Aviva Reviews in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson
Mark Wilson

Pros
Cons
  • No professionalism amongst senior management team (in 17 reviews)

• The middle management is a joke (in 9 reviews)

1. "Returning Employee. Aviva has changed so much!"

Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - CLAIMS ADVISOR in York, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The recruitment process was fair, relaxed and transparent. Whilst I was not successful for the role I had initially applied for, they did what most companies who say they'll keep your cv on file fail to do. They actually contacted me back within days and asked me to come in for an informal chat with a manager about a different role. Aviva seem to bend over backwards to get the right people on board, even if they had been initially unsucessful. The Aviva of 8 or so years ago probably would not have done this.

Whilst a lot of the IT systems are still very much outdated on the front-end, there has been a lot of investment in the few years I have been away to create modern interface tools to simplify the end-user experience. Overall the systems are now about as easy to use as other insurers I have worked with.

There is a lot of flexibility in certain business areas to choose a full-time working pattern that fits with personal/family commitments. Whilst you can still work 9-5 if you choose, you can for instance, choose a pattern of 3 x 12 hour shifts per week, leaving 4 days off. This is pure gold for people with families and seems to be very popular.

There is a big emphasis now on customer experience. Every member of staff has equality of opinion as far as systems and processes go. If you feel something can be done better for the good of the customers, you are actively encouraged to let it be known.

Cons

Naturally due to the size of the company, there are a number of layers to the organisational structure. As such, it can be difficult to see immediate effects of feedback both to and from management. I haven't been back with Aviva to make specific comparisons with prior experience, however it must be said that any huge company will have some communication issues with staff.

Advice to Management

Overall, Aviva is seeing the fruits of sustained efforts over the last 5 or so years to streamline the core business and make themselves easy to deal with.

It was initially difficult to make the choice to apply for a role and come back. The redundancies of 2013 of which I was a part of was not pleasant at the time. But time certainly changes one's perspective and I am glad I have come back. The whole company seems much more positive and forward thinking now, and this is translating into excellent performance results.

My advice to management is do not forget the journey we have been through in the last 5 years. Remember what has now made us the top choice for life and general insurance and keep up the forward momentum we have at present.

2. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in York, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in York, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very understanding and supportive managers. no ridiculous targets

Cons

Low pay
    Progression isn't great

Advice to Management

Listen to staff more

3. "Senior Solution Designer"

Current Employee - Senior Solution Designer in Perth, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Designer in Perth, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Parking, Flexible Work From Home, Training on a wide range of topics, Canteen

Cons

Bureaucratic, hierarchical management, legacy projects and technology, poor communication, far too many pointless meetings, remote area, inability to use tools used in rest of industry and forced to use what is available

Advice to Management

Role rotation, change outdated methods and culture

4. "Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

*Good Annual Bonus provided
    *Given autonomy to do my role
    *Good employment benefits
    *My location had a good working environment

Cons

*Salary was below market value for my role
    *Company could be too centralised at times
    * Advancement opportunities were dependant on location

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Claims Handler in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked for Aviva for 11 years, in that time i have gained so much skills, training and knowledge. I learnt about myself more and how far i can go. I got on well with most employees at Aviva, it was like a family.

Cons

Well too much workload but this was because there was not enough staff and employees were over worked.

Advice to Management

Management need to listen to the team and any suggestions they may havem lso to help and guide employees into future progression.

"Sexist, Discriminate, Cruel."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bristol, England (UK)

Pros

None, they make out they care, they do not.

Cons

I am not usually one to write a bad review about a company, but I don't want this to happen again. To anyone.
    When I started work here, it was perfect, they had told me how caring and great they were and it seemed so at first.
    Until A) my "manager" decided he did not like me. And B) they decided I was too much hard work with my disability.
    I was taken from on warnings or meetings to outright dismissal, for a load of ridiculous reasons that my team leader had pulled out of thin air.
    I was told the day before I went on holiday, to be fired the day I came back. Absolutely awful.
    The middle management is a joke. My manager didn't even know how to do my job, yet was meant to lead us.
    The team was lead by another colleague who was not meant to and was not paid to.
    I am not the only one mistreated by this manager, who became a manager by accident because the old one left. He was not and is not fit for this role.
    I feel like I have been discriminated against, and treated extremely unfairly.
    I am afraid I CANNOT recommend that anyone works here.
    Even worse if you are female or disabled.

Advice to Management

Sort out your middle management.

7. "Business analyst"

Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Business Analyst in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Integrity, Professional, Committed, Pragmatic and adaptable

Cons

Flat management hierarchy, longer turn around times

8. "Great company to work for and heading in the right direction"

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Norwich, England (UK)
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Norwich, England (UK)

I have been working at Aviva full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of benefits, good pension scheme, product discount and generous share scheme. Company on the up, great leadership with the right strategy! Plenty of opportunities for those willing to put in the work.

Cons

Lots of bureaucracy as a result of the legacy of all the mergers and just the sheer size of the group. Getting better but still a major blocker to the company reaching its full potential.

Advice to Management

Be more aggressive at cutting through the fat that still exists in the company. Can always do more to reward the talent and nurture it to fulfil potential.

9. "Great Career Opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Aviva full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, fantastic opportunities and talented people who really care about their customers. Best job ever as I had so many chances to shine with positive role models who took delight in seeing me succeed and do a good job.

Cons

If you don't like change then it's probably not for you.... however, if you thrive on a challenge & can cope with uncertainty it'll suit you perfectly.

Advice to Management

Continue to put people first and you won't go far wrong when planning change. They'll give 110% if you motivate them and recognise their strengths.

10. "Don't bother!!"

Former Employee - Claims Handler in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Aviva part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company packages with Avila. Flexibility in hours if compatible with the business needs, good share options and other pros

Cons

Company not bothered about employees just money I worked for this company for 16 years and was made redundant last year. The senior management not at all bothered about their staff. They let the office that I was in just carry on regardless only bothered about calls queuing and not the work load that staff had to endure causing a lot of stress ,with managers monitoring you if you were off the phone and not asking permission. It was like being back at school!! This has made me rethink working in the insurance industry. Also the redundancy package reduced. It so disappointing!!

Advice to Management

Think more about the people that work for you because without them there is no aviva