Avaya Reviews in Denver, CO | Glassdoor

Avaya Denver Reviews

Updated January 25, 2017

Denver, CO Area

Pros
Cons
  • Less Pay hikes and high workload and less work-life balance to most if not all teams (in 42 reviews)

• senior management changes very frequently - That makes product roadmap unclear (in 66 reviews)

1. "Stressful"

Former Employee - Materials in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Materials in Thornton, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are hard working and knowledgeable and willing to help if they can

Cons

Long hours 16 to 18 hours days very common. Layoffs frequent and more work added to the already overloaded few that are left. If you make mistakes reviews will be low so you can be part of the next work force reduction

Advice to Management

Retire the old products. Simplify you processes. Take care of the people you have left that know how to get things done. Review the executive team.

"Servicability Engineer"

Former Employee - Servicability Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Servicability Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

very solid to work for I the old days of the Bell System today not so much.the Company as a whole is trying to make a profit to be put out on the stock market

Cons

The method they are going about making the profit is at the expense of the US Employee base

"My experience at Avaya - Worked in Software Engineering"

Former Employee - Rotation Senior Associate in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Rotation Senior Associate in Thornton, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Very helpful and friendly people there. I genuinely liked talking with my co-workers, and doing lunch events with them.
    -Taught me a lot of useful things and helped me grow. Sometimes it takes a professional job to learn important things from a career.
    -You can work from home if you want. That wasn't a big thing for me but I could see it being helpful for others.

Cons

-There is an email and meeting culture at Avaya. This is part of the nature of the company. While people complained about it I only found it somewhat taxing but be aware of this. Be aware that this is the descendant of the company (Bell Labs) that inspired Dilbert for Scott Adams, and some of the traces are still there.
    -Sometimes I found it hard to know what was expected of me. But at the same time I felt that a great effort was given to explain it to me, so I am unsure if this is a personal failing. I am wondering if others had problems with this.

Advice to Management

I really don't know any good advice to give. I felt that management was very patient with me and put forth good effort.

"view of Avaya from long time engineer in product development"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Thornton, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Thornton, CO

Pros

high salary, flexible with hours and ability to work remotely, experienced staff is highly intelligent and helpful with high integrity, frontline management extremely dedicated

Cons

benefits seem relatively costly with only partial coverage, literally zero days of vacation, stressful environment with continuous downsizing for 15 years, unable to entice and retain younger people

Advice to Management

Heavy use of off-shored and out-sourced talent that use Avaya as a stepping stone in career advancement and have no vested interest in long-term company success has dramatically reduced quality, resulting in huge loss of market share.

"Would Not recommend"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good Salary. Used to have flexibility , bit now are requiring employees to be onsite which in many cases does not make sense

Cons

Horrible bonuses. Upper management does not know what they are doing.

"Senior Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Denver, CO

I worked at Avaya full-time

Pros

Very good people in general, those that are left and innovative products. The ability to work remotely or from home is a plus.

Cons

No balance of work and home life. Lack of any real direction for products - upper management does not understand the company and the direction it is going does not make sense. No bonus to speak of. Features are constantly being cut as there is no budget and/or there are perpetual layoffs.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to the workers and not your salary or unrealistic goals.

"Okay company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

Pros

Company was really good a few years ago. Has good work from home options (depends on the group you are working for). Benefits are generally good, but change based on company's performance - Yes even the 401k match etc keep changing year after year....

Cons

Now a days its lacking new and innovative ideas. Too much legacy baggage that they can't get rid of. Salaries are lower than market average. Growth potential is not that good either. Lots of layoffs and projects being moved off shore.

Advice to Management

Get in tune with the market.

"Avaya needs C Level leadership change"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

I cannot in honesty put anything in Pros at this point in time.

Cons

CEO and many other high in leadership lead by fear based management. Stick always.
    That approach is with customers and employees as well, despite what they claim.
    Layoffs often.High debt. Poor bond rating.
    No real plan to pull out of serious decline.

Advice to Management

To owners and board. Change out the C Level. Probably too late...

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There used to be a lot of great reasons to work @ Avaya but now the only reason is because pay is good.

Cons

The leadership has no idea what they are doing. They want to outsource everything to low cost geography which means outside of the US.

Everyone wants to just check something off their list regardless of how well trained, documented or understood within the company which impacts customer service.

There are way to many Directors & VP's.

Our CEO and leaders have truly made this company a mess especially when they purchased Nortel. We are losing lots of revenue and large customers because the leaders are to focused on cutting cost instead of really looking at why we are losing the revenue and fixing it.

They need to realize a company this large cannot be outsourced to contractors and that is why we are losing so much and the future does not look very good for Avaya employees or customers.

Advice to Management

Stop outsourcing your employees, have some integrity and get rid of some directors as we don't need that many. Stop trying to run the business like they did @ Nortel because that obviously didn't work out for them as they went bankrupt.

"Lowly worker"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Just called all non-quota caring employees back into the office, regardless of distance. 401(k) is atrocious. Healthcare rates are skyrocketing. Constant turn in leadership, senior execs bring in their people and when they leave new people come in it's a merry-go-round. Some really good leaders have been forced out.

Advice to Management

Stop the constant changing, listen to the lower-level people who actually see what happens in the company. Listen to the employees who work 12+ hrs. a day from home and respect that instead of making them go back into an office.

Showing 202 of 1,913 reviews