Avis Budget Group Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Avis Budget Group CEO Larry De Shon
Larry De Shon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge at times (in 44 reviews)

• Long hours but you'll find you have pride in doing things from the ground up, hard work lay off but you have to put your time kn (in 72 reviews)

"manager"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people great place to work. There is alot of seniority there, people just don't leave until they retire.

Cons

Merit does not always result in a promotion. Sometimes its not what you know but who you know.

2. "Avis isn’t what it once was."

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free car/gas
    Good PTO
    Time passes quickly when you’re working due to constant business
    Lots of employees with loads of years under their belt so they are great to learn off of.

Cons

Managers have no clue how to run a positive establishment. Too many people who only worry about covering their shift and don’t look at time ahead.
    They will randomly switch up your schedule on a days notice.
    The employees run the show. There is no discipline or any way to properly staff due to extremely high turnover.
    Had I known that this was an adult daycare, I would have NEVER moved here from my previous job.

Advice to Management

Renovate your locations. Get airport managers and higher ups to start caring for the location rather than just themselves and their bonuses.

"Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There weren’t any pros. Other than the people you got to meet.

Cons

Awful work environment. It’s all hierarchy. They act under union rules even though there is no union. You will work harder than anyone else and still get the short end of the stick because of tenure.

Advice to Management

Really evaluate your team.

4. "Poor work life balance with good benefits"

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

As management personnel, having access to a vehicle is a great perk, especially since you don't worry about car tax, maintenance or insurance. You can also fill up your tank at any Avis Budget Group location for free.

Cons

Minimum 10 hour work days and your schedule is all over the place. Many hourly employees are disrespectful towards management and since they are unionized, you have to jump through hoops to terminate them. I would only recommend to a friend if they were in a horrible position at their current place of employment or if they did not have a job and needed one asap.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the union, there is no benefit. If anything, it makes running the operation much more difficult than it needs to be. Be more up front about the working hours during the interview process. I was under the impression that it was a traditional 40 hour work week with some weekends.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Use of company vehicle. Decent benefits. Staff are great to work with. Opportunities to promote. Can easily transfer and move around the country.

Cons

12 hour work days. Bad turnover rates. Pay below average and bonuses unattainable. Company overpromises and underdelivers. Technology is outdated.

Advice to Management

Reduce number of part timers. Stop overpromising to every new account. Invest in technology that works.

"Competitive pay and good benefits but that's really it from my experience."

Former Employee - Inventory Manager in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Inventory Manager in Ashburn, VA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Pay
    - Benefits
    - Plenty of advancement opportunities

Cons

- Company culture: Teamwork is non-existent here. Everything is gloom and doom even when things are going well. Upper Management does not care about improving processes and making things more efficient.

Upper Management: Out of touch with what the real issues are and never actually develops action plans that fix problems. They would rather treat the symptoms than get to the root of the problem. They give you pointless tasks that need to be completed immediately even when it's busy, yet complain when your original tasks are not completed,

- High turnover: Was understaffed while I was there and had us doing the work of 2 or 3 people. They constantly lied and told us they were hiring people but month after month nothing changed. How can you be in a hiring freeze when your understaffed and peak season is approaching? Made no sense but they constantly told us they were hiring people only to come back and say they were in a hiring freeze.

- Work life balance: Being an operations center they are open everyday outside of New Years Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. This would not be a problem if they were staffed fully but becomes one when they have you working 48-56 hours a week and no overtime.

- Our desktops were 10+ years old and it showed. I had used those same models when I was in high school several years prior.

Advice to Management

- Encourage and value employees' input
    - Do more to show you appreciate the hard work your employees' do
    - Be committed to change

"Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Manager in San Juan, PR

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers ok. Company car

Cons

Expect to work and never feel appreciated! No life balance

Advice to Management

People matter! Employees matter! Tenure matter! Ask the employees what you want to know they will never answer the surveys honestly. Visit!

"Horrible benefits and management"

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

you can be your own boss

Cons

no benefits
    never enough cars
    the "higher-ups" don't care about you and they don't hire within in the company

Advice to Management

care about your employees

"Grateful for the experience."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Covington, KY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Covington, KY

I worked at Avis Budget Group (More than 3 years)

Pros

The car is a huge perk... the experience prepares you to handle a multitude of difficult situations.

Cons

Virtually no support from the company itself. Poorly ran strategically.

"Downward trend"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a manager, you get a new car with gas, insurance and all maintenance included. The people you work with can be great and it's a close-knit environment. You always get 2 days off a week.

Cons

Working hours are ridiculous. The expected minimum for a manager is 10hrs per day, but it's usually more than that. You will work every single holiday and weekend as well. If there's a snow storm, you're going to send your employees home, but you will be at the store, even if you have little to no reservations. You do not get competitive pay and if you want to advance, be ready to move across the country.

Advice to Management

You can't have any advice for the management when the management values its stock prices more than it values its customers and employees. ABG markets itself as a caring company and it used to be, a decade ago. Today, it only cares about price per share. Customers are treated like crap and managers only exist to be beaten by customers, who are treated like crap by the corporation.