Averitt Express Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 18, 2019

3.7
Gary D. Sasser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Averitt has good benefits and plenty of job positions to upgrade to" (in 18 reviews)

• "I go home every weekend and with notice even sooner" (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Horrendous load planning (whether it is lack of people to do the job correctly or some have no comprehension of the HOS, I don't know) Low pay" (in 5 reviews)

• "full time opportunities though at other positions" (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great people"

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Cookeville, TN
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Cookeville, TN

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment and open door policy

Cons

None that come to mind

Mar 22, 2019 – Social Media Marketing Manager

Thanks so much for the five-star review! We truly appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback. Glad you're part of the Averitt team.

"Honest Review"

Current Employee - Regional Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Regional Truck Driver

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AVERITT is a great company provided that it fits with what you are looking for from trucking.

PROS. Good home time doing your 34 hour reset at home. The fleet managers and load planners do an outstanding job with this.

Good equipment including trailers. Trailers and tractors are regularly pulled out of rotation when they get old.

Good benefits. Currently AVERITT has BCBS with health incentives to lower your premiums, such as non smoker reduction and health screening reduction.

Plenty of service centers in the running area to do a 10 or drop your trailer to bobtail for a quick bite.

AVERITT is very driver responsive and actively seeks to find ways to build on strengths to keep drivers happy.

Management is very proactive starting with fleet managers but supported by an active driver support specialist division.

Cons

Now notice I didn’t list pay as a pro. AVERITT has a competitive CPM for a regional company, but you won’t be banging out a lot of miles here. If you are getting home every 34, you won’t have a lot of running. You can drive weekends, but since the company is regional the load planners aren’t as active to find loads for weekends. Average checks can range from $600 to $850 a week for regional truckload. Sometimes more sometimes less. To be fair, management tries to help offering LTL running incentives, minimum mileage for runs and layover/detention pay but weekly take home pay is what it is.

For truckload you will do your first six months to a year in an older tractor (5-6 years) until a newer one becomes available. Tractors get sold off around 650k miles. Freightliners and Volvos.

AVERITT has a strong supply division, dedicated division and LTL division, often seen as the ‘bread and butter’. Truckload is often treated like red headed step children and many drivers push to get out of truckload as soon as possible.

The service centers maintenance shops are hit and miss. Some are good some are horrible. You can however grab a hotel room for a long repair, don’t be surprised if your APU takes three separate trips to fix.

Riders are limited to spouses. No pets.

Advice to Management

AVERITT management is great. Keep listening to drivers. Find ways to play to the company strengths. Seek out drivers that look good in red.

3. "Reality check.."

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compared to other trucking companies I have worked for in the past, Averitt has their stuff together! And they don't outsource any dept like collections or billing unlike other companies (UPS and even Estes)
    But the one key thing about this company is in most areas and Dept they have great people working for them and work together like a team to reach the common goal.

Cons

The cons are just like every other company. You're going to have good and bad. The good obviously outweigh is the bad if you look at the tenure of most of the employees. I've never been with the company that has so many employees that have been there for well over 10 plus years. And the reality is it's not the right fit for a lot of people. And there are a couple of key people at corporate office that honestly should not hold positions that they currently in. But again if you walk into any corporate office of any other company you're going to find the same thing. Some people are just very good at sucking their way up to higher positions even though their qualifications don't match their title.

Advice to Management

Please do not change and structure yourself like other huge companies in regards to micromanaging. You have to remember if you hire the right people who care there's no need for micromanagement. Because the only thing that will happen is you will lose those good people. And before you consider promoting anybody to a higher title at corporate please make sure that they have walked in the shoes and held the positions that they are going to manage. Please don't ever promote someone who currently is doing basically an admin position into you a position of managing groups of people like your sales force. Working a job where you are good at offering administrative support to a sales force (like reports) is NOT the same as managing especially when SHE has only held office jobs. Quit allowing her to dictate on sales job requirements when she has never held a real sales position where she actually called on customers and managed a territory.

Feb 27, 2019 – Social Media Marketing Manager

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback. We appreciate your input and your long tenure at Averitt! We are always striving to improve the associate experience, so we will share... More

"Best company I've worked for"

Current Employee - Supply Chain Driver in Vance, AL
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Driver in Vance, AL

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great home time, especially local, decent competitive company pay, solid benefits, health insurance by bluecross is lower than most other companies, the other benefits are well priced such as dental, vision, accidental, life, cancer, critical illness by colonial Life, respectful human resources, office workers, made friends with many coworkerscoworkers. You can work lots of hours, paid hourly. They have an app for paystubs to check every week. Cookouts regularly at service centers. The CEO is down to earth friendly realistic, and humble. The main office staff were friendly.paid time off accumulates, you get vested in your profit sharing plan, they offer 401k with Wells Fargo. The trucks are relatively new, always do pretrip and they will fix any problems. After 6 months you can bid on any job in the company. I'm a hard worker so lots of hours is good with me. The values here are definitely honest in that the driving force is the people of the company.

Cons

Every job has its rude coworkers, but that's any job. Open door policy is useful for that. Yard trucks need better maintenance but they run well most of the time. Could use more.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Nov 26, 2018 – Social Media Marketing Manager

What a delight to read this eloquent review! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences at Averitt. We are so happy to have you with us and love knowing how much you enjoy... More

5. "Supply Chain Driver"

Pros

I am very happy here, Averitt isnt without its problems but over all beats all other Trucking companies ive worked for.

Cons

Occasional lack of communication from leadership

Advice to Management

Better communication, manage trailers better

Dec 19, 2018 – Social Media Marketing Manager

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave us a review. We appreciate your feedback!

"Transportation"

I worked at Averitt Express part-time

Pros

Flexibility work schedule, relocation possible.

Cons

Micromanagement, front line leader has anger issues and violent personality.

Advice to Management

Stop allowing one leader run off your employees.

Dec 5, 2018 – Social Media Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We regret that you had a negative experience as the satisfaction of our associates is important to us. We would be happy to discuss your... More

"City Driver"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good co
    Workers to work with

Cons

Long hours very long

"forklift operator"

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time

Pros

lots of hours and hard work

Cons

no overtime. bad shifts

Advice to Management

take better care of your employees

"Great Company to work for"

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time

Pros

Benefits, Company Culture, Strong Leadership, Good support from all departments

Cons

Men’s dress code is a little ridiculous
    Vacation time is not competitive with some companies

"Call center multimodal Cookville Tn"

Former Employee - Multimodal in Cookeville, TN
    Former Employee - Multimodal in Cookeville, TN

I worked at Averitt Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Seems to have a good benefits package

Cons

They would rather be short handed than spend a buck. Lots of unhappy people that feel stuck due to life situation. "Leaders" are shady and inept, definitely a lot of favoritism. Turnover would be higher, if people didn't feel trapped.

Advice to Management

The use of "leader" to label supervision, is an absolute joke. Leaders only look out for themselves and not their people. Call them supervisors or managers, some of these "leaders" have no idea how to lead, but can manage just fine.
    The professional image policy should be revisited, the folks in the call center, who never see the customer, should not have a more strict policy than the drivers, who are the true face of the company.