Aviva Reviews | Glassdoor

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Disappointing"

Former Contractor - Agency Licensing and Contracting Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Aviva as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of my co-workers were great, there was a friendly atmosphere amongst the regular staff, their building is awesome.

Cons

My experience was less than savory. I was a contract employee, and my contract was not renewed. I was given a list of reasons why that did not equate to what I did in my position. It was seen as "overstepping my role" when I tried to make suggestions on how to do the job I was doing more efficiently.

Advice to Management

Don't discount the contract help. I came to Aviva wanting to make a career there, I had heard great things about the company and wanted to experience it myself. My contract was terminated at 8 pm mid-week with no notification or explanation to me whatsoever. I went from optimistic and hopeful about my place at Aviva to bitter and angry about how I was treated at the end of my contract. There was little respect to who I actually was, and the end of my contract was handled in a very passive aggressive manner.

2. "Company Sold to Athene/Global Atlantic"

Pros

Awesome CEO, nice building, on-site cafeteria and gym

Cons

Business was sold and job was eliminated

3. "Aviva, cutting edge and growing fast, but starting to see a downward trend"

Current Employee - Underwriter in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

Growing company
    Cutting edge innovation
    Nice new West Des Moines location

Cons

Reorganized Life New business Department where underwiriter reports to Non-underwriting managers.
    Managers, Directors, VPs making decisions with no prior experience and not aware of potential fall-out.
    Disssatisfaction at most job levels. Individual contributers do not feel like management cares or sees the big picture anymore.
    Managers that are not seen or respected as leaders due to incompetence.
    Commmincation is very poor.
    Shift from quality underwriting decisions that estabilished Aviva as a formatable competitor to widget environment where cranking out underwriting desions is first and quality is last. This is not in the best interst of our customer and will only serve to reverse the strides we have made in the BGA market.

Advice to Management

Re-evaulate insurance operations and strategy to see if it fits with the high level corporate objectives. Aviva became better known due to collaboration from satisfied, happy, respected employees who were proud to be part of a growing, leading edge company. Pay attention to your employee surveys (recommend you not wait until fall to do another one as talented people will not wait that long). Weed out the individuals who are just "managing" but not "leading."

4. "They think they know more than they really do and won't listen to the people they pay who would tell them any different"

Pros

Locations, Easy fluff job, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Too many consultants, no one knows what is going on or why

Advice to Management

Value your fulltime employees

"Not a nice place to work"

Former Employee - Claims in Scarborough, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Claims in Scarborough, ON (Canada)

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the coworkers are excellent. Several locations to work from.

Cons

Employer doesn't treat employees as people. You aren't allowed to have an opinion on anything. On top of that you get no direction and then are blamed for not producing what they are looking for. When you ask what they are looking for, they don't have an answer.

Advice to Management

Vet some of the people in management to ensure they have the personality and the skills for the job.

6. "Claims Handler"

Former Employee - Claims Handler in Galway (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Claims Handler in Galway (Ireland)

I worked at Aviva (More than a year)

Pros

- Flexibility
    - Nice environment
    -Nice people
    -No pressure

Cons

-Poor pay
    -No progression
    -Boring work
    -Same thing every day

Advice to Management

Invest more in employees. Increase pay.

7. "Stressful and not advisable company to join"

Current Employee - Executive in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Executive in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Company as a whole is satisfactory, good luck to candidates in term of which department they join. Believe there will be other good supportive boss in other department. Not all apples are rotten.

Cons

Stressful environment in term of superior and subordinate relationship. Superior’s expectations immaterial to achieve. For new joiner, although no probation but progress review every 2 weeks. They are expecting human relationship to change within 2 weeks. The question they prompted up was ‘why staffs do not approach you’. Human relationship takes time.

Advice to Management

No advice to management as the cons arise from the specific department not company as whole

8. "Technical consultant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of variety and good benifits

Cons

Impersonal management and constant change. Generally need to apply for your job every 18 months to 2 years

9. "average place to work. Stop gap is best way to describe it"

Current Employee - Customer Experience in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Customer Experience in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexitime, paid maternity leave, nice people, nice canteen, good annual bonus, opportunities in the company

Cons

Bad pay , many levels of management with no clear decisions, more chiefs than Indians, old outdated systems, promotion is based on how much your manager likes you, no staff training in place, poor communication, They say a lot but they don't follow through on these, e.g., work life balance is poor for working mothers. parential leave gets denied.

Advice to Management

Strip back some of the layers of managers/ team leaders. A more fair promotion system ( mangers shouldn't be allowed promote in teams without HR involvement.CEO is unaware of problems on the ground

10. "Slow down"

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Good benefits
    Location

Cons

Aviva Canada has been taken over by RSA management over the last couple of years. This has put a strain on employee moral. I found every new leader that came was compelled to make some sort of change without much thought or consideration for its employees. I do not know if it's an ego thing however the company is going in too many directions and work load is unmanageable for its employees. After leaving Aviva for a year now to another insurer the differences in management styles were evident. When I first started at Aviva it felt more like a team /family environment however the last year I spent there I felt more and more disengaged because of all the changes.