Avectra Reviews | Glassdoor

Richard Davis

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Works for me"

I have been working at Avectra full-time

Pros

Great people, caring and committed to our customers.

Cons

Lots of changes, however can create opportunity.

Advice to Management

Always remember why we are in business, so serve an amazing sector - Nonprofits.

2. "Salary"

I have been working at Avectra full-time

Pros

High compared to essential duties

Cons

Can be higher to compete with market rates

3. "Changing Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at Avectra full-time

Pros

Great people who enjoy having a good time.

Cons

A lot of change there, including being bought out. I understand things are very different than when I was there.

Advice to Management

I don't know any of the current management.

4. "software engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Avectra (Less than a year)

Pros

Good environment when i worked there.

Cons

some unstability later on as i heard

5. "Great experience at the start"

I worked at Avectra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

During the initial time I worked there was a good culture. We were encouraged to ask the team for advice and share information.

Cons

There were not a lot of opportunities for advancement in the department I was based in. The situation didn't improve after the company was bought and more resources were spent on outsourcing

Advice to Management

The path of the company seems uncertain, and it is being felt at the lower levels. Hard to know where the company will be in a year.

6. "The Golden Days of Years past"

I worked at Avectra full-time

Pros

The people there were great, some of the best co-workers I've ever worked with. The salary was competitive. I loved the flexible hours they offered. On some occasions you can telecommute. The office space was nice and located in the heart of a major metropolitan city.

Cons

The management and direction of the company didn't put employees interests into consideration.

Advice to Management

My advice to management is to hire more employees to meet the demand of the customers.

7. "Great work environment, okay pay, stale product"

Former Employee - Developer II in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Developer II in Orlando, FL

I worked at Avectra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work place was reasonably lax, good benefits, generally a healthy work place. Generally a great place to work. Dedicated Research and Development time during working hours.

Cons

The biggest cons are wages are not very competitive for the Orlando area, but the benefits help narrow that gap. The second problem is legacy code is considered sacred by some of the leadership. This code is almost a decade old now and is struggling to handle modern expectations, however; attempts to introduce newer technology and concepts is met with near hostility.

Advice to Management

Introduce more competitive wages, you need to get netForum up to speed with modern technology and design concepts. Ever year your primary product looks more and more dated, while your more agile competition blows past you. It's only a matter of time for your competitors begin to chip away at your customer base if you don't step it up. (I realize this is a HUGE challenge, but it must be done to stay relevant)

8. "Terrible, awful, and horrible at employee retention"

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager in Orlando, FL

I worked at Avectra full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My team mates were awesome

Cons

Management - mostly middle management - is so terrible that all those really great team mates that were hired with you will almost certainly be gone before 6 months is up. I have never been so mistreated by a company since leaving hourly fast food restaurant jobs behind as a teenager. Avectra doesn't care even one shred of one ounce for their employees' lives, concerns, or happiness. They don't want to hear ideas, don't want to hear constructive input, don't want their employees to show any initiative whatsoever. Keep your head down and your mouth shut and you'll survive at Avectra. Otherwise, you'll be out the door one way or another in short order. Avectra is a bridge job between being laid off and finding a job with a company who cares about employees, nothing more. If you go into it expecting more, you will certainly be disappointed.

Advice to Management

You should be aware that your employee turnover rates are not because you can't find any good candidates as your middle managers keep telling you. It's because they have absolutely no clue how to fairly and professionally treat the candidates they hire that you have such high turnover at Avectra. Hire some middle management that actually cares about employees and has experience in dealing well with people instead of the too-young, rude and just plain clueless middle management you have now.

"Heart breaking!"

I worked at Avectra (More than 3 years)

Pros

The products and their capabilities (if used properly) are fantastic! The employees below management level were truly super-wonderful individuals! I could go on and on about how much opportunity I saw in a good product with a freely-sharing knowledgable staff to meet continuously increasing customer demands. Let me be clear, I loved working for this company.

Cons

The silos and the politics! I understand and have appreciation for both, however management (and their higher-ups), constantly kept each other in the dark. The hypocrisy is practically head-spinning and is a complete and total devastation of morale for employees.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what I say, it only matters what they'll hear... and these folks aren,t that good when it comes to listening to either their customers or their employees.

10. "Would not consider returning in any capacity"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Avectra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Colleagues were very professional. Product was mature and highly regarded by user community.

Cons

Pack mentality between departments interfered with overall success of organization.

Advice to Management

Nurture customers and staff. The industry that you support will be unforgiving unless you treat them with both care and respect.