Axon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Axon CEO & Founder Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "While the work is challenging, the company still encourages a good work-life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "The company is on a mission to change for the better how law enforcement works in this country (and worldwide)" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes the hours can get long, but the company pushes everyone to have a good work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Fast growing company with some growing pains" (in 15 reviews)

"Awesome company"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really passionate people, who work with the goal of providing great hardware and software to the law enforcement community. Never seen a more passionate bunch.

Cons

The company is sales heavy and engineering is not really a glamorous role is. Also, lots of people who are pro 2nd amendment.

2. "Strong leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong executive leadership, good benefits

Cons

Poor work life balance at times

"Hype train"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great room for personal growth if you can play the politics.

Great PTO options and good perks.

Great code base with skilled developers.

Helping first responders.

Cons

Honestly they have a great mission, but the company is so poorly managed. There are almost no procedures for even an exit interview with HR. I had to arrange the exit interview myself, and they still pride themselves on being a startup, despite the fact that TASER has been around since the 90s.

They also suffer from a "go after the shiniest object" syndrome, where they prematurely latched onto a drone reselling service despite in no way integrating into their product suite. Middle management is pretty much kids out of Harvard, so they tend to have a very entitled attitude, because in reality they have 2 years of work experience.

The frat culture and sexism are just... always bubbling under the surface. Then there's the dishonesty, TASER has used some nasty PR tactics to silence victims of TASER death and their interference in medical trials and lawsuits are well-documented. There was a reason that they changed the name to Axon.

Ultimately, they can be a good place to further your career if you are in the right team, but you have to kill your internal moral compass. And if you've worked in a tech startup before, I'm sure you'll know to see past the vat of kool-aid they pour over you.

Advice to Management

You have great potential, but maybe don't fire your senior management because they don't "Work the Axon way" (i.e. Try to set up organizational procedures). I get that you want to be a startupie company, but as you scale you also need to proper processes and competent management that perhaps didn't get hired for playing beer pong with the CEO :)

4. "Great Company!"

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working and learning environment and the people!

Cons

A little too faced pace!

"The Good the Bad and the Axon"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Cool place to work.
    Great work life balance.
    Unlimited time off (With in reason).
    Snacks and drinks, and beer.
    Little to no supervision needed / given if you do your job.
    Let's be real, TASERS!

Cons

It'll feel like middle management out numbers workers.
    Lack of processes and guiding vision cause products to spiral out of control.
    Teams are paid to get new products out the door, so quality has gone down.
    Ethics violations go unchecked for years, fill out the handy web site provided and you get no feedback but something happens in about 6 months.
    Record year with Trump tax breaks and no raises (3% is not a raise)
    Snack manager refuses to take requests.

Advice to Management

Architect needed, if we have one, they don't do their job. Teams are siloed and don't know what other teams are working on.
    Tell the people under you that saying no or the truth is better than being yes men.

"Great! Good team and interesting project."

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay
    Interesting project
    Snacks and drinks

Cons

No name company
    Poorly structured

Advice to Management

None

"Good Company with a lot of problems"

I worked at Axon full-time

Pros

This company seems to have a lot of opportunities, if you are the highly educated person from the right college. They have a number of perks that other companies do not and the pay is in the med range if anything.

Cons

This company is always looking to prevent it's self, but if they keep certain people that are really controlling the work environment they will never more past and move forward. If you want to move up in this company you will need too know the right people or you will get over looked every time.

Advice to Management

If you really want too change the company and move forward, you need to start changing environment from the top down not the other way around. if you keep certain people that have been with the company for a long time in high ranking positions you will never change the core of the company.

"House of Cards anyone? Politics, Backstabbing, Deceit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Makes you appreciate any other company you have ever and will work for. I never knew how professional all other companies are compared to this toxic place

Cons

Too many to list.
    Politics. Never have I experienced such politics in any company as this one. Its not about learning, becoming better at your job nor effort. It all comes down to politics and at Axon, they are especially dirty. People will throw you under the bus to not make themselves look bad. Worst part is, management is so incompetent they have no idea how to deal with people using these tactics nor tell if they are lying.
    Career advancement is obsolete at this place. The only way to get ahead is to try and make everyone around you look bad. And people do that whether its through lies or backstabbing. Managers are so manipulable that I have personally seen people get fired because colleagues spoke poorly of someone. Then of course we are all told its due to performance. Try to get ahead through decent means, getting advice from managers on how to advance your career, and you will regret it. Only way to get ahead here is to play their game of politics. And that usually doesn't last long either. They go through managers and employees like dirty laundry. Disposing constantly and replacing with more incompetent managers.
    Sales, are some of the most unethical people. Slimy tactics, constant pressuring of agencies. Even had Phoenix police put a stop to Axon contacting them because they couldn't accept having lost a bid. Sales will lie and do anything to get a sale. If they don't they will find someone to blame at the company, behind their back of course. You cannot trust anyone at this place.
    I once said I didn't know something, and I had someone in the Learning and Development team tell me "you're supposed to say you know even if you don't. Just fake it, that is the Axon Way". I knew instantly, if the learning and development team is telling me this then there is something seriously wrong here. I've had colleagues tell me they stay out of everyone's way, do their work quietly and try to not talk to anyone not necessary. All because of the politics of this place. You never know when someone will come after you because you are an easy target.

Nothing makes sense here. Pay is unaligned with market. Ask for a raise and prepare to get terminated. Interested in a new position and have experience? They will hire an outsider who has no experience in that area. A few years ago they started hiring all these execs from big tech companies. I am not sure if they do anything or its just to show that Axon has people from Apple and whatnot. They must of obviously been paid millions to join. Well, can't say I feel sorry for them, but they have no idea what they walked into. This also shows how Axon doesn't grow its employees. All of these execs came directly from outside the organization. No one from within.
    But, that is the Axon way. Lie, cheat, terminate and repeat.

Advice to Management

You don't deserve to be working with men and women in uniform. They need a decent organization to help the communities. You're dirty tactics and mistreatment to employees will catch up sooner or later.

"Toxic Culture + Dysfunctional Team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

mission
    used to have a good office manager
    average pay
    unlimited PTO

Cons

Toxic culture. No one talks to each other. They would slack you if you are just sitting next to them. PRs are full of nit-picks, scope-creep. The engineers think they are right about everything when in fact they are just mediocre. Don't let them bring you down to their level.

Advice to Management

If you have the means, hire manages who has strong personalities to change the work culture. If you see senior engineers step over their roles, for example, telling you how to manage and who is good who is not, tell them to stop and do what they are hired to do. Complaining about others doesn't make them superior. Tell the manager to use their own judgment and analytic abilities instead of waiting to be fed of information because they are usually biased. People are leaving and more will leave next year. Bad money drives out good money.

"Great mission, used by upper management to burn out good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic mission, heartfelt by the company founder and CEO. It's wonderful to do work that contributes to providing law-enforcement with better tools, in order to make the world better for everyone.

Cons

Burnout machine. You'll get average compensation while the fantastic mission is dangled in front of you to get you to work even harder.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking everyone.