Avis Budget Group Reviews | Glassdoor

1,220 reviews

Full-time Part-time

1,220 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work-life balance is hardly manageable due to overtimes (in 37 reviews)

• Airport locations open long hours so new employees work graveyard shifts (in 65 reviews)

"Too Top Heavy!!"

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was OK, but no room to grow.

Cons

Management doesn't think. Employees are not motivated. Upper management DOES NOT care about those under them. Typical big corp, where the employees and customers were sacrificed for corp profits. Lots of petty office chatter and those with title flaunted it.

Advice to Management

Restructure!! Remove multiple levels of management.

2. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Best team ever worked with managers are great, associateso are awesome and helpful

Cons

It gets busy but this makes the time goes by fast
    So I can't say it's bad thing I love it

Avis Budget Group Response

Jan 25, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

We are happy to hear that you enjoy being a part of our company and culture!

3. "It's just for the now"

Current Employee - Service Agent in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Service Agent in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible works hours, easy to call off, it is what you make it so it's not that bad if you consider it just a job for the now

Cons

Pretty much impossible to move up, they want you to do everyone's jobs for the same pay. Managers are just looking for a way to move up and don't care about company

Advice to Management

Think about people other than yourself and remember we all start from somewhere so don't look down on service agents that have to make nothing out of something

"STAY AWAY from Avis Budget!!!"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits package including health care and 401k. Union membership after 6 months. Some good managers and co workers.

Cons

Where do I start? This is a job where you are penalized for not selling to every customer. What do I mean by that? In order to gain credit for commission, you have to sell to a certain amount of customers. If you don't, your commission tier drops, and you could do $100 grand in sales for the month and still walk with nothing!! In order to sell, you need cars to upgrade customers into. For the past 6 months, there are barely enough vehicles to get through a regular shift, therefore, the company has taken away our ability to earn commission. Instead of paying you a flat rate on what you sold, AND KEEPING IT, the company has this insane Revenue Per Day structure which I have never seen in any type of sales jobs and you just watch as your commission drops day by day. This place is UNDERSTAFFED! That means you have to take more rentals with no cars and make no commission! The only chance you might have is selling insurance.

Managers do the best that they can and are always helpful. They are in the same boat as the agents. It kind of wears on you after some time. Getting yelled at by customers because they have prepaid for a specific car class in advance, only to tell them we don't have it. This company seems to lack in basic inventory management. If you don't have it, don't sell it. There are times when we don't have enough vehicles for customers with reservations, and watch as new customers hop into line, book a reservation on their phone, and we have no way of shutting down our website or third party sites to deal with this.

There are agents here who make 6 figures. All they are doing is manipulating the system and committing commission fraud. The company has taken no action to punish these employees, and it seems they encourage it. It's all about the bottom line. You have to call for almost every car you need from the garage, then they have to prep it and bring it up. Usually cars should be ready to go and in the system. Not here. Most of the times we have to wander the garage and hope we find a vehicle. The employees here see the customers and the company as their enemy. If a customer does not buy, we loose money, literally. This place has become an utter joke. Some co workers just disappear off the counter so they don't have to take customers and watch their commission dwindle, or they treat the customers like outright garbage. Upper management could care less. You can basically do whatever you want, and there are no consequences. I have seen some co workers just outright lie to customers and scam them. Hard ethical workers are not valued by this company.

This location also has shift bids. I've been here for a few years now, and have not been able to get a decent shift. There are no new hires, so you are stuck in limbo. No room for advancement. The company talks a good talk about working with what you have. In this case, not much or at sometimes nothing to work with. Computer systems are primitive. Every month they go down for updates. These last about 5 to 6 hours and you have to do everything by hand. Some of the lazier agents don't even fill out the paperwork properly which just makes someone else's job harder. This company has some serious issues. There have been layoffs in the garage, managers quitting, not enough cars for clients. If I did not have a child, I would have walked out of here a while ago but I am actively searching for new employment. Hourly pay is a little over minimum wage with benefits, but you get shafted in regards to their commission setup.

Advice to Management

Get rid of your commission structure. If you don't give us the tools we need to sell, then don't penalize us for the company's shortcomings. Fire the agents who continuously commit commission fraud so the honest person does not feel they have to work in a borderline criminal with no ethics environment. Rotate shifts!!! If people work for this company for years and can,t get a decent shift, you WILL LOSE THEM!! But management already knows all of this since I, and many other employees have brought this up and all we get is a shrug. Don't run specials on vehicles that we DON'T have!! Make sure customers are GUARANTEED their vehicles. I doubt anything will change here as employees who have been here for decades tell me it's the same old story. The only reason they stick around is because they have a high hourly wage and pension package grandfathered in. This place make me ill every time I have to clock in for work...

6. "Rental Agent"

Former Employee - Rental Agent in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Rental Agent in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All of the ladies working at the counter are professional and friendly. They know how to do their job and they do it well.

Cons

Through the winter months you won't be able to make much in commissions as things slow down a bit. If you're a student (homework) or want to do some reading there are many ways to make this work for you.

Advice to Management

Keep being the loving family that you are. The management team here really made me feel wanted and at home. They inspired e to do my absolute best in this job with their warm friendly encouragement each day.

"avis budget group"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great benefits and there is opportunity for growth with the company

Cons

operations managers are the most worked and underappreciated. you are required to work 10 hour shifts, your off days are always changing and the Ops bonus structure is terrible compared to the bonuses of upper management and hourly. The position and exposure is great for building a resume. You have so much responsibilities you'll be ready for anything

Advice to Management

have more consideration for your middle management team. better scheduling, fair bonus programs and more appreciation.

8. "I love this job."

Current Employee - RSA in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - RSA in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money!! The benefits and the security at my location

Cons

Not paid for everything I sale!

Advice to Management

Fix CSI

9. "great"

Former Employee - Shuttle Bus Driver in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Shuttle Bus Driver in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Avis Budget Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good company to work for on part time basis

Cons

Required to work week-ends.I cannot work weekends.

Advice to Management

None

10. "Work you to the bone then spit you out!"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Northeast, NY
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Northeast, NY

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The free car (anywhere in North America) Benefits are good.

Cons

No work life balance. They don't care about your life at all. My schedule chronically changed. You work a minimum 50 hrs a week. You get nothing for working longer. It's Avis Budget Group or nothing.Hard work is unnoticed. They run you on a skeleton crew and expect more and more out of you. It all rolls downhill to the operation manager and you ARE NOT allowed to voice your opinion to higher ups. Also the customers are the worst, I am waiting for a serious incident to happen when someone seriously injures a employee. I worked at a large location so I could see it being a little calmer somewhere else. But nonetheless, corporate DOES NOT CARE. You are a constantly replaceable number.

Advice to Management

Your operations managers are the lifeblood, stop treating them like garbage.

Avis Budget Group Response

Jan 25, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time at Avis Budget Group. Your feedback and advice is important to us, as we strive to create the best possible environment for all of our employees ... More

11. "Sign-up Review"

Current Employee - Chairman's Administrative Assistant Desk in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Chairman's Administrative Assistant Desk in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair, Flexible management that cares and listens. Pay is above average for call centers in Tulsa.

Cons

Remember, it is a call center... The inherent trappings of this line of work is no different than any other call center.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management

Showing 1,220 of 1,254 reviews