Avis Budget Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Avis Budget Group Reviews

Updated April 12, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is hardly manageable due to overtimes (in 37 reviews)

• Airport locations open long hours so new employees work graveyard shifts (in 65 reviews)

"Great Company Bad location"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Allentown, PA
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Allentown, PA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

~great benefits
    ~company seems nice

Cons

~terrible management
    ~no room to grow
    ~pays not that good
    ~unless you've worked there for 20 plus year they will not try to change your schedule

Advice to Management

Need to be more organized, take in consideration of the feelings newer employer

"Director CRM & Loyalty"

Former Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Director in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None I can think of. Salary was at market. Benefits the usual thing.

Cons

No Marketing Leadership. Marketing leadership was only concerned about keeping itself "safe". Strategy changed daily. I didn't know the car rental business -- It's all they say about it, ruthless. And, the people were not trustworthy.

Advice to Management

Nothing will change the culture. It's built into the bones.

"Rental Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you can sell and work a lot of overtime you can potentially make decent money. Union Job. Benefits. If you are good, you can climb the corporate ladder. Our district manager and senior airport manager both started with entry level jobs.

Cons

Working an entry level customer service job in the rental car industry is brutal. You have to have thick skin. Customers will constantly berate you. To the company you are just a number and you are only as good as your sales. The payout tiers are bogus. Unlike most sales jobs, your commission is penalized when you don't make a sale. There is a high turnaround with management (At least at the san jose location). Because of this ,often times a veteran sales agent is way more knowledgeable than the managers hired to lead and guide them. I use the term manager loosely as they don't have a lot of power. They are more like supervisors. A good sales agent will take home more money than a manager. When you first start you will be stuck on the night shift and will have random days off. You will also work every single holiday. Say goodbye to any social life. I know people who have been with the company 15 years who still don't have weekends off. The "employee discount" is pretty much whatever the nicest manager wants to charge you. Often times you can find cheaper rates on priceline or costco! And lastly choose your battles wisely because the sales agent will usually lose. Management will always take the customer's side. And even internally. If you have a disagreement with a manager, the manager usually wins.

Advice to Management

If you are incompetent, please realize this and don't make your employees lives miserable. Understand that even though you are higher up on the corporate scale, you are working with other human beings who deserve to be treated with respect. Recognize your most talented sales agents and reward them accordingly.

"Ok"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Bay City, MI
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Bay City, MI

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work at your own pace

Cons

Bad equipment terrible conditions

"Don't work here if you want to be treated like a person."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Parsippany, NJ

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are generous - 401K, summer Friday's, PTO. All are good.

Cons

The company forces out their most tenured employees. They have little care fork ur individual well being. They lack empathy and it reflects through the company culture. All that matters is hitting their EBITDA targets come hell or high water.

"Account Manager"

Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Avis Budget Group (More than a year)

Pros

Great hours. Allows people to have a good work life balance when it comes to account management. Some weekend work required, but that is dependent on clients, not dictated by actual office.

Cons

Poor pay for amount of work. Base pay is low and the percentage for bonus is weak. If they were to compensate small base pay with better bonus it would help.

Advice to Management

Less micro management. Micromanaging causes nothing but stress on the employees and squishes productivity.

"Disorganized, unfortunately..."

Current Employee - Return Agent in Sarasota, FL
    Current Employee - Return Agent in Sarasota, FL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Honestly, the best things are having fantastic coworkers and fairly simple, straight-forward work. Out of season, it's an easy job that anyone could handle.

Cons

Common for any customer service job, we may often have to deal with people who are rude, angry, or manipulative. (To be clear, the next bits may be more about my location and/or bad luck.) We're constantly understaffed and overwhelmed during season. Due to not having enough staff on hand to cover while you are gone, taking breaks for either food or going to the restroom can be frowned upon. Management, both local and district, has changed often enough and is well known for promising improvements that never seem to come, including raises in salary.

Advice to Management

All in the "cons" section.

"It was great until I got wrongfully terminated"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interacting with customers from all over the world
    Tips$$$
    If you like to work near the airport and a fast pace environment than you should apply
    Riding in new model cars daily
    Great coworkers

Cons

Management.....they're not creative in operational task, lack of time management, fail to prepare for high volume of customers, and lack of leadership skills....Damn now your probably reading like, "Every manager is like that?" Well of course not every manager. I've worked with great managers, but like all great managers they either get transferred or fired.

Advice to Management

You can't really give advice management...It's pointless.

"Rental sales associate"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Agent in New Haven, CT

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Get to drive many cars, paid training

Cons

Unfair commission structure, unrealistic expectations , discrimination, and horrible management

Advice to Management

Take discrimination complaints seriously to avoid lawsuit

11. "Promote from within??? Only if you're management, and that's a maybe."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meeting new people, building bonds with fellow employees and customers, car discounts (better discounts than employee discounts when you learn codes), car knowledgeability

Cons

Schedule based on seniority so work nights and horrible choice off days, inconsistent management, lying upper management, work outside even during a polar vortex, favoritism, no room for growth in company if you aren't management (and sometimes there isn't growth there either), miscommunication/under or no communication between management

Advice to Management

To the senior leadership team, when you come to town, like you have been for the last couple of years to say "thank you", find someone who isn't afraid to tell you how it really is for the employees. Your regional, city, and district manners LOVE to put up a facade as if it is such a wonderful, family oriented company, when it is not. I've seen great managers leave due to a horrible work life balance while the district mgr received the promotion off the back of another's work ethic. I've seen great managers promoted then demoted over pettiness and something that they walked into through their promotion. I've seen employees demoted because they refused to be held accountable for a manager's mistake and miscommunication. I've seen an employee offered an internal position, then given a crappy expatiation why they had to take it back from them. I've seen an employee who was fully capable with management qualities held back for 3 yrs because they choose not to take the exact path that the city manager took in order to get promoted. They even already had a college degree, and the same degree as some of the managers hired externally, yet still held back. The management team loves to push on the employees what needs to be improved, and they always try a random idea, but they never fallow through. They also try to hold the employees accountable, when they can't even be accountable for themselves. And when the employees try to present the issues at hand, the upper management continues to turn a blind eye to holding their management teams accountable. ABG will always fall short of being a better company with practices like this and I hope that they someday address it. Otherwise you are going to be stuck with OK employees, employees that have been there so long that they aren't leaving until they retire, great employees who leave and get better jobs who actually pay and treat them according to their worth, or bad untrainable employees who continue to work against what it trying to be accomplished for a pay check.

Showing 210 of 1,253 reviews