Avenir Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
James R.H. Potter

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Stepping Stone to Learning the Publishing Business"

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Boutique firm, so there are not that many people; therefore, one gets to really know everyone. Makes for a great team environment and really fosters a "family" feel. The work is not "hard" but it is challenging. If one can deliver results there are nice bonuses and perks in addition to the commissions. Also -- which I think is huge nowadays -- the owners/management are more than willing to work with employees to help them to be successful. They understand that happy, productive employees are going to make the company to be more successful. For somebody just out of college who wants a solid place to start a career here in Chicago this can be vital.

Cons

Friday's gatherings could be a wee bit longer :) Maybe incorporate in a 10- 15 minute morning and 10-15 minute afternoon break?

Advice to Management

Perhaps create some new avenues/channels to generate sales revenue that can be used as upwardly mobile positions for employees to pursue?

2. "Former Marketing Associate"

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall a good experience- I learned a lot and was happy with what I was doing. I ended up leaving only when a college friend got me my dream job doing something completely different. On my last day I was given paperwork summarizing the past, current and future commission that I was owed which was paid to me in the next payroll. It all seemed straightforward and professional.

Cons

I don't understand how anyone posting on this company can claim to have been micromanaged- if anything, there is not enough managerial involvement. They are quick to show successful employees career progression, to the point of promoting people to leadership roles too early and before they are ready. Management is there if you need help, but to a certain extent people are left to their own devices to work as hard as their own individual work ethic allows them to. I'd never gotten the vibe of being micromanaged, but then again I am someone who actually works hard while on the clock.

Advice to Management

Positive and young office culture, but could be improved. For incentives, give people the option for money instead of company parties.

3. "IN MY EYES..."

Former Employee - Ad Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an advertising sales representative during 2014. From day one I realized that that the company as a whole was pretty laid back. Everyone was very welcoming, including the owners who were always clear about their open door policy. They were both very charming and down to earth which made it very easy to talk to them about anything, though I honestly never had much to complain about.

The sales team was led by the toughest VP I'd ever encountered... but he was also the nicest and couldn't have been a more fair person. And he was always professional whether it was on the phones, on the sales floor or even in his office.

As far the work, as with any job if you put in the effort you get the results! Coming from a sales background, I had a good understanding of the job. With time, I had an even better understanding and became a better salesperson. The sales team was very knowledgeable and helpful and it really was a team environment.

There were many perks that came with the job. The salary was fair and the sales commissions were good. In addition, they offer plenty of paid holidays and personal days, more than any company I've ever worked for. The target goals they set were fair and attainable and the rewards for surpassing those goals were awesome. Aside from that, there were incentives and breaks to break up the monotony of work life, like weekly 'Tea Time' where co-workers gathered and shared their favorite dishes, and in-office parties to celebrate the holidays.

Leaving the company was as easy as entering. I put in a fair two weeks notice before moving out of state, after which I did receive my last sales commission check in full. Even months after I'd been gone, I contacted the owners about my change of address and they made sure I received my W2 immediately after.

Overall, I had a good experience at Avenir Publishing.

Cons

I think training could have been a bit more structured.

Advice to Management

The only way to lose the stigma of negative rumors is to prove them wrong. Always treat everyone how you would want to be treated and that should solve everything.

4. "Very good place to work"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

After reading some of these negative reviews, I feel obligated to post something here and stick up for the company.

I was with Avenir for 3 years and had very much enjoyed my time with the company. I started in an entry level role and was rewarded for putting in hard work both monetarily as well as with career progression inside the company. I left a few months ago for personal reasons that had nothing to do with the job or the management. When I left, I was 25 years old, making good money and overseeing a team of 3 employees- which I felt was pretty good for my first job out of college.

This job taught me a lot and I was glad to have had the opportunity. I was always treated with respect by the owners and was paid 100% of my outstanding commissions after leaving. The starting base salary was a bit low, but the first raise I was given was after only 3 months of being there, which I thought was pretty awesome.

Cons

I noticed that their hiring processes could use some improvement. There is a sales element to the job, so employees need to know how to deal with the rejection. This can get people down who aren't used to being told "NO". Over my time there, I saw a lot of younger employees struggle with this- and frankly those people in my opinion shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

5. "difficult learning curve"

Former Employee - Ad Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back office environment, approachable management, opportunity to make good commissions for people who are willing to work hard.

