Avon Products Reviews | Glassdoor

Avon Products Chief Executive Officer Sherry McCoy
Sherry McCoy

1,228 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I worked at Avon before the restructuring and really enjoyed the talent and work life balance (in 83 reviews)

• Get to work from home with some of the most amazing people ever (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent and not being able to be with the reps is ludacris (in 52 reviews)

• The message from upper management gets blurred when it comes to the downlines (in 56 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Development Chemist in Suffern, NY
    Current Employee - Development Chemist in Suffern, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay (not great not awful), great coworkers in R&D, you learn a lot in a short period of time. Good benefits. Overall R&D is a pretty good place to work.

Cons

Volatile working place. Lay offs are roughly annual and R&D is already short staffed so we are overworked, some people doing multiple peoples' worth of work. Suffern is also a small village so there is not much to do outside of work for fun.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency from senior management to lower associates.
    It's impossible to retain talent if associates are overworked and underpaid.

2. "Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get to meet some wonderful people and make friends also.

Cons

Is when someone needs to pay you they ignore you try to avoid you by paying and you have to send back.

3. "Out Sale Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the products this is why I still want to work for Avon, my customers like most of the products as well.

Cons

Many times when I order products, I don't get the right products and I have been over charged. And I have to pay extra money to for order to be released. I am going through the same situation now.

Advice to Management

I think to what I have experienced since I have been working for Avon, is that I have been over charged many times when I order products. And that is not fare at all. I think everyone who work for Avon or who are customers should be treated equally no matter the culture difference.

4. "New Avon LLC Going from Bad to Worse"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice People /Great Location. This review is for New Avon LLC- Scott White CEO ( Not Avon Products Inc- Sheri McCoy CEO)

Cons

Beware: Lack of decision making based on facts creates constant churn, no accountability, everyone chases their tales because of so many layers of decision making, no acknowledgement of a job well done, only criticism because sales are so poor. Your are not empowered to make a decision, it will be overridden by various colleagues. The Selling Field is a mess and is fundamentally so broken it will be hard to fix. The time/$ $ that has been spent to fix the field has failed miserably and most employees have one foot out the door. The whole new mgmt crew that has been hired doesn't understand direct selling so they are making decisions that make sense for a retail store, not a direct selling company. Long hours and late nights only yield for more churn the next day. No job satisfaction, everything is urgent and due yesterday. Loads of arrogance abounds in the Senior Leadership team because they are so out of touch.

Advice to Management

The Madness has to stop. Take a look around and look how poor the morale is at the company. You need to train new hires, use the experience of seasoned employees and build the business back up with knowledgeable staff. Avon is a direct selling company, it is not a retail store. Sr. Management better get a handle on things because there is way to much turnover. Every week there is a new hire in my area that has no idea where to start or has any training. It's really frustrating. The strategies and tactics to execute are constantly changing and the Beauty/Non Beauty areas are constantly churning out the same information and analysis that is never used. I am looking for a new job and hope I can get out quickly. Most of the last colleagues that have resigned have left the company with no job in place because the atmosphere was so toxic.

"Not for those who really want to make extra money"

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in La Grange, NC
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in La Grange, NC

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have great tools and give you a starter kit

Cons

You have to pay out of pocket for the start kit, management is not very helpful and they don't really check to see if you have an questions or concerns

Advice to Management

Help your representatives more

"District Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Avon Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and some good, experienced co-workers.

Cons

Unheard-of hours expected to work to even come close to minimum expectation of goals, intense pressure and stress. Few that go in with happy marriages or family life come out the same way.

Advice to Management

Begin selling products in Wal Mart and Target. Model is outdated and hopeless in today's market.

"warehouse"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good company, great oportunities,good benefits

Cons

job security, new company not sure what they are doing yet

"Customer Service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Springdale, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Springdale, OH

I have been working at Avon Products (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great staff, diversity of people, discounts on products. Good hours. Good opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Terrible job security presently. Too many changes to policies.

"Unrealistic targets and bad practices"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in New York, NY
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in New York, NY

I have been working at Avon Products (More than a year)

Pros

Almost none. Work from home so can plan own diary.

Cons

No training. Unprofessional. People promoted to management roles they are not equipped to do. All about who you know and not daring to suggest that maybe things aren't working. Extremely high pressured target driven but targets based on no real business or commercial awareness. No security, if you fail to make targets, with absolutely no support from the company then you can be sacked with immediate effect. Expect to have no life outside of Avon. As an AM you will be working 10-12 hour days in order to meet targets and customers will expect to contact you 24/7.

Advice to Management

Focus on quality not quantity. Current targets are only leading to undermining reputation of the business. Advertising is poor and ineffectual. Spend money on marketing and innovative products. Look to raise the brand profile to attract sustainable business.

"District Sales Manager"

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility to meet everyone's schedule

Cons

Management changes every day. No job security. Lies from above. No support to field managers. Representatives do not work, instead they expect District Manageres to do the work for them. Ultimate goal is to remove all field personnel and simply have leadership coaches, which makes sense for a MLM company. Too many products and programs that are too difficult to understand and next to impossible to achieve for even savvy people. Advertising aimed toward low income minorities and not toward "everyone". Extremely low salaries and benefits taken away and reduced to nothing. Division Managers sabotage success of District Managers. Backbiting inside the teams. Unpleasant and stressful work environment.

Advice to Management

Let go of all Division managers and keep the Field Managers.

Showing 1,228 of 1,338 reviews