Avios Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Andrew Crawley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

"Wonderful Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

I have been working at Avios full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Staff and Management are engaged and focused

Cons

Parking can sometimes be an issue

"Definitely not for you. Keep away, Danger, Danger...."

Former Employee - Web Support in Gatwick, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Support in Gatwick, England (UK)

I worked at Avios (More than a year)

Pros

None to really speak of, whatever anyone puts here, remember other companies are offering far more.

Cons

When I left, I had £1440.00 taken from my salary.

It was half the cost of a training course I took a year earlier.

The course should have been taken in 2016, but was cancelled due to budget constraints. NOT MY FAULT?

I was made to sign a repayment form that said I would have to pay back if I left before one year and given no choice, sign the form or no training course.

However the training was ESSENTIAL FOR MY ROLE, which could not have been performed without the course.
    The training course was mandatory and added to my yearly objectives set by my line manager. So no course, missed objective, affects yearly bonus.

I took the course in Jan 2017, I left in Feb 2018 over a year later, they still took the money from me saying 'you resigned before the year was out!'

I only left because we were all told by senior management 'If your job can be outsourced it will be' (Cheap labour flown in from India). So it was obvious that there was no future and we were not really wanted.

I saw English workers with > 10, 15, 20 years faithful service being made redundant only to have people from India sitting in the same seat doing the same role the following week. IS THIS LEGAL??

Very sad that a British company does not contribute to the local economy and has no loyalty to the UK whatsoever. Profit, Profit, Profit at all costs and stuff the rest.

Shame on you.

Advice to Management

Become human and have some empathy to your fellow countrymen.

"Avios have lost the plot"

Former Employee - Partner Manager in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Avios full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues with excellent vision

Cons

Leadership team with no clarity of purpose

Advice to Management

Be honest about why you are closing the Avios programmes down

4. "Worst place I have ever considered for work"

I worked at Avios part-time

Pros

free tea and coffee

Cons

During training we had been informed of the process for ringing in if you are ill, we had been advised if you take 3 seperate absences you would potentially be dismissed. during my training I was sent home due to being ill and vomitting so I missed the last 2 hours of training I rang in the following day to inform them I was ill and would not be attending that day. I returned the following day to be informed I had not contacted them as such they had terminated my employment, I was shocked at the callous attitude of prospective employees who could potentially offer years of service. I did correct them and offered evidence on my phone I had contacted them at 8.00am to advise I would not be attending the day I was ill and the allegation I had not called in simply was not true. I was advised I had missed too much from the missed days training although I had spoken to my colleagues who I was in training with who advised me they had spent most of the day playing games and minimal catching up would be required. The company does not care one bit about staff welfare and make no allowances, they ended my training using inaccurate information, I would not recommend this company to anyone as they do not look after employees in the slightest.

Advice to Management

Look after your staff they are your most important asset and improve your communication if someone rings in at 8.00 am reporting illness this should be passed to the relevant manager. People are occasionally ill we are not robots you will lose the service of a lot of good agents with this no tolerance policy.

"A sad end coming"

Current Employee - Manager in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Avios full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The travel perks are fine but nothing compared to others in the industry.

Cons

With so many heads now being cut there is zero security for a future here beyond 2018. All of the skilled dedicated employees have been cut and those remaining either want to leave or are fighting for survival. It is a sad time now seeing this company decompose like something off a National Geographic documentary. Unless you are looking for a very short stepping stone or currently unemployed I would strongly consider looking elsewhere for employment.

Advice to Management

What is Avios to the employees? Do they have a brand or product they understand? Do they refer to it as being their employer or do they just claim to be working at BA? There could have been such a good strong team at Avios but it is now just over and a sad place to be. Sad times…

6. "Great place to get experience in the travel loyalty industry"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crawley, West Sussex, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at Avios full-time

Pros

Great people to work with. Very interesting field to work in. Great work benefits and work/life balance.

Cons

Many internal changes and restructures have happened in recent years which can cause work to be unpredictable. Priorities change very often, so it's difficult to understand the long term company vision.

"Disappointing place to work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Avios full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Travel benefits. Friendly colleagues. Option to work remotely. New CEO is a massive improvement on the last. Offices are uninspiring but are clean and new.

Cons

Not the place to drive your career forward. Despite recent changes to leadership, still very hierarchical with outdated management style. Many egos at the top. Strategy remains unclear year after year. Very little investment in nurturing talent and lack of career progression. Leadership team talk a lot, but rarely listen (incidentally the company values are listen, think, act, but few at the top listen first, particular to the experts they hire around them). Perhaps this shows insecurity amongst some of the top team. Leaders act like they need to have all the answers and give staff very little autonomy, which has a damaging effect on creativity and solution delivery. Fortunately, changes to the top team have helped give some hope, but some remain who continue to hold the company back. Customers are often treated like an inconvenience, despite a customer centric mantra.

Advice to Management

Listen, listen, listen. Make use of the skillsets you bring into the business to guide and inform. Scrap the market structure, it doesn’t work. Staff need to be empowered and given the autonomy to succeed. Focus on the culture you want - management will routinely walk past their staff in the hall and not even say hello for example. Note that staff were instructed to leave positive Glassdoor review on 13 March to game the system (why mask the issues instead of fixing them?). Strategy at Avios is PowerPoint slide after PowerPoint slide - ban the use of diagrams to explain strategy and switch the focus to execution.

"Avoid like the plague"

Pros

Free tea and coffee and in a nice area.

Cons

Keep on piling on the work and expecting more and more however targets get more and more absurd and unachievable.

Lots of forums asking what they can do to improve moral but very little action taken

Good luck trying to book holidays as it's near impossible and shrouded in rediculous rules.

If like hating every minute of your working day and feeling unappreciated, this is the place to be.

Advice to Management

Would be to keep staff informed and actually spend some time understanding the role to understand if the targets you set are actually achievable.

Don't keep asking for what can be done to improve moral and then ignoring it.

"It's all going down hill"

I worked at Avios full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flights.
    There are some great people that work there.
    The local shops.

Cons

Staff are demotivated. Very low morale throughout. Nothing done for staff or customers, just continuous budget cuts to save £££. No support for employees, like it of lump it attitude. Continuous redundancies and no job security. Ongoing bad, knee jerk decisions to cut costs. Not a nice environment.

Advice to Management

Senior Leadership team need to get an idea of the bigger picture and a holistic view of what is actually going on within the business. Get an understanding of what staff actually do. Appreciate staff and treat them like people, rather than just another number, they are your biggest asset!

"Only interested in profit, not staff"

I worked at Avios full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good travel perks and BA standby flights

Honest and open CEO

Cons

Too many meetings so you don't get a chance to actually do your work. Lack of communication between departments - some departments seem to have their own goals so collaboration is poor. Lack of progression. Company is only interested in making profit with little or no interest in its people.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate regarding information sent around the business when staff are facing redundancies.