Aviva Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No professionalism amongst senior management team (in 17 reviews)

• The middle management is a joke (in 9 reviews)

1. "Slow down"

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great coworkers
    Good benefits
    Location

Cons

Aviva Canada has been taken over by RSA management over the last couple of years. This has put a strain on employee moral. I found every new leader that came was compelled to make some sort of change without much thought or consideration for its employees. I do not know if it's an ego thing however the company is going in too many directions and work load is unmanageable for its employees. After leaving Aviva for a year now to another insurer the differences in management styles were evident. When I first started at Aviva it felt more like a team /family environment however the last year I spent there I felt more and more disengaged because of all the changes.

2. "Hostile Takeover"

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When it was Friends Life it was great.

Cons

Corporate takeover, wanted less experienced workers for a lot less pay

Advice to Management

Put the customer first, not the money you could save. Hire and retain Quality Employees

3. "Great place to work, grow and learn"

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership and ability to make own decisions

Cons

Pay scales seem low compared to competition

Advice to Management

Improve the systems for front line staff. Actuarial findings are often incorrect and un-reliable. Don't put so much faith into the actuaries.

4. "Enjoyable."

Pros

Strong foundations, good place to work at. Friendly atmosphere. Support provided for queries and always options to help you succeed

Cons

Perhaps put the customer at the forefront a little too much in favour of other directives.

Advice to Management

Be stronger

5. "Good benefits but get used to constant cost cutting and redundancies"

Pros

Salary, Bonus and DC Pension (due to the company contribution) are goods as well as share option schemes that you can join

Cons

Always cost cutting, regular redundancy rounds (just going through it again) and lots of large organisation red tape hold productivity back.

6. "senior lawyer"

I worked at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good team spirit among colleagues

Cons

Management and communication to be improved

7. "Returning Employee. Aviva has changed so much!"

Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in York, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruitment process was fair, relaxed and transparent. Whilst I was not successful for the role I had initially applied for, they did what most companies who say they'll keep your cv on file fail to do. They actually contacted me back within days and asked me to come in for an informal chat with a manager about a different role. Aviva seem to bend over backwards to get the right people on board, even if they had been initially unsucessful. The Aviva of 8 or so years ago probably would not have done this.

Whilst a lot of the IT systems are still very much outdated on the front-end, there has been a lot of investment in the few years I have been away to create modern interface tools to simplify the end-user experience. Overall the systems are now about as easy to use as other insurers I have worked with.

There is a lot of flexibility in certain business areas to choose a full-time working pattern that fits with personal/family commitments. Whilst you can still work 9-5 if you choose, you can for instance, choose a pattern of 3 x 12 hour shifts per week, leaving 4 days off. This is pure gold for people with families and seems to be very popular.

There is a big emphasis now on customer experience. Every member of staff has equality of opinion as far as systems and processes go. If you feel something can be done better for the good of the customers, you are actively encouraged to let it be known.

Cons

Naturally due to the size of the company, there are a number of layers to the organisational structure. As such, it can be difficult to see immediate effects of feedback both to and from management. I haven't been back with Aviva to make specific comparisons with prior experience, however it must be said that any huge company will have some communication issues with staff.

Advice to Management

Overall, Aviva is seeing the fruits of sustained efforts over the last 5 or so years to streamline the core business and make themselves easy to deal with.

It was initially difficult to make the choice to apply for a role and come back. The redundancies of 2013 of which I was a part of was not pleasant at the time. But time certainly changes one's perspective and I am glad I have come back. The whole company seems much more positive and forward thinking now, and this is translating into excellent performance results.

My advice to management is do not forget the journey we have been through in the last 5 years. Remember what has now made us the top choice for life and general insurance and keep up the forward momentum we have at present.

8. "Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Grimsby, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Grimsby, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flex time , Family time, Holidays

Cons

Bad Management, Underhand, Secrets, Culture

Advice to Management

Be more open

9. "Not an enjoyable place to work"

Current Employee - Sales and Service Associate in Galway (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Sales and Service Associate in Galway (Ireland)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some but they can be difficult to see with all the cons

Cons

No clear processes. Depending on who you ask a question there is a different answer, was sold the job on Monday to Friday's but have since been forced to work Saturday's and take a half day during the week so we don't get overtime. Loud, slow equipment also we are expected to arrive 10-15 mins before work so our many slow outdated systems can load up for which we do not get payed even though as part of Irish employment law you must be giving time to setup when you shift starts.

Advice to Management

Get your middle management working together and think about what the terrible wages do to people drive to work to their full ability

10. "Product Executive"

Pros

great salary and holidays, benefits etc

Cons

insufficient training opportunities, archaic IT systems