Avis Budget Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Larry De Shon

1,290 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance is a challenge at times (in 42 reviews)

• Airport locations open long hours so new employees work graveyard shifts (in 69 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Shuttle Drive in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Lead Shuttle Drive in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Avis/Budget is a very nice and easy company to work for and I find the work to be fulfilling. I have good people as co-workers.

Cons

Some managers tend to micro mange and not trust your personnel to do it right.

Advice to Management

Trust your lead employees to do the job in an excellent manner. Avoid micro managing and make your instructions concise and clear. then just relax and know it will be accomplished.

2. "shuttler"

Current Employee - Shuttler in McAllen, TX
    Current Employee - Shuttler in McAllen, TX

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

meet different people. drive nice cars. see some celebrities when they fly in.

Cons

hot and cold at the service center

3. "Challenging and fast pace"

Current Employee - Operations Manager Trainee in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Operations Manager Trainee in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Free use of a car, insurance and gas. Lots of proper training. Advancement opportunities. Great people to work with.

Cons

Difficult work life balance. Fleet can be better managed in order to meet daily reservations and maintain a good or high level of customer service.

Advice to Management

Needs more rental agents and service agents to handle large volume of rentals. Needs to streamline excessive reservations to allow front line agents to perform non-reservation rentals.

4. "Customer Service Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Returns: Fast paced environment so your day will go by quick, you earn rewards if you give great customer service, there is a booth with access to A/C and water jug outside to keep you hydrated. Also you get to move around all kinds of vehicles.
    Preferred: Climate controlled, you have slow and busy times to assign cars into the system and as long as you are quick on the computer your day will go by smoothly
    Exit Gate: Temperature controlled booth, more time to yourself, you set the pace for how quickly or slowly rental cars come through the gate.
    Training: Take advantage of learning everything on the computer and do all of the exercises in the training book. Go out to the counter and work with a salesperson and learn what everything means and how to rent a car. You will be more better off and well prepared for the customer service position and it will help you if you want to be in sales.

Cons

Returns: Handheld devices and printers were unreliable, filling out accident reports takes time, working by yourself on a busy day, when customers contest fuel levels and deciding whether you have the time to resolve their billing issues or send them to the booth/counter
    Preferred: There are days when they are oversold on vehicles and this causes a lot of stress, also the weather and flight delays are also stressful, the system can go offline so sometimes you have to use the paper forms. You should also learn how to do a mini lease and paper rental form from the front counter while you are training.
    Exit Gate: handheld devices unreliable, long lines, people renting under expired licenses, people wanting expensive vehicles for the same rate, gate not working during bad weather, and you really should have a person you can depend on to cover your lunch or bathroom breaks.

Advice to Management

Update the handhelds and printers if you haven't done so already, add more people to the exit gate and returns on the night shift.

5. "How I like the job"

Current Employee - RSA in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - RSA in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This has been a job I have always wanted to work in my adult years. It seemed very fun.. and I must admit it is fun and I am having the time of my life!

Cons

Make sure trainers are on 1 accord

"RSA"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ability to make better money with commission. Good benefits. Nice people to work with

Cons

Computers and printers that don't work. No air conditioning. Selfish employees. Poor ability to get and calll for cars. Lousy working conditions.

Advice to Management

Fix the printers and computers!!!! Staff up properly and scedule enough on weekend's. Stop playing favorites and giving half the staff off on weekend's. Learn how to write a schedule. Listen to your staff.

7. "Customer service rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hourly plus commission
    Coworkers are like family
    Competitive pay for entry level

Cons

High turnover
    Seniority based
    No room to grow within company unless a manager leaves or state relocation
    Lots of micromanagement
    Value and culture of the company has changed significantly and negatively since new CEO

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to and show concern for the wellbeing of your employees, especially loyal employees that have been with the company for years.

8. "Working at the Romper Room"

Current Employee - CSR2 in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - CSR2 in Orlando, FL

Pros

Benefits, working with coworkers who have you're back.

Cons

Some management does a great job. Sime of them are relatively new and do a good job. Other managers are so hard to get a hold of its like finding Jimi Hoffa. Many times they will not get back to you. Some give vauge answers so they don't have to answer to anything. Some talk down to you. Many don't take anyone seriously. Some think they are so above everyone else . Just because they have a management title. Many regular workers have more work experience and knowledge than some of the people they hire as managers who received their degree in making bubblegum, and have a pretty face. The scheduling is out of control and barely legal. Forget about sleeping.

Advice to Management

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. Don't take you're personal opinions out on others. Learn to be respectful but neutral. This is not highschool, or social hour it's called work. Need I go on?

9. "Run away from this place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. I can literally think of nothing good to say.

Cons

I don't treat their employees very well. They give you a hard time when you try to use your vacation time. They're understaffed and won't hire anyone because they would prefer to make you do the work of 3 people instead. I have literally told my friends and family that are looking for jobs not to apply for this place

"Good company. Tough margins."

Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salaries are decent. Benefit options are rather good. Extremely hard working senior leadership team with good strategic vision. Opportunity for relocations in Operations.

Cons

Work life balance is a challenge at times. Often asked to take on a lot of work when coworkers leave and are not replaced. Opportunities for advancement are rare in some departments.

Advice to Management

Staff is stretched too thin in many departments.

Showing 1,290 of 1,326 reviews