Avon Products Independent Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sherry McCoy
1 Rating

Pros
  • People are so nice & they push for great work/life balance (in 79 reviews)

• Get to work from home with some of the most amazing people ever (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent and not being able to be with the reps is ludacris (in 51 reviews)

• Your DVM and upper management will eventually change and so will your work environment (in 54 reviews)

1. "Independent Sales Represntative"

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Queen Creek, AZ
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Queen Creek, AZ

I have been working at Avon Products (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home
    Independent
    Own Schedule
    Sneak Peak on products
    Discount

Cons

Wish it was easier for customers to connect
    Training was closer
    More support from higher management
    A lot of manager turnover

2. "Not the company it once was"

Current Freelancer - Independent Sales Representative
    Current Freelancer - Independent Sales Representative

I have been working at Avon Products (More than 3 years)

Pros

Makeup and perfume are great, and Avon has a hard-earned reputation for excellence. The discounts as a representative are also nice.

Cons

The jewelry design and quality has gone downhill, a redesign of some of the perfume bottles took away their aesthetic appeal and made them look generic, and some of the lower-price products have been eliminated in favor of pricier lines. Customer service has become virtually nonexistent, and it's only buy making things right out of my own pocket that I've been able to retain customers in spite of the shoddy service they've received from corporate.

The worst thing of all is this, though: there is a HUGE emphasis on recruiting new independent representatives rather than selling the products themselves. When I joined Avon after some encouragement from relatives who did well with it 20 or 30 years ago, I was absolutely horrified at the change from what I had seen when I was younger. The market is flooded with reps in my area, so it's incredibly difficult to get new customers (and I fight like a tiger to protect the ones I have), and my district manager is constantly pushing us to recruit new reps. Avon has gone from being a genuine business opportunity for work-at-home professionals to just another MLM pyramid scheme, and it breaks my heart, because I grew up living, breathing, and loving Avon.

Advice to Management

First of all, return to putting the customer first. Drop the MLM/Pyramid/Recruit Everybody You Know schtick and get back to the basics of building relationships with customers and giving them the best experience possible. Next, make sure the products you sell are the best possible. Finally, please make sure that your managers are sending out emails that are an asset to the company. My district manager's emails are riddled with errors, and they don't look very polished or professional at all. This does nothing to foster my faith in Avon as a place where I can grow and succeed as a business professional.

3. "Avon, beautiful things"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Avon Products part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working on your own, providing a service for your friends, meeting new people. Monthly meetings that encourage and uplift, great discounts on the things you buy plus access to preview products.

Cons

It's difficult to get enough customers to make a profit. I spent more on magazines and bags then I made. But it was a lot fun. Watches were junk.

Advice to Management

Keep profits at 40*/* so the small reps can make a little.

5. "Independant Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Lowellville, OH
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Lowellville, OH

I worked at Avon Products part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can make your own schedule, sell as much or as little as you want.

Cons

It is your own business so the less you sell the less you make.

6. "Awful"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Lebanon, VA
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Lebanon, VA

I worked at Avon Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Self paced and scheduled. Your own boss. Cool products usually. Ability to take time off whenever.

Cons

Always out of stock for rep orders, customer service isn't American, pyramid scheme basically. Pay is not consistent.

Advice to Management

Focus on helping people sell instead of always trying to put more people on management and sign people up like a giant pyramid scheme.

7. "Former sales and leadership rep"

Former Freelancer - Independent Sales Representative and Leadership
    Former Freelancer - Independent Sales Representative and Leadership

I worked at Avon Products (More than a year)

Pros

Set your own schedule. Be your own boss. Work on your terms but you must have iron boundaries with management to accomplish this.

Cons

So many. Spent more than I earned. Regional style management that basically bullied representatives and made it very hard to enjoy working for and with them. Local stores and online sales directly from company undercut independent reps. I see that as an unsustainable practice.

Advice to Management

Choose between having "door to door" reps or online and in store product sales. Independent representatives cannot compete in that environment.

8. "It is What You Make Of It"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Avon Products (More than a year)

Pros

Great line of products. Great training.Decent pay incentives. Your own free website which people anywhere can order from. Make your own hours, work independently. If you hustle hard, you will get something out of it.

Cons

The incentives sort of fluctuated. New catalogs with different sales every 2 weeks was kind of a lot to keep track of. You have to pay for catalogs, samples, etc. Plus you need to recruit and train others. Otherwise you will have to sell a lot in order to make a decent income (this is an MLM). Be aware that there may be other successful and established reps in your area, so you might need to go elsewhere to find your customers.

Advice to Management

Be organized and consistent.

9. "independence sales representative"

Current Contractor - Independent Sales Representative in Palm Coast, FL
    Current Contractor - Independent Sales Representative in Palm Coast, FL

I have been working at Avon Products as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy helping people look good, your own boss

Cons

Not as easy people think, Find your own customers

Advice to Management

Get more involved with newbies

10. "Independent Sales Representative oô88î"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Avon Products (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility and able to work your own hours. Good for generating some extra income.

Cons

No sells then you don't make money must have leads and buy marketing packages and products out of pocket.

Advice to Management

Keep communication with new sales representatives and better training with potential employees.

"Independent Sales Representative - Leadership 10+ years"

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Trenton, NJ
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Trenton, NJ

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Meet many wonderful Avon Representatives around the country.

Cons

Bonus system needs to change for ALL Leadership levels. Upper Leadership level are put on a "Pedestal".. ALMA program needs changes and ALL Leaders should only pay for contracts not just Upper Leadership. Managers are making bonuses for what Leaders do, and we are not making anything for our hard work. The back orders are not changing, we are losing customers. and this is a "Sales" company, and we have a service.

Advice to Management

STOP only focusing "Promoters", and additions, demanding us Leaders to make your quota. Go back to SALES only. Start listening to the Representatives needs, Reevaluate who you hire as your DSM and DVM. , Since REMOYE, we have no contact with our manger and no meetings ONLY TEXT messages .The fraud is live and well. We see it everyday in our down line. There is to much cover up and the Representative and Leaders suffer and we lose money..