Axon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Axon CEO & Founder Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "While the work is challenging, the company still encourages a good work-life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "The company is on a mission to change for the better how law enforcement works in this country (and worldwide)" (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes the hours can get long, but the company pushes everyone to have a good work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Fast growing company with some growing pains" (in 15 reviews)

"Awesome company"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really passionate people, who work with the goal of providing great hardware and software to the law enforcement community. Never seen a more passionate bunch.

Cons

The company is sales heavy and engineering is not really a glamorous role is. Also, lots of people who are pro 2nd amendment.

"Good Company with a lot of problems"

I worked at Axon full-time

Pros

This company seems to have a lot of opportunities, if you are the highly educated person from the right college. They have a number of perks that other companies do not and the pay is in the med range if anything.

Cons

This company is always looking to prevent it's self, but if they keep certain people that are really controlling the work environment they will never more past and move forward. If you want to move up in this company you will need too know the right people or you will get over looked every time.

Advice to Management

If you really want too change the company and move forward, you need to start changing environment from the top down not the other way around. if you keep certain people that have been with the company for a long time in high ranking positions you will never change the core of the company.

"House of Cards anyone? Politics, Backstabbing, Deceit"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Makes you appreciate any other company you have ever and will work for. I never knew how professional all other companies are compared to this toxic place

Cons

Too many to list.
    Politics. Never have I experienced such politics in any company as this one. Its not about learning, becoming better at your job nor effort. It all comes down to politics and at Axon, they are especially dirty. People will throw you under the bus to not make themselves look bad. Worst part is, management is so incompetent they have no idea how to deal with people using these tactics nor tell if they are lying.
    Career advancement is obsolete at this place. The only way to get ahead is to try and make everyone around you look bad. And people do that whether its through lies or backstabbing. Managers are so manipulable that I have personally seen people get fired because colleagues spoke poorly of someone. Then of course we are all told its due to performance. Try to get ahead through decent means, getting advice from managers on how to advance your career, and you will regret it. Only way to get ahead here is to play their game of politics. And that usually doesn't last long either. They go through managers and employees like dirty laundry. Disposing constantly and replacing with more incompetent managers.
    Sales, are some of the most unethical people. Slimy tactics, constant pressuring of agencies. Even had Phoenix police put a stop to Axon contacting them because they couldn't accept having lost a bid. Sales will lie and do anything to get a sale. If they don't they will find someone to blame at the company, behind their back of course. You cannot trust anyone at this place.
    I once said I didn't know something, and I had someone in the Learning and Development team tell me "you're supposed to say you know even if you don't. Just fake it, that is the Axon Way". I knew instantly, if the learning and development team is telling me this then there is something seriously wrong here. I've had colleagues tell me they stay out of everyone's way, do their work quietly and try to not talk to anyone not necessary. All because of the politics of this place. You never know when someone will come after you because you are an easy target.

Nothing makes sense here. Pay is unaligned with market. Ask for a raise and prepare to get terminated. Interested in a new position and have experience? They will hire an outsider who has no experience in that area. A few years ago they started hiring all these execs from big tech companies. I am not sure if they do anything or its just to show that Axon has people from Apple and whatnot. They must of obviously been paid millions to join. Well, can't say I feel sorry for them, but they have no idea what they walked into. This also shows how Axon doesn't grow its employees. All of these execs came directly from outside the organization. No one from within.
    But, that is the Axon way. Lie, cheat, terminate and repeat.

Advice to Management

You don't deserve to be working with men and women in uniform. They need a decent organization to help the communities. You're dirty tactics and mistreatment to employees will catch up sooner or later.

"Toxic Culture + Dysfunctional Team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

mission
    used to have a good office manager
    average pay
    unlimited PTO

Cons

Toxic culture. No one talks to each other. They would slack you if you are just sitting next to them. PRs are full of nit-picks, scope-creep. The engineers think they are right about everything when in fact they are just mediocre. Don't let them bring you down to their level.

Advice to Management

If you have the means, hire manages who has strong personalities to change the work culture. If you see senior engineers step over their roles, for example, telling you how to manage and who is good who is not, tell them to stop and do what they are hired to do. Complaining about others doesn't make them superior. Tell the manager to use their own judgment and analytic abilities instead of waiting to be fed of information because they are usually biased. People are leaving and more will leave next year. Bad money drives out good money.

"Great mission, used by upper management to burn out good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic mission, heartfelt by the company founder and CEO. It's wonderful to do work that contributes to providing law-enforcement with better tools, in order to make the world better for everyone.

Cons

Burnout machine. You'll get average compensation while the fantastic mission is dangled in front of you to get you to work even harder.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking everyone.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong growth company, pay is incredible, unlimited PTO, stock options for executive level positions, great corporate mission

Cons

This is the epitome of a "good ol' boys company". They are growing so quickly that they're infrastructure and capabilities are not keeping up to speed. The existing executives are getting overwhelmed and have become obsolete, and are out of their league. They don't know what's needed in the organization to drive continued growth and understanding of their customers. They are so concerned about the bottom line that they are cutting, and "being scrappy" on key functions that are essential to the expansion and continued health of this company. Be cautious of the Seattle team, they are DIFFICULT to say the least. New ideas are not well accepted, and the ego in that division is out of control. These guys think they walk on water, and refuse to accept new ideas that will transform their organization. Make sure you understand what you're getting into, your manager, and your job - I was mislead tremendously. Would have NEVER joined this company had I known the reality of what I was in for.

