Avery Dennison Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 19, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You have to be disciplined to keep a good work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• Cult-like over-zealous monthly calls with upper management about how the company is wonderful and perfect - fails to address common issues (in 17 reviews)

"If they didn't have computer screens on the floor ..you would swear you just walked back in time to the 70's!"

Current Employee - Machine Operator in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay in a very safe environment. The benefits are good and we get $325 a year for new safety boots and uniforms. The maintenance team there is awesome and always on time and very helpful. We get the weekends off and some paid holidays.
    I really think the new plant manager is trying to turn this place around and for the better. Management always preaches safety first and they definitely practice what they preach!

Cons

When I hired I made sure they had tuition reimbursement. I haven't had any to date. You have to fill out a form and turn it in. If you are picked for reimbursement you will get it, if not then your just out of luck. They definitely do not encourage any type of advancement and training. You will have to fight tooth and nail to get trained on a different machine. They haven't a clue of what cross training is. The managers (if you have one on your shift) rarely even come out and talk to you. So you're stuck at the mercy of line leaders and they happen to have their own clicks. The animosity amongst employees is so bad you will be depressed just thinking about having to go to work. I've been in a few factories and this one is by far the worst in teamwork and friendly-ness hands down!

The pay is great for the work we do. However, the vacation time they give can hardly ever be used as their policy forbids more than 2 people off per shift at a time. First shift has the most senior employees and a lot of them are senior in age and really out of shape so they do a lot less making more work for the other 2 shifts. There is a lesser pay for new hires and the senior employees are way ahead. This causes a lot of animosity amongst employees making for a very negative environment.

I've been there only 2 years and have seen 3 different HR reps come and go. Have had 3 different supervisors come and go. We are currently without a supervisor now on my shift so we have to email HR with any questions and hope they get back to is in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Cross train your employees and listen to them when they speak. Encourage continued education and make a way for them to have a chance to actually get it. Did I already mention 'cross training'?????

"Continuing to focus only on cost"

Former Employee - Vice President/GM in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Vice President/GM in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Avery Dennison (More than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunity to progress in career across multiple disciplines.

Cons

Senior management often relies on the advice of outside consultants as opposed to their own internal employees with years of service and experience.

Advice to Management

Value the years of experience you have with your employees who know the business.

"Great people no management"

Former Employee - Production Artist in Lenoir, NC
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Lenoir, NC

I worked at Avery Dennison (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People to work with

Cons

Zero management direction, everyone does what they please

Advice to Management

Get Some

"Good company, lots of change."

Current Employee - Market Segment Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Market Segment Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Avery Dennison (More than 5 years)

Pros

Avery Dennison is the Market Leader in their core business and 2nd in the remaining business segments. They have a nice global footprint and there is opportunity for career growth.

Cons

The company is constantly in a state of flux. There are regular restructuring charges on their balance sheet. The biggest unknown is how will they continue to grow their core business.

5. "80 Years Strong, with All Kinds of Potential"

Current Employee - Vice President in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Vice President in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Meaningful work, great opportunities to have an impact if you're motivated, wonderful and loyal colleagues, high quality products, good compensation and benefits package. Ethical, global company offers many opportunities within and across divisions and geographies to top performers.

Cons

Avery Dennison has been a great company for me personally, and the cons are far, far outweighed by the opportunities I've had to develop as a leader, peer, follower and person. I do not believe the grass is greener anywhere else!

Advice to Management

Empower employees at every level to serve customers to the best of their ability.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mentor, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Mentor, OH

Pros

The product is great and the brand is strong.

Cons

Management needs to work more on the strategy

Advice to Management

Consult employees for ideas on how to make the company better.

7. "Paid Well - Check your hourly rate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Akron, OH

I worked at Avery Dennison (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compared to others I know in the same industry and field, pay is a little more than above average. When the company actually hosts employee events, they are great.

Cons

Factor that pay into how many hours you work during close, budgets, forecasts, reporting, and just about anytime there is some type of fire drill, and be sure to count the time you are at home responding to emails, phone calls and hopping on international conference calls while missing time with your kids in what you make hourly. Can be the difference of 40% some weeks/month.

Advice to Management

Hire more people. Fire the incompetent people. Keep your employees happy by keeping the standing traditions of the Park Opener, Clam Bake, Kids Halloween and Xmas parties. It's the little things that help.

8. "A Branded World"

Current Employee - General Manager in Mentor, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Mentor, OH

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay is solid, but does not compensate for additional work hours and work days per week.

Cons

Work - Life balance is not priority for management. No comp time. One works the hours necessary to complete the tasks needing to be done for success of the Company.

Advice to Management

Ensure the employees feel the time spent working for the Company is appreciated and not taken for granted.

9. "Packaging Specialist"

Former Employee - Consultant in Glendale, CA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Glendale, CA

I worked at Avery Dennison (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people...all levels and departments.

Cons

Salary and benefits could be better.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing in Labels, your employees are happy.

10. "None"

Current Employee - Line Worker in Greenfield, IN
    Current Employee - Line Worker in Greenfield, IN

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay. Friendly staff. Good insurance.

Cons

Not much overtime. Very hot! Clean factory

Advice to Management

None