Cover image for AvantStay

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "No work life balance.(in 5 reviews)
  • "My manager never once contacted me other than to berate me and when I would look for assistance he never once wanted to help with situations.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of AvantStay and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

breath of fresh air

Sep 27, 2022 - Assistant Area Manager in Nashville, TN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I joined a few months ago from other rental/travel company and the difference in culture is honestly night and day. My last company treated employees okay but it was soo old school. Pay wasn't great, no one had a sense of urgency, it was impossible to get a raise, and there was a lot of nepotism. I honestly got really jaded on property management and thought I'd try a new industry when Avantstay reached out. Finally people who CARE about guests and actually doing a good job. It can get chaotic at times like hospitality jobs often do but for once I feel like I'm working with people who can keep up with me and actually work as a team. It feels good to be proud of the work we put out and to constantly get shout outs and recognition from the rest of the business

Cons

Not much so far. Some times it feels like a lot of people chime in on 1 project/issue, but I know they're just trying to be helpful, I just need to get used to the fact that people actually look out for one another here

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0

Downward Spiral

Sep 14, 2022 - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers and time off policy

Cons

Terrible leadership Directors and above. The company continues to lay people off with no acknowledgment. Nobody knows who's next and lives in fear for their jobs to the point where I've heard coworkers expressing their fear of going on calls with their managers in case they're next (on the chopping block). Meanwhile on all-hands calls the executive team continues to chant their delusions of how great they are, and how well the company is doing without knowing that most people now get on those calls without cameras on in comparison to when I started 2.5 years ago. Honestly if anyone is reading this that wants to a job here, run and don't look back. Employees are tired, unmotivated and so many people are resigning in addition to the layoffs. It's kinda nuts to think about how much has changed for the worse. When I started, for a good year I couldn't stop talking about AvantStay and how much I loved working here. Now I cringe when people ask about my job that I used to brag about because I absolutely do not feel that way anymore. Shouldn't I be telling HR about this? In a perfect world yeah, but you have all the answers you need when your HRBPs and HR employees are resigning. Even if I did tell them the Directors and VPs would probably laugh it off and not take the concerns seriously. It's always something, some excuse that their employee's opinions aren't valid.

6 people found this review helpful
  3. 1.0
    Former Employee

Run, don't walk, away from this company!

Sep 22, 2022 - Hospitality Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

What this company gets credit for doing well is the hard work of all the people on the front line maintaining these houses that none of us could dream of affording to stay in, even with the employee discounts.

Cons

Do not work at this company. In a meeting on 9/17, you told us that the layoffs were unrelated to performance, in violation of our written employment terms. You HAD NO BUSINESS LYING TO YOUR EMPLOYEES. It's an extraordinarily bad idea that undermines your standing with your remaining employees. I've been working here for almost a year, and I can't imagine anyone staying more than a year. Most people last about six months. In that time, you will see numerous rounds of layoffs of your peers by management, and will have to participate yourself. After all this, you will be looking for somewhere else to work. Just this month their C-suite get around to adding their first person of color. Suffice it to say that women and persons of color were the disproportionate majority of layoffs. And all the super sugary reviews you see on here? Management posting fake reviews. It's scary.

7 people found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

high highs and low lows

Sep 29, 2022 - Product Manager II in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

very well organized company, although going through reorgs as often as it needs to, perhaps in line with it's scaling and ambitious growth.

Cons

the way they lay people off leaves a bitter taste. After I've built relationship, disappearing from all the systems immediately after the conversation with HR, leaves an uncertainty for all those people. It makes it look like I've done something terribly wrong, and only the most courageous/ closest ones would reach out to ask "what happened".

2 people found this review helpful
  5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Almost good

Aug 30, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cool product, largely empowered to build something if you are in charge of a key area. Some decent travel benefits, although hard to actually redeem.

