Avis Budget Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Avis Budget Group CEO Larry De Shon
Larry De Shon

1,219 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is hardly manageable due to overtimes (in 37 reviews)

• Airport locations open long hours so new employees work graveyard shifts (in 65 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

I used to work for Avis Budget Group and had to resign due to personal reasons. I reapplied and they accepted me back. I hope to now retire form Avis Budget Group!! I have worked for Enterprise and interviewed with other competitors but, Avis is the best!! The culture and the family are like family! I know that Avis Budget Group will become #1 and I'm glad to be apart and I want to help Avis Budget Group get there!!!

Cons

I have no Cons to mention at this time.

"Good for a paycheck, not much else"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

It gave me a paycheck.
    Coworkers and supervisors looked out for each other, as long as it had nothing to do with comission.

Cons

Management doesn't care about what you are doing unless a customer complains, at which point they will always take the customer's side. There is no backup from management.
    New hires rarely lasted more than a week and the location was understaffed as long as I worked there. This meant that vacations were rare, and management had to allow that vacation days be rolled over to the first part of the next year because we couldn't take our vacation time before the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Respect your employees.

"Don' t invest your time."

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Fort Walton Beach, FL

Pros

I received a paycheck. Medical and Dental benefits available. Company provides uniforms, shirts and pants after 30 days of employment.

Cons

Position is a sales job so they cram their techniques down your throat and you are then supposed to badger the customer. The company goes by the seniority policy sometimes those people put the blame on you. I also noticed as long as your sales are high management will overlook your wrongs but if you are low you will get it. There is little room for growth or moving up. Scheduling is unstable, we are told our schedule is set but then management will change it with out us knowing, this isn't good if you have to arrange child care.

Advice to Management

I think you take the views of the employees in contact with the customer in to consideration. If the are happy the are more likely to capitalize on every sale that comes their way. Rental agents shouldn't look like robots when selling to customers, all the customers in line know what to expect and know they aren't getting personalized service. Think about how you select your management team. Managers should be selected because of qualifications and willingness to drive and motivate others not because of seniority.

"A Joke"

Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

company car and vacations (when you can take them, that is)

Cons

It's a threatening environment, you are constantly threatened with your job.

"If you are smart, stay away....."

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Shift Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Very good experience... learned more here in 2 years than 4 yrs of college

Cons

Work 10-12 hr shifts all different shifts
    Work Friday 3p-1a and back Saturday morning 5a-3p. 4 hours between two 10 hour shifts.

"A nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good benefits
    Uniforms were very good
    Ability of make commission if you are on the rental counter
    Nice vehicles for customers

Cons

Poor leadership
    Heavy Micro-management
    Upper management clueless
    Dont care attitude
    No accountbaility for regional and upper management, they never fail just the mnagers in the operation

Advice to Management

Operations people are not the complete problem. look at your HR group and regional managers. People quit people first they quit companies second.

"Ok if you like sales"

Current Employee - RSA in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - RSA in Austin, TX

Pros

Good money if you can put up with the Customer and coworkers

Cons

Long hours with little recognition

Advice to Management

Communicate

"Some Questionable Business Practices"

Current Employee - Claims Examiner II in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner II in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Work/Personal time balance

Cons

There are instances where management will display unethical behavior involving fabricating information and using electronic claims file notes as a vehicle to do so. Not all managers mind you. 99% of them are above board and great to work with but there are some who fly below the radar and get away with it. salaries are well below industry standards and several employees I worked with had to get second jobs to stay afloat. Granted having a job in todays economy is a blessing but to be a middle aged guy and having to look for a second job is a bit ridiculous!

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at your managers to ensure they are conducting themselves in an appropriate manner. It's a poor reflection on the company on the whole when managers are being unethical

"Good money horrible managers."

Former Employee - PSR in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - PSR in Dallas, TX

Pros

good money,get to drive alot of different cool cars,

Cons

Horrible horrible managers, from the airport manager to the avis managers. They never have your back in front of customers, they talk trash behind your back, they will lie to make you do whatever they want. HOt weather and cold weather stinks

Advice to Management

listen to your employees more, you guys dont know everything, stop acting like yall know everything and you guys are the coolest people ever.

"Will they ever learn?"

Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Mangement gets a car and they have fairly decent benefits. Their rental fleet tends to be the best in the car rental community.

Cons

Take a look at the number of management jobs posted throughout the nation for this company. I think that is very telling about the lower management program. You can expect to work a ton of hours and be threatened with your job constantly. The decisions made by City Mangement and higher are abhorrent. Best of luck if you decide to work here.

Advice to Management

Please view the numbers (from which you make ridiculous decisions) as people...not just numbers that affect your bottom line and bonuses. The small people are the ones who work tirelessly to make your financial lives better.

Showing 1,219 of 1,253 reviews