Avigilon Reviews | Glassdoor

Avigilon Reviews

Updated Aug 20, 2019

Found 170 reviews

3.4
Avigilon CEO James Henderson (no image)
James Henderson

"Awful place"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Avigilon full-time

Pros

Close to Dallas dining district

Cons

Apart from racist comments in interview and oh so inappropriate dress code (OMG is that a dress or did you forget your trousers???)

Advice to Management

Introduce a corporate code of conduct before you're sued for sexual/racial harassment

Avigilon2016-06-07

"Horrifying company!"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Office location is great and they are opening a brand new office soon. - Fantastic product - Benefits are average to on par with simular compeanies - Pay is good

Cons

- Senior leadership is absolutely insane. - The founder, Alex Fernades thinks the insanely high turnover rate is normal. Its not normal. There is no rhyme or reason to who is fired on any given day, week, or month. The most turnover I've ever seen. - Alex has a very closed door policy. No one ever sees him walk the halls. He is not social and does not care about his employees. At our town hall meeting he... gave a speach about how if you are not a good fit for the company you should leave. And that people that don't fit the culture (what ever that is) and stayed would proably be terminated. - Management is concerned about negative glass door reviews. Rather than listen to the feedback and/or try to make any adjustments their solution was to try to pad the comments in Glassdoor by telling employees they need to go post positive reviews. - The founder started and sold a a much smaller company before Avigilon. He thinks this makes him a highly qualified CEO, but he is not. He is trying to run this $350 million dollar company the way he ran his small company and is failing miserably by micro-managing every aspect of the business and not trusting the people he hires. He still approves almost every new hire position, including managers and specialists. - Management will lie to employees about Glassdoor reviews "that was the old leadership and its changed", "those reviews are mostly from sales people that were let go from the company for cause", "this is a great place to work, those reviews don't represent what we're really like", etc. - When interviewing make sure to ask how long each person has been with the company. Avigilon is nearly 10 years old. The majority of employees have worked there for 0 - 3 yrs. The average is probably about 1yr. It's very hard to find anyone that has been there for 5 or more years. No, not every company has a long list of 10yr employees, but the lack of tenure at avigilon is staggering. - I've been here too long. I want out! I wish I knew about Glassdoor when I started.

Advice to Management

If I thought managment would listen I would provide feedback. I have so little faith that they will listen I'm not going to waste my time.

Avigilon2016-04-25

"Strong transformation"

Regional Sales Manager in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Avigilon for more than a year

Pros

Avigilon is rebooting itself into a new company with new leadership, new focus, internal organization and renewed emphasis on customers and services. Strong product portfolio, more innovation to come

Cons

Is like working for a giant Startup. People coming, leaving, lack of defined processed, lack of structure, have to be finding who does what every month

Advice to Management

Hurry up with alignment of strategies, reduce growing pains!

Avigilon2016-02-17

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Corinth, TX

I worked at Avigilon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Company! Enjoyed working there.

Cons

Wish they would allow working from home.

Avigilon2016-02-03

"Admin"

Human Resources in Dallas, TX

I worked at Avigilon

Pros

Good working atmosphere Approachable on site leadership

Cons

Org structure should be streamlined

Avigilon2016-02-17

"Sales"

I have been working at Avigilon

Pros

fast paced work environment. very competitive and the chance to make a really good bonus an commissions. great leadership and support staff in place

Cons

Required to work very long hours at time. Product is rather complex and difficult to learn. also, have to work very very long hours at times

Advice to Management

get some softer chairs in the office. and it would nice to have a coffee machine that works in the break room. ours was broke for over 5 months

Avigilon2015-12-09

"Solid employer; great people and great product, but flaws in people management"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great potential for growth; driven people are appreciated and being goal-oriented is a must for sales staff, which means it's rare to have to pull the weight of a slacker on your team. Nice benefits, and wonderful co-workers. Fantastic product that practically sells itself, and actually works as advertised. Wide range of end to end solutions sets Avigilon apart from all others in the market. Well designed and... engineered products. Manufacturing team is producing top notch product. Customer goodwilll is enhanced by excellent support staff. Excellent knowledge base in pre and post sales field engineering teams. If you are internally motivated and tenacious, despite the cons, the opportunities for growth make this an amazing company to work for. Organization feels very stable in terms of decision making and momentum.

Cons

Avigilon struggles with how to effectively listen to employee concerns and respond in a timely manner, leading some to burn out very quickly. There is not enough focus on the well being of the sales staff, fostering negativity. People skills are rarely considered (or very low ranking) when promoting managers. Some in leadership have genuine contributions to make, but lack the ability to build cohesive teams or... develop talent to full potential. If you can't lead people, your success as a manager is limited to supervising execution. That type of management cannot motivate or build loyalty, no matter how good their sales numbers were before promotion.

Advice to Management

The upper sales management could do more to solicit honest feedback from the troops in the field. No mechanism exists to push concerns and ideas for improvement up the chain of command. Lower level management will listen patiently to the employees, but most of those managers are unwilling to upset the status quo by suggesting opposing views to their higher ups. This is because voicing these opinions or concerns is... considered by the upper levels of managers to be dissent, or a bad attitude. The root of this is the lack of leadership. There are an abundance of managers executing orders from the top, but there is a sorry lack of creative, inspiring leadership. Conviction, guts, and solid logic are needed to move this organization forward. Team members need to feel like this organization is serious about empowering them to be successful. The sales team needs to feel like this organization is serious about retaining their talent and growing with them. Managers should be reviewed anonymously by their reports. Results of this should be factored into possible professional development training to strengthen weak leadership skills. Hiring managers should be evaluated, and if needed, receive training on interview skills.

Avigilon2015-11-12

"Average Company"

I have been working at Avigilon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company has a useful product that meets immediate market needs. Small teams programming shop that has ties to not-for-profits organizations.

Cons

Company does not have longer term plan and employee compensation is very different from the low to top tier. Small company may not be insecure in the longer term.

Advice to Management

Would be good to improve project leaders's technical knowledge in order to add energy to team.

Avigilon2015-11-24

"Do not drink the kool aid"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Instructor in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Avigilon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing, the product is great the culture is one of the worst I have seen.

Cons

Management, telling the truth seems to be optional.

Advice to Management

Man up, treat people like humans, and tell the truth

Avigilon2015-12-06

"Interesting Experience.."

Former Employee - Business Development in Dallas, TX

I worked at Avigilon full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very good products and technology. Certainly woke up the rest of the industry and made them realize that constant innovation is essential to stay competitive.

Cons

Hands down the worst culture I have ever experienced. The intimidation type of atmosphere combined with a commercial team made up of used-car salesman was almost comical. They throw around the "performance culture" mantra but leave out the fact the culture lacks honesty, integrity and a basic level of cognitive ability. I knew within one week I had made a huge mistake going there. Sales leadership was completely... inept and quite honestly embarrassing to even be around and listen to.

Advice to Management

Looks like senior leadership finally realized they had to make some big changes. Glad to see that happen but I still wonder how those individuals were even chosen in the first place.

Avigilon2015-11-13