Cons

Management asleep at the wheel. Executive team is cliquey, out of touch with what teams are actually doing, and do not respond to feedback. During my tenure, there were some seriously toxic leaders in place - a lot of direct feedback was given but no action was taken. Serious lack of process, systems, tools and people management required for any company to succeed. Several outright legally questionable / shady practices happening here as well in regards to compensation, hiring and performance management. Agree with other reviewers that this company's would be best served by finding more experienced leaders to guide this company forward. I would urge any potential candidate to get feedback from current employees about the real deal culture before joining.

AvantStay Response

Really appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback on your experience at the company. Though your review doesn't note when you left Avantstay, change management has been a huge internal focus for us over the past couple quarters, which special focus on streamlining our processes and ensuring we have the right folks in the right positions (which includes everyone from the top down), We're proud of the huge strides we've made in the past several months and aren't shying away from working hard to continue to improve our operations. Anyone who's been a part of our team knows we're a roll up your sleeves culture, and we hope you'll continue to watch the space and witness the improvements and growth to come. Thank you so much for investing three years of your skills and hard work into the company--your current employer is lucky to have you!

6. 5.0

Great Growth Company

Sep 19, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Clear vision; good benefits and w/l balance for a startup environment; remote work for office workers is a plus! Very collaborative environment, and I genuinely enjoy all of the people I work with.

Cons

Growing pains of a high growth startup mindset; systems still being built out.

3 people found this review helpful

AvantStay Response

So glad to hear you're enjoying your time at Avantstay! Our incredible employees are definitely one of the best perks of working here, we're thrilled to know our high-bar for talent makes "coming into work" a positive experience for you. Appreciate you and all you do

7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

read the reviews

Oct 3, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

travel credits. friends and family discount

Cons

read the reviews. they are not lying. do your research before joining AvantStay. Seriously. they are not lying. this is not a great place to work. From lack of communication from my manager, to this weird blame (everyone out for themselves) culture, and leadership really being out of touch, this is not a great environment if you value your mental health. some core people left and it is really impacting the teams.

8. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Toxic Culture

Sep 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent pay for those that joined at the right time

Cons

AvantStay is toxic. Worked here for less then a year and it still managed to impact my mental health. Terrible leadership and culture starts at the top with an egotistical CEO who is disconnected from the business but still manages to rein terror on his teams. You get punished for speaking up or trying to do good work. Rewards are only for those that suck up to him and placate his ego. I didn't have many interactions with the Co-founder, but when the CEO let him speak, it at least seemed like he cared.

7 people found this review helpful
  9. 5.0

Hard work pays off

Sep 15, 2022 - Associate in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

There is A LOT of work to do here, meaning lots of opportunities! If you are determined and hard-working, you will be recognized. A lot of smart and kind people here to learn from as well

Cons

Inconsistent management between departments and lots of growing pains

2 people found this review helpful

AvantStay Response

Thank you for sharing your feedback! Glad to hear you think as highly as we do about the amazing talent we have at Avantstay

10. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Run Away

Sep 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I don't think there are any

Cons

This company is a sinking ship. If you value your career and your mental health, work elsewhere. The CEO is out of his mind. He doesn't let other people speak because he thinks he knows everything about the business. He continues to create a toxic culture that rewards laziness and incompetence. He is driving the business into the ground. Attend one of his weekly meetings. He screams over the rest of the leadership team and doesn't let anyone else get a word in. It's embarrassing. If I were the rest of his Leadership team, I would run not walk to another company.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 153 Reviews
</>Embed

AvantStay Reviews FAQs

AvantStay has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 174 reviews left anonymously by employees. 75% of employees would recommend working at AvantStay to a friend and 69% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -13% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AvantStay employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AvantStay. This rating has decreased by -6% over the last 12 months.

75% of AvantStay employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AvantStay 3.8 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.9 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at AvantStay to be senior leadership, benefits, career development and the cons to be management .

Popular Careers with AvantStay Job Seekers