Avidyne Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Avidyne Corporation President Dan Schwinn
Dan Schwinn

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Customer Service Technician"

Former Employee - Customer Service Technician in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Technician in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Avidyne Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

The products that I worked on were State of the Art.

Cons

Got Laid off with no warning. 1 Month after I got Married.

2. "Sales"

I worked at Avidyne Corporation full-time

Pros

Great Exposure to network with other people in aviation.
    Great way to travel around to the aviation shows.
    Great Products.

Cons

Cons
    Training is very minimal.
    There is a disconnect between employees at other locations.
    Commissions have been cut 3 times.
    Ask for help on learning how to sell and its "Pull a number and wait mentality"
    Horrible Communication in company.
    There is no set way to conduct things, "find a way that works for you."
    False Promises
    Upper Management is clueless.
    "Wing it Mentality" or Reactive Approach

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees have to say.
    Hire Marcus Lemonus to come help revive the business. You have great products, just lacking the right attitude and management skills.
    Steve Jobs said, “It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.”
    You're not that smart. Listen when others have advice.

3. "Design aircraft instrument panels and aircraft wiring for Supplemental Type Certificates."

Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer I in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer I in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Avidyne Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The paychecks don't bounce and the medical benefits are better than average. The company is small so you get to know just about everybody.

Cons

Employment goes up and down as the sales go up and down. HQ is in MA and the Flight testing is in FL.

Advice to Management

Promise at least 12 months employment in a contract with a golden parachute.

"No room for growth"

I have been working at Avidyne Corporation full-time

Pros

Good place to start and gain some experiance

Cons

No room for growth. Were getting rid of my position and didn't tell me. Good thing I got a new job.

"Great People"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Avidyne Corporation full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people and products. The innovative culture motivates the staff keep pushing for the love of it.

Cons

The size of the company makes it difficult for larger aircraft OEMs to invest since they can't trust that the company will survive in 2-3 years.

"Awesome work environment!!!"

Current Employee - Assembler in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Assembler in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at Avidyne Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management and staff laid back and fruendly...

Cons

Experience with one bad apple..... And person was talked to about attitude multiple times about talking nasty to employees , being rude, yelling at employees... And from what other employees have told me, is still going on.. Manager has blown them off... Human resources has backed out and left it to managers..

"drawbacks probably outweigh the benefits"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Avidyne Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The benefits package is pretty nice. They'll work with you on your schedule (if you need flexibility). You probably will not be micromanaged: they trust you with most things that aren't UI-related (back-end stuff) so you probably won't be guided by committee.

Cons

I had 1 performance review in eight years, and few raises. For awhile we actually worked with reduced pay, and then when things improved and they gave us our back-pay it was treated as a "bonus". Many many rounds of layoffs. Strange decisions by upper management means that we've isolated and aggravated most of our customer base. Read the forums on Avidyne.com to witness firsthand. Process Improvements / code refactoring always take a backseat to just finishing.

Advice to Management

Software is at least as important as hardware. OEMs are where the money/flexibility's at. NRE isn't free.

"Great people and work environment. Stop announcing products years in advance"

I worked at Avidyne Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people at Avidyne are great and it is a good environment to work. Salaries are fair and benefits are good. Bonus days given around major holidays

Cons

Products announced years in advance of delivery. If you have a customer facing job you end up dealing with upset customers on a daily basis.

1% raise in 5 years and always the worry of lay offs. I made it through three rounds of lay offs luckily.

Three locations for a company of 125 people is crazy. There is a lot of tension between the MA and FL locations and can be unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Stop announcing products years in advance to fund the development of the product you've announced.

"A transformed company"

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Avidyne Corporation full-time

Pros

The work is very interesting, especially for anyone with an interest in aviation. The company has gone through a radical transformation in the last few years. The engineering team is considerably smaller than before the great recession, but the remaining core of engineers are all top-notch. It is a tight-knit team that is really incredibly talented and fun to work with. Managers do not micro-manage and you have a great deal of flexibility, and the responsibility to go with it. The executive team is approachable and genuinely seem interested in the employees. The high stress days of 2008 are pretty much a memory--we don't forget the great people we lost, but we have been able to adapt and come out stronger.

Cons

Pay is fair, but wages tend to stagnate. There isn't much room for advancement since the teams are so small. Schedules are sometimes a bit aggressive, but management has been getting much better about realistic scheduling lately. SW development for aviation is not as simple as java or development--more than half the development time will be dedicated to dealing with requirement/document generation or testing mandated by the FAA.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but maybe throw us a bone on salary/bonus.

"Truly unique ( not in a good way)"

I worked at Avidyne Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Reasonable benefits and compensation. They have a few bright, motivated and capable managers and directors.

Cons

Fractured business model, management is completely disinterested in realizing that improvements are grossly overdue. 2 main offices, one in Massachusetts and one in Florida. The advacerial relationship among the locations was in my opinion unprecedented. They are committed to tearing the last bits of good reputation to shreds.

Advice to Management

Stop believing the fantasy view of the company and it's direction