Axial Reviews | Glassdoor

Axial Reviews

Updated Jun 1, 2018

3.2

"Wonderful culture, professional and dedicated company"

Current Employee - Marketing Strategist and Content Writer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Axial full-time for less than a year

Pros

The team is made up of people with a variety of skills and experience. This contributes to approaching each product from unique perspectives. Everyone who works at Axial is truly committed to the product, they will do whatever it takes to deliver the best possible product to the client. In terms of culture, it is a very horizontal structure. Everyone's voice is heard and the Directors really value everyone's opinion.... It is professional yet fun; high-expectations but collaborative; and overall a great atmosphere. For the first time I enjoy spending time with my coworkers outside of work!

Cons

Honestly, this is the best place I've worked and I can't think of any criticisms right now! If anything I would say some procedures still need to be solidified, but everyone at the company has a say in determining what these procedures will be, which is a nice feeling.

Advice to Management

Keep up the initiatives to enhance company culture and promote bonding- it's great.

Axial2015-11-20

"Potential client or employee? Be careful."

I worked at Axial full-time

Pros

A few talented developers, good medical and insurance benefits, a good office location in Boulder CO.

Cons

Unfortunately it seems Axial (previously Imulus) has changed their name to try and avoid their previous reputation. I recommend looking at the Imulus reviews on Glassdoor to see this company's true history. A once a great company, that cared deeply about employees and doing great work, is now dead. Their agency-quality website is a 3rd-party paid Wordpress theme called Oshine. And the same management that once... fired people the day they returned from cancer treatment has continued their hurtful practices: deceitfully luring in talented new hires only to remove them months later. The head of operations and now part-owner seems to be learning on the fly, ignoring honest and respectable business practices at every turn (like paying freelancers on time and taking care of small clients). Before becoming a client or employee of Axial I recommend asking around and getting the whole story. Previous employees will be honest and are easy to track down on LinkedIn or Github.

Advice to Management

Come clean, admit your mistakes, and treat people the way you want to be treated.

Axial2016-01-26

"Old Startup with New Potential"

I have been working at Axial full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people at Axial are what make this company great. Some of the most hardworking and intelligent people I have ever met. The company is being rebranded and the new name brings with it a new attitude and fits more with the direction the company was wanting to go. Amazing office off of Pearl st. Great benefits. A very bright future for this company.

Cons

Going through a growing and changing period. Processes are still being defined, hopefully to be solidified in the near future.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. There are great people at the helm of this company who I believe want to make us very successful.

Axial2015-11-19

"A rarity in the modern workplace"

Current Employee - Frontend Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Axial full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people who make up the team are all relatively young and extremely talented good hearted individuals. The benefits are fantastic and the office is new with a prime location on Pearl Street. Management is approachable and genuinely care about the well being of the employees, the brand and the client.

Cons

Transitional period right now as newer leadership takes over and old clients wrapped up. Occasionally the workload can be high but that seems to be about the norm any more at most places.

Advice to Management

Continue being open to suggestions and letting the employees shape procedures for the future

Axial2015-11-21

"So much potential, going to be amazing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Axial full-time for more than a year

Pros

It's a collaborative team where everybody's voice is heard. They are always open to trying out new technologies and new tools that the employees want to try. They pay full insurance for their employees and do free lunches for everyone every Friday, not to mention the occasional sushi nights. Cool office with a cool atmosphere. Management who cares about employee needs and concerns.

Cons

This is a company that's been dealt a couple of rough blows recently so you should think of them a little like a startup with a smaller team. They have a new identity and restructured management. It's not the kind of place where all of the processes and procedures are pre-defined and set in stone because people tend to wear a lot of hats. At times it can seem a little chaotic. So if you work there, you'll have to... contribute to defining those things. If that's your thing, then that's great.

Advice to Management

I predict 2016 will be a great year for you guys. Try to pull down a bit of the chaos but don't lose sight of what already makes Axial a great place to work. I see you doing amazing things.

Axial2015-11-20
  6. "Changing for the better"

in Boulder, CO

I worked at Axial

Pros

Some of the most passionate and knowledgable people I know. Very cool fun Startup feel company. Everyone has a voice in the company. Changes are constantly being made to benefit the employees. The company has a strong vision for the future. If you like small teams and a variety of clients and work, it's a great place to be.

