Averitt Express Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
Gary D. Sasser

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I go home every weekend and with notice even sooner (in 8 reviews)

• Great benefits det free company all new equipment really great place to work I will retire from this company (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • sitting waiting on loads, short haul loads making 0 (in 4 reviews)

• Drive all night rush,rush,wait all day to get next load (in 3 reviews)

1. "OTR"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at Averitt Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are very good

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to get in touch with Dispatch

2. "Great company to work for and grow in."

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Cookeville, TN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Cookeville, TN

I worked at Averitt Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent beginning pay & regular opportunities for raises
    A lot of opportunity for advancement
    Great training for several weeks before actually dealing with customer service issues

Cons

Beginning in the call center can be a challenge if you are not already accustomed to dealing with people, but the support system is excellent.

3. "Moving freight across the southeast and home most nights"

Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Former Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Averitt Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy servicing others and making sure that I can be depended upon in a timely manner. Also people clients and outsides sales are what we are base driven for in order to succeed

Cons

The consistency of the road work highways changes and accidents that causes delays and even GPS reroutes are becoming problems for drivers

Advice to Management

Recommended team and sales meetings to ensure driver problems are addressed and sales team and drivers in a sense are there to partner up and make sure one supports the other so the company can continue to grow and flourish together

"Co-workers good, managers very bad"

Current Employee - Driver in Smyrna, TN
    Current Employee - Driver in Smyrna, TN

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, cheap insurance, employee discounts

Cons

Last minutes forced overtime several times a week, poorly maintained equipment, incompetent advisors

Advice to Management

Put people in leadership that have actually driven and give a crap about the drivers under them.

5. "Driver supply chain"

I have been working at Averitt Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good money.good miles. New equipment

Cons

Have to stay out 3 plus weeks to get good miles

Advice to Management

Need to see things as a driver does..

"The Good, the Bad & the Ugly"

Former Employee - Regional Driver in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Regional Driver in Jackson, MS

I worked at Averitt Express full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are good
    Hire from within
    Home time is there
    My starting miles in the beginning where up to 2700 weekly
    Down time pay
    Detention pay
    Fleet Mgr. was professional with me
    There is always someone to talk to concerning a issue a driver has.
    Averitt is Professional and expect it's Drivers to be as well.
    This is a great company for beginning drivers to learn and when I say learn you will learn to back up into anything!

Averitt is a Great company to work for.

Cons

Benefits got to be home to use them.

Home time; never know which day unless you request in advance with your Fleet Mgr. which is 50/50 on the pro/con.

Miles when I started was great but went from 2400 down to 1500 and lower a week. This is what caused me to leave even after talking to retention whom got me 2900 miles that week but then dropped well below 1800 afterwards. Started bringing home $500, $400, $300, $450 weekly checks; not worth being gone for 5 to 6 days a week.

Detention pay; one time I had 12 hours @ $20hr of detention pay due to a shipper placing two additional pallets in my trailer that didn't belong. I would drive 24 miles to CAT get scaled come back; I did this 4 or 5 times until someone at the shipper decided to pull everything off and do a inventory of what was put on the trailer. I was only paid $100 but only after I threw a fit about running back and forth weighting the shippers mess-up all day for 14hrs. Word to the wise, if you go to work for Averitt and input you are loaded then there is no detention pay even after getting scaled at a CAT and having to do what I did.

Regional drivers are low priority, they make the least amount of all Averitt drivers even when you end up pulling LTL loads as a Regional Driver.

One of the things I should have paid attention to was orientation, when there was over 80 drivers there. Averitt has orientation every week from anywhere of 50 to 80 new drivers being hired every week. First Red Flag

Hiring from within; good luck with that.

Averitt's NEW minimum mileage pay: 400 mile minimum for short-haul loads picked up and delivered by driver is not what you might think; it only pays 400 miles if you pick up a live load under 400 miles and make the delivery yourself to the consignee; not picking up a load at one of the Service Centers then delivering it, which is what may drivers were having to do.
    Most of the loads are LTL loads which mean low miles, no 400 mile minimum; which is why I had to leave even at 0.42 CPM

Shop worked on my tractor four times and claimed to have fix the APU each time and I would always get a call about idling the truck all the time which I told them I was not roasting in the cab waiting on a load or while I was sleeping.
    One time I brought my tractor in to have the windshield resealed due to a leak and they had the whole tractor tore down, they never fixed the leak.

I didn't want to leave Averitt, I liked Averitt very much but my cons out weight my pros with Averitt.
    Hopefully your pros will out weight your cons if you go with Averitt.
    Everyone has totally different experiences in life and maybe yours will be totally different than mine were with Averitt.

Advice to Management

Averitt orientation will always have 50 to 80 new hires a week if you can not take care of the employees you currently have.
    Averitt enticing drivers with 2200 miles weekly and then lowering it to were Drivers can not make a living, then Averitt will waste money hiring new drivers.

Bottom line Averitt has what it takes; Averitt just has to find a way of maintaining morale and instilling into the current work group.

"They don't care about their employees"

Current Employee - Supply Chain
    Current Employee - Supply Chain

I have been working at Averitt Express (More than a year)

Pros

Was home mostly every weekend pavers on time most of the people that I met we're pretty friendly.

Cons

Working at Averitt Express was an okay experience in the beginning but I soon found out that later on they really don't care about their employees at all they preach at orientation how everybody's family and how they're going to look after you if you look after them but really they look at they look after you as long as you are able to do the job my truck to roll over in 2016 it is July 2017 two doctors later one doctor appointment that they set up for me and I still have not seen any workers comp benefits and have not received any treatment so if you ask me I will tell anybody if you're thinking about Trucking stay away from Averitt Express thank you. They tried to put the screws to me from the beginning they call me to check on me a few days afterwards but the more time went by they try to set me up by sending me an invalid panel of doctors so it makes me feel like they never meant to do right by me from the beginning all I wanted was to get treatment and get back to work but they have done everything possible to try to get over on me thank you I met the owner at orientation he seemed like a nice guy he made me feel as though he was being truthful to me my opinion of him hasn't changed a whole lot because I don't know how much of my situation he is aware of so I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he is a good guy by heart. Not trying to run down his business but some of the people that he has handling situations like compensation could use training because they have to realize these are people lives that you are dealing with thank you.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to be more mindful how you treat people because you never know what your circumstances might be from one moment to the next.

"Dock Worker"

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Franklin Park, IL
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Franklin Park, IL

I worked at Averitt Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Kept busy, clear cut rules

Cons

Need experienced managers to supervise dock employees.

Advice to Management

Don't let talented managers walk away

"City truck driver"

Current Employee - City Driver in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - City Driver in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Averitt Express (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment as a work place,very clean.

Cons

Could give better pay for city drivers

Advice to Management

Keep pace with competition on regular basis

"ORT Truck Driver"

Former Employee - ORT Truck Driver in Richland, MS
    Former Employee - ORT Truck Driver in Richland, MS

I worked at Averitt Express full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They give good miles, and they give you holiday paid. I liked working for them. They are a good company to work for.

Cons

Sometimes low miles,and their yard is not large enough

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work