Avis Budget Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Avis Budget Group CEO Larry De Shon
Larry De Shon

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is hardly manageable due to overtimes (in 36 reviews)

• Long hours - airports almost never shut down (in 65 reviews)

1. "OK place to work, No advancement opportunites, wouldn't stay here long term"

Current Employee - Agent in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Agent in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

learn about new car features, coworkers are helpful

Cons

no advancement opportunities, no work/life balance, work scheduling issues, not compensated appropriately for demands, late night and over night hours

Advice to Management

Best manager I've had was at this location, Will Collins.

"I'd rather flip burgers"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commission, there's no cap on how much you can make.
    Get to meet people from all over the world.
    Nothing else

Cons

Management attack employees
    Always put the customers before their staff
    Annoying about upsells
    Management shows favoritism to some employees
    Highly unorganized

Advice to Management

Be careful who you hire

"Poor management"

Current Employee - Bus Driver in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Bus Driver in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Don't have to clock out for breaks or lunches.

Cons

People are really negative, and management will only give to blank look. As if they are program not to say a word. On the other hand you can do what ever you want and not get fired.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about tour bonuses and start caring more about customer service and act human.

"Sales"

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

One of the leaders in it's industry. It's essentially an oligopoly. Great work life balance. Great benefits with access to company vehicles.

Cons

Capped commission structure. Internal politics and red tape. Does not necessarily give recognition when recognition is due.

Advice to Management

Promote top performers and help them grow in the company. Encourage ethical practices.

"STAY AWAY from Avis Budget!!!"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits package including health care and 401k. Union membership after 6 months. Some good managers and co workers.

Cons

Where do I start? This is a job where you are penalized for not selling to every customer. What do I mean by that? In order to gain credit for commission, you have to sell to a certain amount of customers. If you don't, your commission tier drops, and you could do $100 grand in sales for the month and still walk with nothing!! In order to sell, you need cars to upgrade customers into. For the past 6 months, there are barely enough vehicles to get through a regular shift, therefore, the company has taken away our ability to earn commission. Instead of paying you a flat rate on what you sold, AND KEEPING IT, the company has this insane Revenue Per Day structure which I have never seen in any type of sales jobs and you just watch as your commission drops day by day. This place is UNDERSTAFFED! That means you have to take more rentals with no cars and make no commission! The only chance you might have is selling insurance.

Managers do the best that they can and are always helpful. They are in the same boat as the agents. It kind of wears on you after some time. Getting yelled at by customers because they have prepaid for a specific car class in advance, only to tell them we don't have it. This company seems to lack in basic inventory management. If you don't have it, don't sell it. There are times when we don't have enough vehicles for customers with reservations, and watch as new customers hop into line, book a reservation on their phone, and we have no way of shutting down our website or third party sites to deal with this.

There are agents here who make 6 figures. All they are doing is manipulating the system and committing commission fraud. The company has taken no action to punish these employees, and it seems they encourage it. It's all about the bottom line. You have to call for almost every car you need from the garage, then they have to prep it and bring it up. Usually cars should be ready to go and in the system. Not here. Most of the times we have to wander the garage and hope we find a vehicle. The employees here see the customers and the company as their enemy. If a customer does not buy, we loose money, literally. This place has become an utter joke. Some co workers just disappear off the counter so they don't have to take customers and watch their commission dwindle, or they treat the customers like outright garbage. Upper management could care less. You can basically do whatever you want, and there are no consequences. I have seen some co workers just outright lie to customers and scam them. Hard ethical workers are not valued by this company.

This location also has shift bids. I've been here for a few years now, and have not been able to get a decent shift. There are no new hires, so you are stuck in limbo. No room for advancement. The company talks a good talk about working with what you have. In this case, not much or at sometimes nothing to work with. Computer systems are primitive. Every month they go down for updates. These last about 5 to 6 hours and you have to do everything by hand. Some of the lazier agents don't even fill out the paperwork properly which just makes someone else's job harder. This company has some serious issues. There have been layoffs in the garage, managers quitting, not enough cars for clients. If I did not have a child, I would have walked out of here a while ago but I am actively searching for new employment. Hourly pay is a little over minimum wage with benefits, but you get shafted in regards to their commission setup.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your commission structure. If you don't give us the tools we need to sell, then don't penalize us for the company's shortcomings. Fire the agents who continuously commit commission fraud so the honest person does not feel they have to work in a borderline criminal with no ethics environment. Rotate shifts!!! If people work for this company for years and can,t get a decent shift, you WILL LOSE THEM!! But management already knows all of this since I, and many other employees have brought this up and all we get is a shrug. Don't run specials on vehicles that we DON'T have!! Make sure customers are GUARANTEED their vehicles. I doubt anything will change here as employees who have been here for decades tell me it's the same old story. The only reason they stick around is because they have a high hourly wage and pension package grandfathered in. This place make me ill every time I have to clock in for work...

