Avery Dennison Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Avery Dennison President & CEO Mitchell Butier
Mitchell Butier

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, great benefits, security of a large company (in 31 reviews)

• Flexible time and work environment (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to be disciplined to keep a good work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Cult-like over-zealous monthly calls with upper management about how the company is wonderful and perfect - fails to address common issues (in 17 reviews)

1. "ACCOUNTING"

Former Employee - Finance in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Finance in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

No career progress, no career growth, the employee is a machine that have to complete task. STAY FAR FROM THIS COMPANY

Cons

Managers not able to manage the people and dynamic scenarios. They are not clear with the employee.
    No accounting skills

Advice to Management

Management to change

2. "accounts payable-cork"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I will say none, avoid

Cons

- Exessive targets
    -Poor leadership or lack
    -High rotation of the staff

Advice to Management

Well , they know exactly what is going on , if you try to advice - you will get answer -"is good to take fresh employess" . So there is no point.

3. "No Vision, All Talk and No Action"

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people at base level, well-intentioned and hard working.

Cons

Leadership is non-existent. For all of the talk of vision and strategy, no evidence of either. Vindictive people management style.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the talkers and find some real strategic thinkers. All talk and no action will not lead to real market growth.

4. "Not Investors in People"

Former Employee - Customer Services in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Services in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice work colleagues, better than stakeholder pension scheme.

Cons

Keep watching over your shoulder as Redundancies out of the blue. Just made 7% more profit than previous year and tell us all we are moving you all into a nice purpose built office, we are investing in your future, Then WHAM but 50% of you are redundant. Senior managers who are not on the site make awful decisions which end up with this company losing its CORE trained loyal staff. They have no Morals anymore and If anyone is thinking of working for them, DON'T bother.

Advice to Management

Do not let senior managers make shop floor decisions on places they have not even visited. I have seen the most loyal employee made redundant because of that lack of foresight and they have moved over to your competitor, which is their gain. If you need to make changes consult the staff involved and local managers. Can see this company lose many major accounts in the coming year.

"Overworked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport Harbor, Lake, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport Harbor, Lake, OH

Pros

Benefits, vacation time, sick/personal time.

Cons

In just the past few months the company is taking on way to much, expecting the employees to meet the managements ridiculous standards and workload. Mandatory every Saturday for the last few months, employees required to stay late during the week. If you have/want a family, Avery in Fairport is not the place to go. Meanwhile, of course the upper management requiring all of this nonsense gets all of their extra time off to have a life with their families and friends.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. You are going to put yourself in a hole when all of your long term and good employees get tired of the nonsense. Stop caring about just the money, without employees you will be making no improvements in the end.

"Killing myself daily"

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work from home it is okay to do it. I would say that if you like to travel and you really see the world (or at least Asia), it is possible here too. Lastly, you get to be a change maker, this is a great opportunity for you. Just know that this job is a time investment and it is a social life and family life killer.

Cons

I would not recommend this job to family people. I think that is why everyone I work with is either single and young or not married. I have a family and it is very difficult on us. Every day I feel that I am under siege because of my enormous workload. I am so barraged that it is not only no fun at work, but it also makes my life revolve around my job, and I hate that. With this volume of work, I must work 12 hours a day and then put in hours on the weekend to fill in the gaps because of meetings and overseas conference calls. And the worst part is... they are yelling at me too after I do all that to complete the work that is needed that is not perfect. If I had it to do over again, I would not have come here and if I get the chance to leave, I probably will.

Advice to Management

If I am working 70-80 hours a week and sacrificing my time with my family to complete projects and my boss and my team are complaining about the work that is being completed, I would say that is probably a sign of mismanagement. I cannot possibly put in more time that I am now and if they want to quality of work to increase, they need to take something off of my plate. I don't know what else to say except... I hate it here and if this doesn't get better, people like me who really work hard to please their boss and make them look great will leave and we will be replaced with people who don't care.

7. "Avery Dennison Belgie"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turnhout, Antwerp (Belgium)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turnhout, Antwerp (Belgium)

I worked at Avery Dennison (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting products: Pressure Sensitive Adhesives, International environment,

Cons

Not clear responsibilities, lack of management

8. "They don't care"

Former Employee - Department Lead in Lenoir, NC
    Former Employee - Department Lead in Lenoir, NC

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay ,time off ,holidays . Home life

Cons

They only look to shut down American factories.

Advice to Management

Make American great again

9. "Like working in a racist office in the 50's or in Apartheid South Africa."

Former Employee - Intern in Oegstgeest (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Intern in Oegstgeest (Netherlands)

I worked at Avery Dennison (Less than a year)

Pros

The office building is really nice and modern and located in a nice area surrounded by a surprising amount of nature.

Cons

Rampant blatant racism and anti-semitism. The most hostile office and corporate environment you can imagine. Virtually no minorities except in the lowest positions and exploited interns. If you're not a good looking athletic white person, employees will literally stare at you with a look of utter disgust as if you dared to use the wrong water fountain or sat in a seat at the front of the bus. Those unfortunate enough to be born in minorities are so paranoid, highly-strung and defensive you can't help but feel really sorry for them. Lunchtime is 30 minutes of watching colleagues suck up to the boss. Those most likely to succeed are pompous pretentious bullies who surround themselves with minions that flirt with them and worship every word that comes out of their mouths, no matter what. If you want to experience what it feels like to live under apartheid, try working here.

Advice to Management

Exploiting minorities doing internships for PR photos is NOT diversity.

10. "ECP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schwelm (Germany)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Schwelm (Germany)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Auslandserfahrung, Einfaches on the job learning, Gehalt i.O., junges Klima

Cons

Mehr Schein als Sein, ECP's werden angeheuert weil keine attraktiven Vollzeitkräfte gefunden werden

Advice to Management

Konsequent innovatives Denken vorantreiben und endlich mal Longtermwise Denken