Avis Budget Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Avis Budget Group Reviews

Updated March 17, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is hardly manageable due to overtimes (in 36 reviews)

• Airport locations open long hours so new employees work graveyard shifts (in 65 reviews)

1. "Rental Agent"

Former Employee - Lead Rental Agent/Executive Response Coordinator in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Avis Budget Group (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the bonus structure based on sales.

Cons

Lots of nepotism and too many family members causing issues.

Advice to Management

Better review of all locations

"Subrogation Specialist"

I worked at Avis Budget Group part-time

Pros

Laid back work environment

Cons

Supervisor created a hostile work environment..very racist to minorities and demeaning in nature

Advice to Management

Listen to what other employees have to say

3. "Surprisingly Disorganized"

Former Employee - Vehicle Return Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Former Employee - Vehicle Return Associate in Norfolk, VA

I worked at Avis Budget Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for not very difficult work.

Cons

Disorganized and unprofessional. Training was a confusing process and there was not much help from managers. There was a "it's not my job" mentality.

"avis/budget/zipcar/payless"

Current Employee - Lube Technician in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Lube Technician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

Great union and benefits with amazing people working there.

Cons

senority sucks! but managers never know what they want done nor are they well organized and have outdated equipment

Advice to Management

get your stuff together and keep your employees happy

6. "Supply Chain Manager"

Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Supply Chain Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Benefits, awesome people to work with. Great for people looking for their first manager job. Company car, cell phone etc....If your really lucky you might get a laptop and credit card.

Cons

Really long hours like more than 65 a week. No work life balance at all. Leaving at the tenth hour is perceived as leaving early. Pay was not great but ok.

Advice to Management

Listen to low managers on the floor. Welcome the fresh pair of eyes concept. When boarding new management ensure everything is set up and prepared. First Impression goes both ways.

"Avisbudget Group company review"

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has good medical benefits

Cons

The company does not care about it's employees, only the bottom line at all costs.

"Drive to increase Stock Price"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

One of the best Car Rental Companies of the last 30 yrs. Decent benefits, avg pay.

Cons

Senior Management focused on Share price. They are driven to hit EBIDTA without regard of their employees well being.

Advice to Management

Find value in your workforce.

"Want to be a robot?"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base plus commission, working the preferred booth

Cons

Scripts, Managers hover over you to make sure you are reading the script verbatim

Advice to Management

Let employees approach a customer in a personable way and you'll get better sales

10. "Work station"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Washington, DC

I have been working at Avis Budget Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

I wanted to work for a rental car company for a long time but this one is ok sometime when I started working here they had rental cars for employees up 7 years now it's 10 years now that to long for some of use I like it to go back to 7years if they could that was back in 2011 then I think everybody should get paid to Cary the radio anytime they have to work

Cons

The pay sucks half the time we at Union station don't have the supply's we need I don't know if the budget or not the company ack like they don't care

Advice to Management

Well the manager is doing what he suppose to do but Sunday an Monday was the worst days ever an we should have a manager on duty Sunday nights till 10pm

"Don't make this a permanent career"

Current Employee - Rental Agent
    Current Employee - Rental Agent

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

The pay ($11.75/hour plus commission), on average I make an additional $600/month in commission alone selling coverages, accessories and upgrading guests to bigger vehicles, My schedule, I work a set 5 days a week 2:30pm-close, I have someone with me until about 5pm then I'm alone for the rest of the night which leaves me tons of opportunity for walkups (which is how we make money at my location)

Cons

No actual Payless manager to turn to when situations get ugly as they very frequently do (former manager suddenly quit a couple months before I started working here so its been over 8 months at my location with nobody really in charge), Unprofessional coworkers, at my location there are only a few of us, my coworkers take this job as a complete joke, constantly calling out, renting cars to friends and family giving them low rates, coming in hung over and sleeping it off in vehicles while on the clock. ABG managers are supposed to be monitoring us but we are like the red-headed step child of the ABG family and most managers don't even bother to interact with us let alone manage us. Our fleet sucks, we are given all the smoked in, stained seat vehicles from ABG and expected to upsell guests into them by our sales manager who lives over 1400 miles away and visits annually. Overall this job is a joke, we took 3 online training courses to prepare us to transition to glitchy GUI then one day TSD was done and we were just thrown into GUI. Working at a location like mine forces you to do things the unethical way, for example when a nicer vehicle does return Smokey and we need an upsell car, we keep a can of fabreeze handy, spray the car completely and let it sit with the heat on and windows rolled up for a couple hours, said vehicle is then parked on the readyline and used for an upsell, by the time the stench returns its usually the next day and when a customer calls to exchange they are told a manager has to approve it and will get back to them, their phone number is written down in our do not answer book and ignored until they come to return and the unlucky person who closes them out unfortunately has to endure the guest's justified complaints and screaming while telling the guest it's policy and because they signed for the upgrade it cannot be removed. Stuff like that is just the tip of the iceberg at my location. If we had an actual manager to ensure we had fleet these types of things wouldn't be happening.

Advice to Management

Because we essentially manage ourselves at my location, I will use this section to give advice to anyone seeking a job with this company: Read as many customer reviews on yelp, google, bbb etc. for the location you are interested in working at before accepting a position there. Make sure you aren't the type of person that gets offended easily, you will get yelled at and you can't take it personally or it will affect your ability to make money. My review is based purely on my location so do not expect each location to be poorly self-managed like mine is. My last bit of advice to anyone seeking a position at a Payless Car Rental location...use this as a stepping stone position, do not make this a permanent career. Whether it be something you do while you are working on a degree or something you use to gain experience in the field, do not make this gig permanent!

Showing 203 of 1,234 reviews