"CSR"

Pros

Easy job, get network a lot with all kinds of people

Cons

No communication
    Horrible pay
    Management doesnt care about employees just sales and coverage
    No organization
    Too many cliques

"avis/budget/zipcar/payless"

Current Employee - Lube Technician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Lube Technician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

Great union and benefits with amazing people working there.

Cons

senority sucks! but managers never know what they want done nor are they well organized and have outdated equipment

Advice to Management

get your stuff together and keep your employees happy

"Avisbudget Group company review"

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has good medical benefits

Cons

The company does not care about it's employees, only the bottom line at all costs.

10. "Work station"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Washington, DC

I have been working at Avis Budget Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

I wanted to work for a rental car company for a long time but this one is ok sometime when I started working here they had rental cars for employees up 7 years now it's 10 years now that to long for some of use I like it to go back to 7years if they could that was back in 2011 then I think everybody should get paid to Cary the radio anytime they have to work

Cons

The pay sucks half the time we at Union station don't have the supply's we need I don't know if the budget or not the company ack like they don't care

Advice to Management

Well the manager is doing what he suppose to do but Sunday an Monday was the worst days ever an we should have a manager on duty Sunday nights till 10pm

"Don't make this a permanent career"

Current Employee - Rental Agent
    Current Employee - Rental Agent

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

The pay ($11.75/hour plus commission), on average I make an additional $600/month in commission alone selling coverages, accessories and upgrading guests to bigger vehicles, My schedule, I work a set 5 days a week 2:30pm-close, I have someone with me until about 5pm then I'm alone for the rest of the night which leaves me tons of opportunity for walkups (which is how we make money at my location)

Cons

No actual Payless manager to turn to when situations get ugly as they very frequently do (former manager suddenly quit a couple months before I started working here so its been over 8 months at my location with nobody really in charge), Unprofessional coworkers, at my location there are only a few of us, my coworkers take this job as a complete joke, constantly calling out, renting cars to friends and family giving them low rates, coming in hung over and sleeping it off in vehicles while on the clock. ABG managers are supposed to be monitoring us but we are like the red-headed step child of the ABG family and most managers don't even bother to interact with us let alone manage us. Our fleet sucks, we are given all the smoked in, stained seat vehicles from ABG and expected to upsell guests into them by our sales manager who lives over 1400 miles away and visits annually. Overall this job is a joke, we took 3 online training courses to prepare us to transition to glitchy GUI then one day TSD was done and we were just thrown into GUI. Working at a location like mine forces you to do things the unethical way, for example when a nicer vehicle does return Smokey and we need an upsell car, we keep a can of fabreeze handy, spray the car completely and let it sit with the heat on and windows rolled up for a couple hours, said vehicle is then parked on the readyline and used for an upsell, by the time the stench returns its usually the next day and when a customer calls to exchange they are told a manager has to approve it and will get back to them, their phone number is written down in our do not answer book and ignored until they come to return and the unlucky person who closes them out unfortunately has to endure the guest's justified complaints and screaming while telling the guest it's policy and because they signed for the upgrade it cannot be removed. Stuff like that is just the tip of the iceberg at my location. If we had an actual manager to ensure we had fleet these types of things wouldn't be happening.

Advice to Management

Because we essentially manage ourselves at my location, I will use this section to give advice to anyone seeking a job with this company: Read as many customer reviews on yelp, google, bbb etc. for the location you are interested in working at before accepting a position there. Make sure you aren't the type of person that gets offended easily, you will get yelled at and you can't take it personally or it will affect your ability to make money. My review is based purely on my location so do not expect each location to be poorly self-managed like mine is. My last bit of advice to anyone seeking a position at a Payless Car Rental location...use this as a stepping stone position, do not make this a permanent career. Whether it be something you do while you are working on a degree or something you use to gain experience in the field, do not make this gig permanent!

Showing 90 of 1,199 reviews