Avon Products Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Avon Products Chief Executive Officer Sherry McCoy
Sherry McCoy

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I worked at Avon before the restructuring and really enjoyed the talent and work life balance (in 85 reviews)

• Get to work from home with some of the most amazing people ever (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is non existent and not being able to be with the reps is ludacris (in 52 reviews)

• The message from upper management gets blurred when it comes to the downlines (in 56 reviews)

"Good Company But I Was Too Shy"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great product, cheap product, good ideas given on how to sell it, good return policy, products for men

Cons

Not sure if they have the pull they used too, they say anyone can do it, not true, if you are too shy it won't work, products cause cancer

Advice to Management

Have call in lines and sales support meeting to keep your reps motivated, if you already to this sorry I must have missed it. You get an A-plus for diversity, but a F- on values, you have cancer causing agents in the your products, making your walk for the cure a joke. The way to cure cancer is to go up against big corporations putting hormones, antibiotics, chemicals and crap in our food and environment, not to continue dumping billions into fundraisers and cancer hospitals. You've been walking for 50 years and will still do so years from now!!!!!!

2. "Out Sale Representative"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really like the products this is why I still want to work for Avon, my customers like most of the products as well.

Cons

Many times when I order products, I don't get the right products and I have been over charged. And I have to pay extra money to for order to be released. I am going through the same situation now.

Advice to Management

I think to what I have experienced since I have been working for Avon, is that I have been over charged many times when I order products. And that is not fare at all. I think everyone who work for Avon or who are customers should be treated equally no matter the culture difference.

"Not for those who really want to make extra money"

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in La Grange, NC
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in La Grange, NC

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They have great tools and give you a starter kit

Cons

You have to pay out of pocket for the start kit, management is not very helpful and they don't really check to see if you have an questions or concerns

Advice to Management

Help your representatives more

"More effort, more money"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lynnwood, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Lynnwood, WA

I worked at Avon Products part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Set your own hours, work as much or as little as you want, reward options, be your own boss, work with friends

Cons

More money takes lots of effort. Most likely you will break even or end up spending more than you make

5. "Not the company it once was"

Current Freelancer - Independent Sales Representative
    Current Freelancer - Independent Sales Representative

I have been working at Avon Products (More than 3 years)

Pros

Makeup and perfume are great, and Avon has a hard-earned reputation for excellence. The discounts as a representative are also nice.

Cons

The jewelry design and quality has gone downhill, a redesign of some of the perfume bottles took away their aesthetic appeal and made them look generic, and some of the lower-price products have been eliminated in favor of pricier lines. Customer service has become virtually nonexistent, and it's only buy making things right out of my own pocket that I've been able to retain customers in spite of the shoddy service they've received from corporate.

The worst thing of all is this, though: there is a HUGE emphasis on recruiting new independent representatives rather than selling the products themselves. When I joined Avon after some encouragement from relatives who did well with it 20 or 30 years ago, I was absolutely horrified at the change from what I had seen when I was younger. The market is flooded with reps in my area, so it's incredibly difficult to get new customers (and I fight like a tiger to protect the ones I have), and my district manager is constantly pushing us to recruit new reps. Avon has gone from being a genuine business opportunity for work-at-home professionals to just another MLM pyramid scheme, and it breaks my heart, because I grew up living, breathing, and loving Avon.

Advice to Management

First of all, return to putting the customer first. Drop the MLM/Pyramid/Recruit Everybody You Know schtick and get back to the basics of building relationships with customers and giving them the best experience possible. Next, make sure the products you sell are the best possible. Finally, please make sure that your managers are sending out emails that are an asset to the company. My district manager's emails are riddled with errors, and they don't look very polished or professional at all. This does nothing to foster my faith in Avon as a place where I can grow and succeed as a business professional.

6. "Sales Representative"

Current Freelancer - Sales Representative in Buena Park, CA
    Current Freelancer - Sales Representative in Buena Park, CA

I have been working at Avon Products (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great company to work for as they are a fun company to work for.

Cons

It is only part time not full time and would prefer better pay.

7. "Good"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in El Monte, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in El Monte, CA

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a challenging career, and you get to know what it feels like to sell for a living.

Cons

You find out that Sales is an extremely challenging position

Advice to Management

Look at my determination.

8. "Avon Representative"

Current Freelancer - Sales Representative, Medical Billing SP in Bronx, NY
    Current Freelancer - Sales Representative, Medical Billing SP in Bronx, NY

Pros

Working independently , and having a supportive regional manager is outstanding.

Cons

Aminal testing rumors , lack of product marketing.

Advice to Management

Promote Anew brand, using gorilla marketing strategy .

9. "Avon, beautiful things"

Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Avon Products part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working on your own, providing a service for your friends, meeting new people. Monthly meetings that encourage and uplift, great discounts on the things you buy plus access to preview products.

Cons

It's difficult to get enough customers to make a profit. I spent more on magazines and bags then I made. But it was a lot fun. Watches were junk.

Advice to Management

Keep profits at 40*/* so the small reps can make a little.

10. "Wonderful company"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Avon Products part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Enjoy working a schedule that fits around my needs, you get out what you put in to it. It's worth it!

Cons

Not many draw backs. You are in charge of the amount you earn. Work had it will pay off

Advice to Management

Never had any issues with management. Your manager can change often with little notice