Cons

The company has gone through some very drastic changes. All of which are for the best, but, I put this in the con section because some lose ends are still being dragged along. Also, when 5pm hits the office is empty. Which means a great work life balance, but a lack of culture. The culture is still being organically defined.

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction you are going, Keep listening to your employees.

Axial2015-11-24

"Culture is gone. Questionable management."

I worked at Axial full-time

Pros

Good benefits, vacation days. Decent compensation. Nice location in Boulder, CO. Tons of outdoor activities and other fun things to do.

Cons

The company name changed from Imulus to Axial. New name, same company. The new company goal is to squeeze money out of people in any way possible. Even if it means doing questionable things. Money over relationships ...period. Management has got a couple bad apples. Manipulative and will say anything to get what they want. The culture used to be great but went south. Everyone knows it but they don't know how to fix... it.

Advice to Management

Start putting people first again. The old culture was about people and relationships. The money first approach is ruining your reputations. Word spreads quickly in the small town of Colorado. Take a close look at your management and decisions being made. It's not too late yet to turn things around and save face.

Axial2015-11-23

"Gordon Gecko is someone's hero"

I worked at Axial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Beautiful Boulder, reasonable benefits, and a good amount of vacation days.

Cons

How the mighty have fallen, and like AIG, rebranded. What once used to be a great company, has proved that just a few bad apples can wreck a great culture and a good business. I came to Imulus with a great admiration for their integrity, honesty to both clients and employees and a commitment to do excellent work with great people who treated each other like family. You would come in and make life long friends at... Imulus. It was that way for many, many years and then a subtle shift happened when a focus was made on the bottom line rather than taking care of employees and clients. New management scared off or fired current clients in favor of new "big" clients who then rejected them, mainly because they realized they were being lied to. There is still some good talent in the company, however they used to have the two best Umbraco developers in the country, along with an Apple award winner and the creators of retina.js and supportdetails. These have now all left or been let go, leaving mainly people who were previously rejected for employment previously with the company, or fresh new faces who don't know any better. It became apparent that management will get rid of you if you raise any questions about their decisions. If you want to know a bit about the current company, just ask any of the past clients they have listed on their (now templatized wordpress) website such as Rails To Trails, Vail, GE, Boy Scouts etc. The reviews won't be good.

Advice to Management

Realize that greed isn't good and that screwing over your fellow workmates and your clients is no way to run a business.

Axial2015-11-21

"Sad Face"

I worked at Axial

Pros

LOVE the team. Management is the problem.

Cons

I believe there are two untrustworthy Directors that have made enormous strides in the wrong direction. Once I accepted the offer and took the job I felt duped, unsupported and setup to fail.

Advice to Management

Be upfront regarding your background, expertise and capabilities. Be honest about the quality of work being completed and take responsibility.

Axial2015-10-19

"House of Cards"

I worked at Axial full-time

Pros

Reasonably competitive salaries, benefits, 401k, located in beautiful Boulder, CO.

Cons

What do you get if you cross House of Cards and a Digital Agency? Unfortunately, you get Imulus. If you want to work for the Underwoods, this is the place for you. Imulus is now run by management who are as devious as they are ambitious, and who will stab anyone in the back to try to get ahead. The new mission of the organization seems to be to look polished from the outside, despite the fact that things have... been falling apart for at least a year. They want to look bigger than they are, better than they are, and more experienced than they are. Management is willing to step all over people, steal from clients, and lie to 'friends' if it means getting what they want. Nepotism seems to be valued over talent, and is the new ticket to both job security and promotion. This will make it hard for talented new employees to reach top levels of the company. The 100% turnover they had in a year is a good indication of how employees are actually being treated. There have been two rounds of layoffs this year. In January, there was a large round of layoffs. Then Imulus irresponsibly rehired a new set of people... just to lay them off again a few months later. Most who were not laid off have fled the company as fast as they can. The President (who it appears had previously left a positive review on glassdoor) has just recently resigned. Only one of the original three owners is still there. Unfortunately, this is now a hollow shell of a company. I hate to post a negative review like this, but I feel like the truth should be posted somewhere online, for diligent searchers to find. One thing that is for darn sure, is that you won't be hearing the truth from Imulus.

Advice to Management

My advice to the current management is to really evaluate what you are doing, and if you feel good about your decisions when you go home at night. House of Cards is called just that, for a reason.

Axial2015-10-07