Aviva Reviews | Glassdoor

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No professionalism amongst senior management team (in 17 reviews)

• The middle management is a joke (in 9 reviews)

1. "Extremely unstructured, I feel that I wasted my summer!"

Current Intern - Software Dev Intern in Des Moines, IA
    Current Intern - Software Dev Intern in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Aviva as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Mentor and manager were great!

Cons

Failing IT department, waterfall development is a fail-- Very unstructured intern program

Advice to Management

Stop playing politics..

2. "Worst recruitment company"

Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer
    Current Freelancer - Anonymous Freelancer

Pros

Nothing is there to be written as pros.

Cons

Sitting only to collect money from candidates .

Don't provide any option for interview.

Don't even know which candidate is suitable for which profile

3. "Not an enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Sales and Service Associate in Galway (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Associate in Galway (Ireland)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some but they can be difficult to see with all the cons

Cons

No clear processes. Depending on who you ask a question there is a different answer, was sold the job on Monday to Friday's but have since been forced to work Saturday's and take a half day during the week so we don't get overtime. Loud, slow equipment also we are expected to arrive 10-15 mins before work so our many slow outdated systems can load up for which we do not get payed even though as part of Irish employment law you must be giving time to setup when you shift starts.

Advice to Management

Get your middle management working together and think about what the terrible wages do to people drive to work to their full ability

4. "lawyer"

I worked at Aviva full-time

Pros

I cannot find anything positive about this place

Cons

Pay is not market and professionals are treated as disposable being

5. "Claims employee"

Former Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Pros

Great teammates.
    Aviva Fund helps the community by giving back.

Cons

Constant change. Little positive feedback. Reviews focus on negative and not the good work you are doing. Too many processes and procedures slow down the work flow. You push paper. Unrealistic demands and workload.

Advice to Management

Stop micro-managing. Trust your employees.

"Sexist, Discriminate, Cruel."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

None, they make out they care, they do not.

Cons

I am not usually one to write a bad review about a company, but I don't want this to happen again. To anyone.
    When I started work here, it was perfect, they had told me how caring and great they were and it seemed so at first.
    Until A) my "manager" decided he did not like me. And B) they decided I was too much hard work with my disability.
    I was taken from on warnings or meetings to outright dismissal, for a load of ridiculous reasons that my team leader had pulled out of thin air.
    I was told the day before I went on holiday, to be fired the day I came back. Absolutely awful.
    The middle management is a joke. My manager didn't even know how to do my job, yet was meant to lead us.
    The team was lead by another colleague who was not meant to and was not paid to.
    I am not the only one mistreated by this manager, who became a manager by accident because the old one left. He was not and is not fit for this role.
    I feel like I have been discriminated against, and treated extremely unfairly.
    I am afraid I CANNOT recommend that anyone works here.
    Even worse if you are female or disabled.

Advice to Management

Sort out your middle management.

7. "Management failure and poor culture!"

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loads of overtime available because of lack of staff and overworking, good rate of pay.

Cons

Lack of training and progression, management are very poor at ensuring team work and communication. High turnover from particular teams suggesting particular managers just don't understand how to work a team. Hot desking and a clean desk policy is a nightmare, the desks are constantly being made smaller for 'increased capacity', more like cattle hearding.

Advice to Management

Avoid favouritism, try to create a non-biased office culture and stay away from hiring friends and family because 90% of the office went to school together which makes others feel like outsiders

"Indifferent to qualifications,experience,ability. Staff cost not asset. females no salary equality or equal opportunity."

Former Employee - Claims Handler in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Claims Handler in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I worked there they paid for your insurance qualifications. Shame they omitted to say they didn't care if you were qualified. Regulators need to inspect a bit more...

Cons

They don't care if you get insurance qualifications. You are a cost to the business not an asset! No final salary, they have robbed customers and staff of the orphan assets that should have ensured endowment mortgages were paid irrespective of economic issues. They have taken all of the assets of the business including the value of the buildings and given this to shareholders . They should return to being a mutual. Bring back endowment mortgages as a mutual society. Or
    RETURN THE ORPHAN ASSET MONEY STOLEN FROM THE ENDOWMENT POLICYHOLDERS TO THE ENDOWMENT POLICYHOLDERS!
    WHERE ARE THE INSURANCE REGULATORS AND WHY HAVE THEY ALLOWED THIS AND OTHER INSURERS TO ROB MORTGAGE ENDOWMENT POLICYHOLDERS! THE GOVERNMENTS ABD ALLEDGED REGULATORS OVER THE YEARS HAVE ALLOWED INSURERS TO ROB THE ORPHAN ASSETS, RENAME THEN INHERITED ASSETS AND KEEP THEM FOR THE FAT CAT IWNETS WHILE THEY TELL NIAVE ENDOWMENT POLICYHOLDERS THAT THERE IS NO MONEY DUE TO ECONOMIC CONDITIONS. ( they hide the orphan assets which actually pay for shortfalls due to economic conditions. Look up the contra preferentum rule- they changed the rules of the policy as they went along.! WHERE ARE THE SO CALLED REGULATORS?!)

Advice to Management

Give back the orphan assets to endowment policyholders, give back the final salary pension, give back training to staff, get back the female employees you pushed out when they had children. Give equal salary and promotion to female. GET OUT

"Underwriter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time

Pros

Working with a lot of people

Cons

Everything is timed to the minute

Advice to Management

Be more people oriented

10. "Some great people...none of whom are managers"

I have been working at Aviva full-time

Pros

There are some really great people who work for Aviva - kind, smart, helpful - who want to work hard and get on.

They've recently made the 20p coffee free.

You won't be bullied

Cons

Where to start...

In Automatic Enrolment area there is a huge lack of focus. Not going to name individuals, but the problem is less the top managers, but the team leaders underneath them. Management propose ideas such as 'systems thinking' where admin monkeys like me are told we can make changes to the way we work....well this never happens.

The team leaders are not equipped to lead, instead they make competent staff underneath them do their work for them.

- Team Leaders are obstructive (there are exceptions to the rule) and your pay and progression depends on brown nosing

THE WORST THING: some employees have a sneaky trick (and this is rife through experienced members of staff), whereby they reduce hours to part time, but then do overtime so that they earn more than full-time staff even though they work less hours.

Advice to Management

- Higher up management - please assess the ability of low-end management. THEY ARE AWFUL.