Aviva Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson

Pros
Cons
  • No professionalism amongst senior management team (in 17 reviews)

• Lack of encouragement by middle management (in 8 reviews)

1. "Disappointing"

Former Contractor - Agency Licensing and Contracting Specialist in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Aviva as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Many of my co-workers were great, there was a friendly atmosphere amongst the regular staff, their building is awesome.

Cons

My experience was less than savory. I was a contract employee, and my contract was not renewed. I was given a list of reasons why that did not equate to what I did in my position. It was seen as "overstepping my role" when I tried to make suggestions on how to do the job I was doing more efficiently.

Advice to Management

Don't discount the contract help. I came to Aviva wanting to make a career there, I had heard great things about the company and wanted to experience it myself. My contract was terminated at 8 pm mid-week with no notification or explanation to me whatsoever. I went from optimistic and hopeful about my place at Aviva to bitter and angry about how I was treated at the end of my contract. There was little respect to who I actually was, and the end of my contract was handled in a very passive aggressive manner.

2. "Aviva, cutting edge and growing fast, but starting to see a downward trend"

Current Employee - Underwriter in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Underwriter in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

Growing company
    Cutting edge innovation
    Nice new West Des Moines location

Cons

Reorganized Life New business Department where underwiriter reports to Non-underwriting managers.
    Managers, Directors, VPs making decisions with no prior experience and not aware of potential fall-out.
    Disssatisfaction at most job levels. Individual contributers do not feel like management cares or sees the big picture anymore.
    Managers that are not seen or respected as leaders due to incompetence.
    Commmincation is very poor.
    Shift from quality underwriting decisions that estabilished Aviva as a formatable competitor to widget environment where cranking out underwriting desions is first and quality is last. This is not in the best interst of our customer and will only serve to reverse the strides we have made in the BGA market.

Advice to Management

Re-evaulate insurance operations and strategy to see if it fits with the high level corporate objectives. Aviva became better known due to collaboration from satisfied, happy, respected employees who were proud to be part of a growing, leading edge company. Pay attention to your employee surveys (recommend you not wait until fall to do another one as talented people will not wait that long). Weed out the individuals who are just "managing" but not "leading."

3. "Company Sold to Athene/Global Atlantic"

Pros

Awesome CEO, nice building, on-site cafeteria and gym

Cons

Business was sold and job was eliminated

5. "They think they know more than they really do and won't listen to the people they pay who would tell them any different"

Pros

Locations, Easy fluff job, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Too many consultants, no one knows what is going on or why

Advice to Management

Value your fulltime employees

6. "Don't bother!!"

Former Employee - Claims Handler in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Claims Handler in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Aviva part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company packages with Avila. Flexibility in hours if compatible with the business needs, good share options and other pros

Cons

Company not bothered about employees just money I worked for this company for 16 years and was made redundant last year. The senior management not at all bothered about their staff. They let the office that I was in just carry on regardless only bothered about calls queuing and not the work load that staff had to endure causing a lot of stress ,with managers monitoring you if you were off the phone and not asking permission. It was like being back at school!! This has made me rethink working in the insurance industry. Also the redundancy package reduced. It so disappointing!!

Advice to Management

Think more about the people that work for you because without them there is no aviva

7. "Pricing Analyst"

Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pricing Analyst in York, England (UK)

Pros

Not much work, good work/life balance

Cons

Awful team, not cooperative, low salary

8. "Nothing gets done and limited career progression"

Former Employee - London in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - London in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aviva (More than a year)

Pros

Pay high. Positions seem to revolve round talk rather than tangible output.

Cons

Nothing gets done and limited career progression
    Pace is slow and days drag
    A 'meeting' culture

Advice to Management

Restructure, decide on a stragegy and deliver against it

"Some Pros but too many Cons"

I have been working at Aviva full-time

Pros

Large Corporation with good opportunities to develop for those willing to put in the effort. Excellent holiday entitlement and good location outside of London.

Cons

Far too hierarchical, no real focus on the staff or the customer but a lot of false noise to come across as caring for both. Too much of a focus on the bottom line and a significant lack of recognition for good work. Recent Merger with Friends Life handled awfully.

Advice to Management

Don't be so corporate. Sounds silly but there needs to be more focus on the people and the customers. Remove the red tape and work to make people happy, both customers and the staff.

10. "Full-time employee"

Pros

Large corporations like these allow you to move roles fairly easily.

Cons

The topic around politics is very much accurate, but expected (again) in large corporations. Also when such a large quantity of people who work there currently are there just to retire, it can cause a lot of negativity, apathy, and (for whatever reason) a lot of issues with gossiping and bad-mouthing.

11. "They don't care about employees. Avoid if you're IT."

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fair salary, good benefits/pension.

Cons

Clueless, highly political middle managers. Lots of them. Ruthless high level managers. Lots of third party contractors, usually offshore. Projects either don't get delivered or just take forever. Chaotic IT, especially in General Insurance. Frequent changes in strategy and no long term plan as maximum profit in the short term is the name of the game here. No job security, as they have a redundancy cycle every year. I have it straight from the mouth of a "Head" that management does not care about staff. Lately they have been closing excellent sites just to save on rent. If you're in IT and take pride in doing a good job, think twice. A lot of your time will be spent firefighting and dealing with workarounds they put in place when other workarounds fail.

Advice to Management

Mark Wilson has closed down top rated sites just to save rent money and was given a huge bonus by the shareholders. What incentive does he have to listen to advice?