Avis Budget Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Avis Budget Group Reviews

Updated May 23, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is hardly manageable due to overtimes (in 37 reviews)

• Airport locations open long hours so new employees work graveyard shifts (in 66 reviews)

"Drive to increase Stock Price"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

One of the best Car Rental Companies of the last 30 yrs. Decent benefits, avg pay.

Cons

Senior Management focused on Share price. They are driven to hit EBIDTA without regard of their employees well being.

Advice to Management

Find value in your workforce.

"Want to be a robot?"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base plus commission, working the preferred booth

Cons

Scripts, Managers hover over you to make sure you are reading the script verbatim

Advice to Management

Let employees approach a customer in a personable way and you'll get better sales

3. "Work station"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Washington, DC

I have been working at Avis Budget Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

I wanted to work for a rental car company for a long time but this one is ok sometime when I started working here they had rental cars for employees up 7 years now it's 10 years now that to long for some of use I like it to go back to 7years if they could that was back in 2011 then I think everybody should get paid to Cary the radio anytime they have to work

Cons

The pay sucks half the time we at Union station don't have the supply's we need I don't know if the budget or not the company ack like they don't care

Advice to Management

Well the manager is doing what he suppose to do but Sunday an Monday was the worst days ever an we should have a manager on duty Sunday nights till 10pm

5. "Pay more for all the work employees do"

Current Employee - Quality Control Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Quality Control Agent in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Great people you work with, seniority based makes things fair

Cons

Work the employees hard and don't pay for the amount of work, mandated at times, and shift bids and favoritism

Advice to Management

Pay employees more, then that raise we get every October, acknowledged the employees for the hard work that gets done

""Marketing" Dept = Politics and Layoffs"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun activities every now and then. Good work/life balance. Good benefits.

Cons

Consider this a warning: The marketing dept goes through layoffs every year and as invested as they sound in your role, if you're not in the "in crowd" you will be let go. No one in the dept understands how the leadership was put in place. It left us feeling that we needed to lie and steal to be successful. Projects take years (thats with an "s) to complete. It's a blackhole. It should be your last resort when deciding on a new role in marketing.

Advice to Management

They probably don't know this site exists to be able to take the advice they need.

"Roller Coaster"

Current Employee - Airport Operations Manager in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Airport Operations Manager in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interacting with customers from various backgrounds and geographic settings. The employees and local management are hard working individuals; the lack of support is almost purposeful.

Cons

The politics of the business and upper management. Expectations are high, however there is very little support offered. We are always out of cars during mid week peak which causes extremely high customer and employee stress every week.

Advice to Management

Transparency is a major concern within the organization.

"Meh"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in West Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in West Pensacola, FL

Pros

Good benefits package, steady work, and salary. They do give you good training IF your management bothers to train you.

Cons

High employee turnover, not the commission promised. I was thrown onto the counter barely a week into my training and left alone to close or work Saturdays in an airport by myself. Management would not address problems presented. The reward for doing well at your job is doing your job and someone else's.

Advice to Management

Corporate is extremely out of touch with what is happening out on the floor. Making more vehicles available for upselling would help with commission.

"So-So"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They offer decent benefits and match 401K up to 6%. Once a year, they do on-sight diagnostic health screenings, and if you participate, you get a kickback on your health insurance premiums. At the headquarters, we have some nice events at different points in the year which can foster a family atmosphere.

Cons

Corporate employees are grossly underpaid for their work. What is worse is that especially at the World Headquarters in New Jersey, you have people living in a very expensive area compared to the rest of the country, and yet, their salaries are below the national average for any given position by as much as 25%. Also, they wait very long (until March) to hand out the annual bonuses.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to consider paying their corporate employees fairly for their work. They are getting robbed. They also do not make it any better by delaying bonus payments until March and should take care of that in January like every other company.

"Good Old Boys Club"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Flushing, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Flushing, NY

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free company car with gas and insurance covered anywhere in the US/Canada with corporate locations. Good time off policy if your manager allows you to take advantage of it.

Cons

Where to begin? The company's North East Area operations are riddled with old school managers at the district and regional level that do nothing but cover each other's back. Human resources is a joke, you cannot come to them with any issue because they are best friends with district managers and racism in the company is blatant.

Advice to Management

Actually empower your new operations manager that you just spent a fortune to train in your archaic systems to effect change at the locations. Get rid of your dinosaur district managers that are doing nothing but holding your company back.

"director"

Current Employee - Director in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

coworkers are wonderful and have pride in working for company

Cons

management is changing doesn't care for employees anymore

Showing 212 of 1,279 reviews