Cons

If you have no experience, the basics can be somewhat difficult to pick up. It definitely takes some courage to make your first few sales calls.

Advice to Management

Implement a CRM.

6. "Great kickoff for a career in marketing and public relations"

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Avenir Publishing has a great work hard, play hard culture and as with most entry level jobs, you get out of it what you put into it. There's a lot of room to grow and make money, with hard work and putting in the extra effort properly rewarded. Being such a small company, you have the opportunity to really have a close relationship with upper management and learn from them. There are not many companies where you have the opportunity to learn from such experienced business owners in the publishing world right out of college.

Cons

There is a huge learning curve and people can get frustrated early but management is willing to help in any way possible in order for you to succeed.

Advice to Management

Provide more networking events across the industry

7. "Great job for the right personality"

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Personal Development: Avenir was my first "real job" out of university. As a marketing associate you are contacting and communicating with senior company executives daily; this really developed my confidence, assertiveness and ability to communicate with professionals at a very high level. These skills are invaluable.

$$$: There is an opportunity to make good money if you work hard (there is an initial 1-2 month learning curve).

Excellent Management: Jim was hands down the best manager I have ever had; always eager to provide praise for a job well done and constructive criticism in order to help you make more money. He's a valuable resource if you learn to utilize him as an adviser.

Set hours: You will never work any hours outside of 8-5.

Perks: Leave early for being on target with guidelines laid out by the company. Also for hitting sales targets, we used to get monthly outings ("Sundowners") to very high end restaurants and bars all paid by Avenir, which took place during the work day in which you would leave at 1pm. I would have never had these opportunities otherwise.

Management opportunities: I was offered the option to pursue a management opportunity after only 1.5 years of work. This typically wouldn't happen at a large company to an employee with entry level experience.

Cons

Salary structure is on the low-end especially in the first few months, but this changes if you able to develop a good pipeline.

They do have a policy to hold onto commissions when you quit until they are paid. This creates some lag time before you get your earned commission, but I received every penny.

Advice to Management

The group I worked with during my time at Avenir was amazing. So keep hiring quality people!

8. "good experience"

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

i worked here for just over a year and enjoyed my time with the company. the ad sales job is pretty easy- it's basically just closing deals. they have another department that generates the warm leads for the ad sales reps to close, so there is no prospecting, researching leads, etc.

leadership was great, training was comprehensive, and they have daily and weekly leave early targets which is pretty cool. if you stay on track on sales for the month, you can leave at 3pm almost every day

Cons

their policy on paying commission out after you leave is that they hold the money until they themselves are paid on the ads sold. it makes sense why they have the policy, it just makes it a little inconvenient. but i was paid in full everything i was owed

Advice to Management

introduce an outside sales function to the ad sales role and some travel opportunities

9. "Good experience"

Current Employee - Marketing Associate
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate

Pros

Was my first job out of college and taught me a lot about the business world. Great location, great people. They have company team building parties somewhat regularly- made some really good friends and some decent money.

Cons

No travel, small company, no office in the suburbs

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

"Awful management and extremely dishonest business structure"

Pros

Great location in downtown Chicago

Cons

Between the awful management and extremely dishonest and poor business structure I don’t think this company will exist in a few years. The employee turn over rate is unlike anything I’ve ever seen before which shows how poorly everyone is treated at the company. It is basically a call center but they give you the title of “marketing associate” and expect you to cold call companies all day. Your sole purpose to con companies into thinking they are getting a “free” published article but really it is a scam. There is nothing free about it and all they are looking to do is to solicit company’s vendors and suppliers for advertising dollars. They could care less about any company or project featured. The senior management and owners are extremely unprofessional, dishonest and manipulative. They will micromanage you and treat you like a child. They will be sure to not pay you any of your commission money after you leave the company- it all goes right in their pockets. Even if a company chooses to not be published anymore because they decide they don’t like the publication, the owner will decide to print the article anyway against the clients wishes just so he can still get the advertising dollars. During my time there, there was a sexual harassment issue that was never addressed by the owners of the company. They chose to ignore it. In the meantime close to 10 people left the company within weeks because the issue was never taken seriously and people were sick of feeling harassed at their own place of work.

Every positive review that is on here was written by the owner or a senior manager. I have never heard of any employee that has really enjoyed their time there. Every single person who currently works there is trying to get out.

I would never recommend this company to anyone. Don’t waste your time working for them or with them.