Avera McKennan Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Avera McKennan Hospital President David Kapaska
David Kapaska

1. "Hospital pharmacist remote order entry"

Current Employee - Clinical and Remote Order Entry Pharmacist in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and working conditions

Cons

None I can think of

2. "I feel a sense of pride in what I do, but..."

Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Sterile Processing Technician in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel a sense of pride in what I do and know that what I do does help. I like that I'm on my feet all day and up and moving.

Cons

I often feel underappreciated. With this job, there's a lot of risk involved as is with any sort of healthcare job which is why I feel that what I'm paid isn't worth the potential hazards or risks that we have to deal with on a day-to-day basis.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more and show your appreciation for them. Actually listen to their concerns and value their opinions. Get more organized and actually teach your staff so that way everyone on the team is on the same page and is knowledgeable so that way when a new person comes in and needs to be trained, everyone feels comfortable enough to help.

3. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is Christian based and really strives to live the mission. Even to a fault.

Cons

No birth control coverage, no paid Holidays you are expected to use PTO for them.

Advice to Management

Consider adopting a more current PTO policy. It's great to earn so much, but then you have to use it for Holidays. That doesn't seem appropriate.

5. "Histology Laboratory Technician"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technical Assistant in Brandon, SD
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technical Assistant in Brandon, SD

I worked at Avera McKennan Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, nice co-workers, fast-paced

Cons

Lack of training, low pay, no opportunities for advancement

6. "Don't sign your life away working for this place!!!"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Sioux Falls, SD

Pros

Some coworkers actually do believe in helping patients and respect peers. Very easy as a brand new nurse to be hired due to turn over rate and lack of retention of experienced nurses.

Cons

Was very shocked at the environment that is supposed to be rooted in the gospel. I am actually Native American and had to endure hearing many derogatory terms used to describe Native Americans from peer Nurse Staff. Attempted three times to correct this behavior with manager and even the CEO. The requested investigation went nowhere. VERY WEAK MANAGEMENT SYSTEM, large pay cut for nursing staff to make up for loss!!! Very “clicky” environment with preferential treatment to managers “friends.” Was called into office for reprimand for issues such as (not bowing my head during Morning Prayer, using the bathroom off break time, not answering my personal phone on my day off and other minor or personal things). Issues are blown way out of proportion if you question management. Entire hospital seems to run off of an atmosphere of entitlement granted to individuals by religious preference or religious beliefs.
    Hospital was fined very heavily for violation of employee breaks, it did not fix the situation. (You can actually look this up). Be prepared to work a 12+ hour shift with only a partial break or sometimes even no breaks in a 12 hr day. If you do get a break be prepared for substandard, expensive (doctors and cops eat free) cafeteria food (even by industrial standards). Also be willing to accept several phone calls on your break (if you get one).
     Also you will find a huge turnover rate on many of the floors with brand new nurses filling critical positions. Too many new nurses and not enough retention of experienced nurses. I have worked for this hospital for many years and I have seen many good nurses “walked out (fired)” from the place for minor challenges to management.
    In closing, the hospital is too involved in off work personal life. Was actually told in a group meeting once not to post anything on social media that the Sisters of Presentation would disapprove of. Also constant on slot of, “Why do you only have one child, why don’t you belong to a church, why didn’t you get married in a church…etc?” In the long I felt like I was more in a cult rather than working in a hospital. Hard to get away from hospital, managers will fill your days off with meetings, education and other stuff which may put you in a mandatory overtime status (YOU CAN NEVER GET AWAY). It is not uncommon for nurses to have 300 plus hours of vacation time saved (not because you wanted to…vacations are often denied and you may have to wait several weeks to find out if you get a vacation you put in for). Many former nurses will say they left because of “nurse burnout.” Injury rate is unacceptable (nurses are required to move patients, often with no assistance, night times are worse as no techs to help). Very little done about certain doctors bullying nurse!!!!! Why work here??? Well in MHO, with the high turnover rate, it is very easy to get hired.

Advice to Management

Listen to your nurses, take matters of racism, bullying by doctors and other personal issues seriously. Work to retain trained staff for safety of patients and efficiency of hospital.

"Nurse Manager"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse, Nurse Manager in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse, Nurse Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility who cares about patient care and their employees. They spend a lot of money on technology. Some to benefit patient care and some to benefit the employee satisfaction.

Cons

I did not think the benefits or salary were good compared (I came from another Midwestern state) to what I had I had at my two previous employers, one I was at for 8 years and the other 10 years. I took a $30,000+/yr cut in pay plus the cost of my benefits greatly increased. When I left Avera I went back to my home state and got a job making $65,000+/yr more and better benefits.

8. "Avera"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Avera McKennan Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

I appreciated the faith-based mission and values

Cons

Best attempts of faith-based mission in Corporate America

9. "Flexible"

Former Employee - Technician in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Technician in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are flexible and cares about the family. CEO will walk around and speak with all employees. Doesn't hide in the "Eiffel tower"

Cons

Typical managers. Does NOT listen to employees when they are there doing the work. They expect you to know your job and expect you to do things that can't be done and most managers couldn't do your job.

Advice to Management

Listen!!!!! Communication and NOT just want us to hear.

"Administrative Assistant"

Former Employee - Laboratory Receptionist in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Laboratory Receptionist in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Avera McKennan Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work at.

Cons

The turnover rate is pretty high.

11. "Great place to work."

Former Employee - CNA in Marshall, MN
    Former Employee - CNA in Marshall, MN

I worked at Avera McKennan Hospital part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, great people to work with, lots of jobs available. Pay is pretty decent. When buying things u use your badge and it comes straight out of your paycheck.

Cons

12hr shifts, short staff most time so you end up working longer shifts or more days. Staff hit employee burn out.

Advice to Management

Get enough staff.