Avera McKennan Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

David Kapaska

1. "Wonderful"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management who listen to your concerns, wonderful coworkers, cooperative new graduate pay

Cons

Not many dining options especially at night

2. "Physician"

Pros

Faith based organization impacts the culture.

Cons

Not always the most female friendly organization

3. "Excellent company values but employees are overworked."

Pros

Discounts to hospital fitness center.
    Reasonable insurance premiums.

Cons

Lean laboratory creates difficulty for obtaining continuing education and maintaining full staffing.
    Certain departments get preferential treatment.

Advice to Management

Management needs to address concerns of employees. Contributes to high turnover of laboratory employees.

5. "Hospital pharmacist remote order entry"

Current Employee - Clinical and Remote Order Entry Pharmacist in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and working conditions

Cons

None I can think of

6. "Love my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is Christian based and really strives to live the mission. Even to a fault.

Cons

No birth control coverage, no paid Holidays you are expected to use PTO for them.

Advice to Management

Consider adopting a more current PTO policy. It's great to earn so much, but then you have to use it for Holidays. That doesn't seem appropriate.

7. "Histology Laboratory Technician"

Former Employee - Laboratory Technical Assistant in Brandon, SD
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technical Assistant in Brandon, SD

I worked at Avera McKennan Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, nice co-workers, fast-paced

Cons

Lack of training, low pay, no opportunities for advancement

8. "Don't sign your life away working for this place!!!"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Sioux Falls, SD

Pros

Some coworkers actually do believe in helping patients and respect peers. Very easy as a brand new nurse to be hired due to turn over rate and lack of retention of experienced nurses.

Cons

Was very shocked at the environment that is supposed to be rooted in the gospel. I am actually Native American and had to endure hearing many derogatory terms used to describe Native Americans from peer Nurse Staff. Attempted three times to correct this behavior with manager and even the CEO. The requested investigation went nowhere. VERY WEAK MANAGEMENT SYSTEM, large pay cut for nursing staff to make up for loss!!! Very “clicky” environment with preferential treatment to managers “friends.” Was called into office for reprimand for issues such as (not bowing my head during Morning Prayer, using the bathroom off break time, not answering my personal phone on my day off and other minor or personal things). Issues are blown way out of proportion if you question management. Entire hospital seems to run off of an atmosphere of entitlement granted to individuals by religious preference or religious beliefs.
    Hospital was fined very heavily for violation of employee breaks, it did not fix the situation. (You can actually look this up). Be prepared to work a 12+ hour shift with only a partial break or sometimes even no breaks in a 12 hr day. If you do get a break be prepared for substandard, expensive (doctors and cops eat free) cafeteria food (even by industrial standards). Also be willing to accept several phone calls on your break (if you get one).
     Also you will find a huge turnover rate on many of the floors with brand new nurses filling critical positions. Too many new nurses and not enough retention of experienced nurses. I have worked for this hospital for many years and I have seen many good nurses “walked out (fired)” from the place for minor challenges to management.
    In closing, the hospital is too involved in off work personal life. Was actually told in a group meeting once not to post anything on social media that the Sisters of Presentation would disapprove of. Also constant on slot of, “Why do you only have one child, why don’t you belong to a church, why didn’t you get married in a church…etc?” In the long I felt like I was more in a cult rather than working in a hospital. Hard to get away from hospital, managers will fill your days off with meetings, education and other stuff which may put you in a mandatory overtime status (YOU CAN NEVER GET AWAY). It is not uncommon for nurses to have 300 plus hours of vacation time saved (not because you wanted to…vacations are often denied and you may have to wait several weeks to find out if you get a vacation you put in for). Many former nurses will say they left because of “nurse burnout.” Injury rate is unacceptable (nurses are required to move patients, often with no assistance, night times are worse as no techs to help). Very little done about certain doctors bullying nurse!!!!! Why work here??? Well in MHO, with the high turnover rate, it is very easy to get hired.

Advice to Management

Listen to your nurses, take matters of racism, bullying by doctors and other personal issues seriously. Work to retain trained staff for safety of patients and efficiency of hospital.

9. "RN"

Pros

Great work environment. Coworkers were awesome!

Cons

Working every other weekend is not fun.

"Nurse Manager"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse, Nurse Manager in Sioux Falls, SD
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse, Nurse Manager in Sioux Falls, SD

I worked at Avera McKennan Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice facility who cares about patient care and their employees. They spend a lot of money on technology. Some to benefit patient care and some to benefit the employee satisfaction.

Cons

I did not think the benefits or salary were good compared (I came from another Midwestern state) to what I had I had at my two previous employers, one I was at for 8 years and the other 10 years. I took a $30,000+/yr cut in pay plus the cost of my benefits greatly increased. When I left Avera I went back to my home state and got a job making $65,000+/yr more and better benefits.

11. "All the employees are loving and caring team."

Pros

It's close to home. Get full benefits, insurance. Happy employees.

Cons

Work long hours. And holidays. Will be OK with me.

Advice to Management

I'd be a great team member.