the corporate "kool aid" (except the recruiters). The innovations in technology we get to use and see put into action with our numerous customers is another good reason to come to work. Also, everyone here understands that we are all only human afterall and cannot be treated like some machine that just pumps out the work 24/7. They really do promote a healthy work/life balance.

Cons

As a young-ish company, there have been some bad habits upper management and the execs have fallen into. In my department, our "leader" has never gone to bat for us and he has been this way long before I ever started (9 months ago). There has been a tendancy to let the finance department and the CFO pretty much run the company and if you are not in their favors then you are out of luck.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your people and take care of them. If you have happy people, the return is worth far more than the headache and cost associated with turn over. If you say you are going to do something - do it! If not, explain the reason why and do so in a timely manner rather than give your people the silent treatment as an avoidance mechanism.

5. "Great company with great people"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Great people to work with no complaints.

Cons

Time consuming projects that kills work life balance.

Advice to Management

N/A

6. "Love this company."

Current Employee - Recruiting in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiting in Seattle, WA

Pros

Hands-down the people. Opportunity to take ownership of your career. Access to smart people.

Cons

work-life balance; long hours; politics in corporate location

Advice to Management

Remember the little guys- the heart and soul of the practice. Be sensitive to their work-life balance just as you are those with families.

7. "So far a great experience"

Current Employee - Applications Developer II
    Current Employee - Applications Developer II

Pros

Great experience, really smart people. Training is paid for. Great initial training program for college grads. Great access to microsoft tools. Great communities for knowledge sharing and entertainment. Good medical plan. Gadget fund.

Cons

You can get put into a position early and not have a lot to say about what you are doing. Travel and staying in hotels can be tough. There may not be as much travel as initially told. You will need to learn a lot of things for yourself. Unclear on compensation. No stock options for lower level employees.

Advice to Management

I have heard you may be too political in giving out promotions and raises.-haven't experienced first hand

8. "Great company for a career"

Current Employee - Principal Solutions Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Principal Solutions Developer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Avanade provides the best of both worlds in terms of the typical big corporation/small company trade-offs. You get all the big corporation benefits from a multi-national corporation owned by Accenture and Microsoft. You also get the small company input and relationships from working within a regionally aligned company with typical a few hundred people per region. It's a great company to get plugged into early and make a career out of. They treat their employees better than anywhere I've ever worked in 12+ years in the IT industry spanning a half dozen or so employers.

Cons

You've got to be aware of the potential for travel and be willing to embrace that.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Continuing to expand the development centers to allow more people to work locally.

9. "Good place to work"

Former Employee - Principal Solutions Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Principal Solutions Developer in Chicago, IL

Pros

Technology focus is great, lots of exposure to great customers

Cons

Travel can be hard on the family

Advice to Management

Develop a clear career plan that allows people to stay at Avanade long term

10. "Great company of technologists with great opportunities for advancement."

Current Employee - Applications Developer
    Current Employee - Applications Developer

Pros

Since we are a consulting company we are given the opportunity to work on a wide variety of projects in a wide variety of companies. In many markets we still have a relatively small workforce which means that each and every contract can be a huge opportunity for the individual consultant, the region and the company.

We are a company of technologists. Our core workforce consists of software developers and software architects. That permeates the company's culture which is wonderful compared to some consulting companies which have downplayed the value of having a consulting force of expert technologists.

Cons

Depending on the maturity of the market in which you live, you may have to do a considerable amount of travel. This also holds true if your skill set isn't in demand in your city or region.

It can be difficult to get what some of consider the appropriate amount of recognition if you live outside of your regions primary city. This is not to say that the review process is critically flawed or anything but it sure seems to help those that live and work in the primary city. Perhaps they are just provided better opportunities due to working in a more mature market.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. I think that the level of communication and direction that the leadership teams provide is topnotch. We are in a very competitive environment and we are consistently growing our market-share and expanding our technical proficiencies and cost-effectiveness.

Showing 1,031 of 1,066 reviews