Avnet Reviews | Glassdoor

Avnet Reviews

Updated May 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Avnet is a great company that promotes work life balance and good compensation (in 36 reviews)

• Avnet has great people at every location that I ever visited which is over 20 across the country (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most large companies, it can be an old boys club (in 19 reviews)

• The company is top heavy with upper management that doesn't engage lower level employees (in 17 reviews)

1. "Computer Repair Technician III"

Current Employee - Computer Technician in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Computer Technician in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Avnet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Was a good place to work. With plenty of opportunities.

Cons

Career growth is challenging even having the competence and skills require. Promotion is not done exactly by merit and competence even reaching your quarterly objective set.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent.

Feb 23, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Avnet. Our organization is going through a lot of transformation right now and receiving honest feedback like yours helps us to recognize key ... More

2. "Client Executive"

Current Employee - Client Executive in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Client Executive in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Avnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great People and great Suppliers!

Cons

Just sold business to competition, so there is a lot of uncertainty.

Jan 19, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for sharing your experience at Avnet, we appreciate you taking the time to write a review!

"Changes Have Changed the Culture"

Current Employee - BDM in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - BDM in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Avnet full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people. Avnet has some very smart people who have some revolutionary ideas about the role of distribution.

Cons

Management is run by an "old boys club"
    New CEO does not show a calming leadership presence in times of turmoil
    Rumors about TS acquisition by Tech Data are unchecked, and creating even more confusion and angst
    New "Flexible Time Off" policy means no vacation accrued, no vacation payment if you leave the company and management by stick. A common theme is "If you're not making your number, don't even think about PTO."

Advice to Management

Provide some sense of leadership to your employees. Don't make major policy changes (like Flexible Time Off) during an acquisition when people are concerned about impending layoffs. While attrition might be part of your strategy, you're losing the best people first.

"Frontline access to innovation"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Avnet full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture and people, competitive pay and flexible work/life balance. The new talent and acquisitions brought to Avnet this year has made the company a truly exciting and innovative tech powerhouse.

Cons

No gym and no slide to get from the 2nd floor to the 1st floor. Hover boards would be a plus too.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in millennials and generational education.

Jan 9, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us! This is an exciting time for the company and we appreciate you taking the time to provide us with feedback.

6. "Not a number"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Avnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even though Avnet is a large company (10,000+ employees), I do not feel as though I am just a number. Management treats their employees with respect. I enjoy being a team member here.

Cons

A lot of change right now, which can be good but continuous communication is vital during these changes.

Jan 10, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience at Avnet to show others what it's like to work here. We appreciate all the hard work you do for us, thank you!

"I just work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Duluth, GA

I have been working at Avnet full-time

Pros

Flexible, laid back. If you're looking for job where doing the bare minimum is enough, this is the place for you.

Cons

Too laid back. Individual performance is not recognized. Hardwork and dedication are often overlooked. Laziness and negligence will go un-noticed. Doesn't give employees any incentives to work harder.

"Lead Integration Technician"

Former Employee - Lead Integration Technician in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Lead Integration Technician in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Avnet full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can't honestly think of any

Cons

Poor leadership structure. Too many "managers" who make knee jerk decisions resulting in the loss of employees and customers.

Advice to Management

Slow down and let strategies be successful before taking differant directions.

9. "Avnet is decent to work for, unknown but optimistic future with tech data purchase"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groveport, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groveport, OH

I have been working at Avnet full-time

Pros

get a chance to learn a lot with different technology, Occasional overtime, education assistance, job security, okay recognition for achievements.

Cons

low pay, benefits are not good, top heavy(too many people in office, not enough in production), most of the production jobs are high activity, no bonuses.

Advice to Management

compensate more to the employees actually doing the work.

Jan 19, 2017 – Recruiter

Thanks for taking the time to share what your experience at Avnet has been like. As with any large company there can be organizational roadblocks, but we are going through a lot of change right now ... More

"Unethical Practices"

Former Employee - Senior Java/J2EE Developer in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Java/J2EE Developer in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Avnet full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady stream of work is available

Cons

Lots of unethical practices with people looking to interview for a position

Advice to Management

There are rude and corrupt Indians, who hire through private networks after posting job online and rejecting candidate with no reason for their own candidates to make a commission. HR is not aware of this.

"The Pros out weight the Cons"

Current Employee - Finance in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Avnet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) I am fortune to work with some really good people who understand the concept of team but are willing to step up and help resolve issues.
    2) Leadership does not micro-manage at least not in my department. This is a HUGE plus.
    3) Employees have ownership of their accounts.

Cons

1) The national average for the position that I am in is $9,000 a year higher than what Anvet pays. What raises if any do not keep up with the yearly cost of living increases.
    2) Heavy work loads. Hourly employees often work "off the clock" coming in early, working late, and working through lunch to keep up with deadlines. Hourly employees are also discouraged from taking vacation time more than a day or two at a time because there's no one to cover your work load if you are out.
    3) Procedures are inconsistent; nothing is documented. Training is also inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Policies and procedures for completing tasks need to be documented so that those practices and procedures are consistent from processor to processor and no one is having to guess how this week it should be done versus last week.
    Human Resources should be more proactive in communicating to teams when changes in policy or coming down and not just some general all-purpose broadcast message but specific details instead.

Jan 19, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to share honest feedback with us. It's always helpful to hear directly from our employees on how to improve our processes, thank you for all your hard work!