Avery Dennison Reviews | Glassdoor

Avery Dennison President & CEO Mitchell Butier
Mitchell Butier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Struggled with work-life balance; although job is very flexible and accommodating (in 29 reviews)

• Upper management completely disconnected from workforce and not interested in divisions or their people (in 18 reviews)

1. "Aren't honest about assignments"

Former Contractor - Quality Manager in Clinton, SC
    Former Contractor - Quality Manager in Clinton, SC

I worked at Avery Dennison as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Been around a long time.
    Some work is federal contracts

Cons

Toxic Corporate Environment ("Buddy System" permeates, cliquish)
    Dishonest about US assignments especially those they're sending to Mexico and China.
    Do not train!...
    Middle, Entrenched management are threatened by initiative from subordinates and often finds ways to dismiss the best people.

Advice to Management

Honesty IS STILL the BEST Policy. If you only need a temporary employee, be decent enough to..
    1)Hire them direct instead of using 3rd party employers
    2)Tell them UP front.."We need someone for just two weeks BUT it could be longer or we might need you in another part of the plant". That way, the prospective employee would know for sure going in. (Do unto others as you would have done unto you)
    3)Analyze and evalutate your middle management for signs of "feather bedding"

"Backward management, slow motion train wreck"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The rank and file employees that are currently there generally love the company and put forth 100% effort.

Cons

The Executive team is seriously old-school, with backward views on brand management and human resources. The company has recently dissolved it's corporate research center, is sustainability group and its corporate communications group. The CEO is trying to sell off the company piece by piece.

Advice to Management

Read some contemporary management books, i.e., Good to Great. Avery Dennison fits squarely within the parameters of companies bound for failure, which is sad.

"Where are we going?"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Brea, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Brea, CA

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Coworkers (the ones that have chosen to stay among the turmoil) are fantastic.
    Leadership sometimes gives their LA Clippers/Lakers/Kings tickets to employees.
    Opportunity for international travel

Cons

Leadership does not communicate business direction.
    Layoffs always around the corner, very stressful.
    Re-organization and re-structuring 2+ times per year.
    Hard to do process improvements with shrinking budget.

Advice to Management

Share your vision for the direction of this company. A lot of us are worried, and are not getting any answers.

"Sweet to sour"

Current Employee - Process Operator in Painesville, OH
    Current Employee - Process Operator in Painesville, OH

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Avery painesville at one time was thr best place to work. The management in the 70's 80's and 90's involved the employees on team to deal with issues (FEA members). In 2000's Avery went degree for all management from teamleader up and thats when it went sour.

Cons

Micro managed, misleading on issues, no retirement or benifits when you leave in the future from avery. I would not by stocks anymore in this company. the CEO will take a large raise and stock option while the workers on the floor didn't get a raise for a couple of years.

Advice to Management

Hope that Stan Avery cannot get out of his grave because you all will most likely loose your jobs. Look at the OSHA and labor laws closer and start following them to be a better place to work

5. "Not so great"

Former Employee - IT Director in Pasadena, CA
    Former Employee - IT Director in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A lot of major challenges working in a global corporation and experience that you won't find in most corporations. The facility has a great location.

Cons

Like any large corporation, the company is run for the benefit of upper management. The little folks just get used and then thrown away. There isn't any really commitment to employees, regardless of their contributions or sacrifices.

Advice to Management

Realize the value of those employees that combine experience with a commitment to the corporation. Don't throw them overboard to achieve a short term financial goal.

"Deteriorating business."

Former Contractor - Engineer in Brea, CA
    Former Contractor - Engineer in Brea, CA

I worked at Avery Dennison as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. Hard working individuals who are dedicated to their craft. Open work environment.

Cons

Lack of communication from upper management. Company reorgs every 6 months, which is incredibly stressful. High turnover, very low morale and no budget. Contractors will remain contractors for years.

7. "Stuck in the '80s"

Former Employee - Inside Account Representative in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Inside Account Representative in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance...most employees are nice.

Cons

Management is stuck in the '80s and are able to grasp that the ways of selling have changed. They need to embrace technology and change and communicate with people the way they want to be communicated with.

Advice to Management

Change is good embrace it!

"Not good for career growth only for people looking for a stable , so get out as fast as you can if you want to grow"

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is stable , good benefits in terms of healthcare and compensation for a starting role.

Cons

This is by far the worst company I have worked for. Management is pathetic- they have no clue what their subordinates are doing though they are paid more than 10 times of a fresh graduate employee.Employee evaluation is not based on job performance or workload but purely on impression, people who do no work get promoted and the others work their ass off for years with no reward or recognition or career growth. There is no focus on team work or projects because everyone is interested in impressing the boss by putting the blame on someone else rather than resolving the real issues or understanding the problems. Meetings are merely debate contests with no action items so it is all talk and no action.
    Too much buraeucracy and different levels for escalations especially with the IT, it takes way too much time to get things done so it is very frustrating.

Advice to Management

Please get out of your office and interact more with employees from all levels in your organization to know what are the real issues affecting the company. Fancy powerpoint slides and closed loop discussions are completely useless if you have no clue what your subordinates are doing. Please ensure to take your team members's feedback before making crucial decisions affecting them.

"production specialist"

Pros

I believe I do not know any pros.

Cons

brown nosers to the bosses will only get ahead

"A distasteful experience so far"

Current Contractor - Analyst in Glendale, CA
    Current Contractor - Analyst in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Avery Dennison as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I legitimately can't think of any. I wish I could say I was exaggerating or being biased, but this is simply not a positive place to work. The only pro is that its a job. And in this tough job market you take what you can get. But even then I'd advise you to hold out a little longer and find a place you won't hate having to drive in to every morning.

Cons

Management is terrible here. For a new employee there is usually some type of process where you at least attempt to integrate the person into the culture and the workplace environment. There was zero effort to do this whatsoever, especially on the workplace process side of things. I shouldn't have to beg my manager to know what a standard report should look like. And managers who can barely communicate what they want should not be managers in the first place, because they will inevitably take out their lack of ability on the team and lower morale.

The new work space is nice because its open and bright, but overall its not enough to redeem the company. Its a bit far from good places to eat too, which makes even enjoying your lunch time difficult.

Advice to Management

Just because a person was good at their job and managed to not be fired for whatever extended period of time Avery kept them at that level, does not mean that person has the leadership capabilities to be a manager. Avery doesn't seem to get this, and for this reason has a terrible set of managers in place. One VP in particular doesn't even speak to his team directly unless through one person whom he has decided is his favorite. My manager has a severe inability to communicate what she wants, but is insistent on everything being the specific way she wants it. I've heard of other managers completely ignoring their team and then overworking them when senior management starts to ask questions. Its disgusting, really. Classic case of an old school company allowing the old school mentality to run it to the ground.