Avery Dennison Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to be disciplined to keep a good work life balance (in 27 reviews)

• Cult-like over-zealous monthly calls with upper management about how the company is wonderful and perfect - fails to address common issues (in 17 reviews)

1. "Awesome Company"

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time

Pros

Flexible
    Great Pay
    Good people
    Great Managers
    Great work environment

Cons

High paced, stressful at times. It's hard disconnection from work at times, you are literally working sometimes round the clock.

Advice to Management

Keep being opened and approachable

2. "Fine Company to work for"

Former Employee - Operator in Painesville, OH
    Former Employee - Operator in Painesville, OH

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good management team at the local level. Great co-workers. Good pay.

Cons

Company is not growing as it once was.

3. "No Vision, All Talk and No Action"

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people at base level, well-intentioned and hard working.

Cons

Leadership is non-existent. For all of the talk of vision and strategy, no evidence of either. Vindictive people management style.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the talkers and find some real strategic thinkers. All talk and no action will not lead to real market growth.

4. "A good company, but a big company"

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time

Pros

Great work flexibility, great team to work with

Cons

Difficult work life balance, overtime and internal wiring can be quite complex

"operator"

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Quakertown, PA
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Quakertown, PA

I worked at Avery Dennison part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fellow workers great, rate of pay good,job responsibilities ok. Work flow and responsibilities ok at times.Clean working conditions.

Cons

Very hard to get a fair pay increase, seems like you just miss the goal to get fair pay bump,Management shows favoritism double standards. Scheduled weekend work too much overtime no personal time for family.Management out of touch with work force needs.

Advice to Management

Respect your work force and treat them fairly to get better results.

"Organizational issues"

I have been working at Avery Dennison (Less than a year)

Pros

Market Leader. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Lack of transparency. Too many organizational changes within a short period of time. Management does not appreciate employees.

Advice to Management

Communicate more. Listen to employees. Treat employees better. Re-organize smarter, not more frequently.

"Continuous downsizing of the company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Friendly atmosphere. Great 401k and health insurance.

Cons

Layoffs happening every 6 months since I started 4 years ago. Which is a part of the business but a lot of layoffs were handling with no care for employees and their families like getting rid of people right before Christmas. All of this produces a lot of doubt and angst throughout the company. Everyone is walking on eggshells because of lack of job security. Management changes always happening and no clear set path from top management on how to be successful.

Advice to Management

Don't look at your employees just as numbers. Actually train out employees when you say you will.

"Overworked"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport Harbor, Lake, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairport Harbor, Lake, OH

Pros

Benefits, vacation time, sick/personal time.

Cons

In just the past few months the company is taking on way to much, expecting the employees to meet the managements ridiculous standards and workload. Mandatory every Saturday for the last few months, employees required to stay late during the week. If you have/want a family, Avery in Fairport is not the place to go. Meanwhile, of course the upper management requiring all of this nonsense gets all of their extra time off to have a life with their families and friends.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. You are going to put yourself in a hole when all of your long term and good employees get tired of the nonsense. Stop caring about just the money, without employees you will be making no improvements in the end.

9. "Project Manager"

Former Employee - Project Manager
    Former Employee - Project Manager

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Good company with solid career growth and investment in their people.

Cons

Some of the divisions in the company (especially their retail and information division) lack clear strategic direction. They do things without thinking long term, including big changes like org restructures, that they eventually end up reversing.

Advice to Management

Think about strategies that make sense long term.

"Killing myself daily"

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work from home it is okay to do it. I would say that if you like to travel and you really see the world (or at least Asia), it is possible here too. Lastly, you get to be a change maker, this is a great opportunity for you. Just know that this job is a time investment and it is a social life and family life killer.

Cons

I would not recommend this job to family people. I think that is why everyone I work with is either single and young or not married. I have a family and it is very difficult on us. Every day I feel that I am under siege because of my enormous workload. I am so barraged that it is not only no fun at work, but it also makes my life revolve around my job, and I hate that. With this volume of work, I must work 12 hours a day and then put in hours on the weekend to fill in the gaps because of meetings and overseas conference calls. And the worst part is... they are yelling at me too after I do all that to complete the work that is needed that is not perfect. If I had it to do over again, I would not have come here and if I get the chance to leave, I probably will.

Advice to Management

If I am working 70-80 hours a week and sacrificing my time with my family to complete projects and my boss and my team are complaining about the work that is being completed, I would say that is probably a sign of mismanagement. I cannot possibly put in more time that I am now and if they want to quality of work to increase, they need to take something off of my plate. I don't know what else to say except... I hate it here and if this doesn't get better, people like me who really work hard to please their boss and make them look great will leave and we will be replaced with people who don't care.