Advice to Management

"Gut" reactions and knowledge are not enough to bring you into the next era. Investment is required in Marketing, Research, Customer Experience, Services and other areas. Your product can only bring you so far. Being "scrappy" is one thing, but if you don't have the infrastructure and functions to bring you to the next level you will fail. ggggggggggggggg

7. "Instructional Designer"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission-driven tech company that is fast paced, highly collaborative, fun, and hires the best of the best. I loved my time at Axon and will always cherish the amazing memories and hard work I achieved there.

Cons

High growth means everything is moving rapidly and while there weren't too many policies/procedures set in place when I arrived, it was amazing to have a role in creating them.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome and "Aiming Far"

Sep 18, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we thank you for your work. We'll indeed keep Aiming Far, and wish you the best!

"Like a Fast Food-Cheap & Enticing but Afterwards your left w/ Indigestion and Empty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parental Leave
    PTO policy
    *Some* cool people

Cons

Before I started working at Axon, I told one of my friends where I was going to work. Her response was a freakishly a foreshadowing "that's a scummy company, are you sure you want to work for them?". Little did I know....Here's some candid facts about Axon:

-Culture of Fear & Paranoia: It all starts with the culture of fear and paranoia. Without a drastic change in culture, this place will always be the same. Ongoing jokes about who is going to be fired next. Is it really worth coming to a place to work wondering if you will be next? This actually causes anxiety in employees. But HR and management are to blame. They created this culture of fear and paranoia, and they feed it.

-Toxic environment
    Just watch Killing them Safely. They nailed how toxic this place is. Why do you think they 'changed' their name to Axon? They may have changed the name, but they can't change the reputation nor the culture. It is still the same toxic place it always was.Can't trust anyone. Constant back stabbing, constant firings, never know who said what to who to give them a bad rap. Bullying: rampant, almost encouraged

-Mid Management:
    Extremely unprofessional and unqualified for positions.
    I've seen numerous people be let go due to mid managers not able to manage and unqualified to make decisions

-Diversity?
    HA! Good luck finding at least a woman in a higher position. Everyone looks the same, thinks the same, acts the same. LGBT? Don't even think about it. Total bro-culture here.

- Employee Value
    Employees are not valued. Unless you are an LDP and went to Harvard or Stanford. Only exceptions. Other than that, you could have a Phd in your profession but someone with a bachelor in psychology will be running your department with absolutely no work experience. They don't value education.

-Seattle Office
    Seriously guys, with so many awesome options in Seattle, don't waste your time with Axon. First, the office there is extremely boring and dull. Don't fall for Axon's recruiting gimmicks to fill the gap of engineers. If you are an engineer, there are so many options in Seattle for you to waste your time here. Plus, everyone at HQ hates the people in the Seattle office. Most are pompous, pretentious and treat HQ people like crap.

-ENGINEERS
    You have so many options out there! Go to a reputable, respectable company. This is a horrible work environment for engineers! Products constantly breaking, pressure to fix without proper tools and backstabbing environment. Recruiters make it seem like its a dream job and company. Trust me: it is NOT

-Sales
    Non-STOP firings! This is the most volatile department. If you even make it past 1 year, the sales cycle is so slow that it can take you well over a year to even start seeing any commission. You build pipeline, you build relationships months and months and nothing, or you get fired before you can claim your commission. You can't even count how many sales people get fired. Not worth the stress, the time wasted, nor the pay.

- Career Opportunities
    If you are buddy buddy with an upper manager, maybe. If you actually have qualifications and can prove it, forget it. That's not how it works here.

-Finance
    This is the most fiscally irresponsible company out there. Horrible management of its finances. Last year, board members got on upper managements case about this. So what did they do? Lay off a ton of people over a two day period. In all areas, all departments. Oh but you sure as hell didn't see any of the execs give up part of their 700k + salaries. And they don't care who they get rid of. You could be there 6 months or 16 years.

-Legal:
    Scummy legal team that fights tooth and nail every time the company gets rightfully sued. These are the people that would defend an intruder who sues a home owner for cutting himself on the glass he smashed to break in...that kind of scummy

Sad to see a local company being managed so corruptly. It is a shame for Arizona that such a corrupt organization has its HQ here.

Advice to Management

Do what you do best: get rid of every mid level manager and start fresh. While you are at it, get rid of yourselves as well. If this company is going to survive it needs to be under "new management". Oh and HR, don't bother giving your pre-written response about how to feel free to contact you and give my opinion and reach out to someone with their "open door" policy. You are the last department I would ever trust. We all know going to HR is to be put on the chopping block list.

"Area Lead Production/Automation"

Former Employee - Head Area Lead-Production/Automation in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Head Area Lead-Production/Automation in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management has stepped up and hired and or move the right people. Great environment and positive plan for the future.

Cons

Pay needs to be restructured. Temp contractors are making close to the same wages.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good fight. Let's replace the bullet!

Sep 18, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your review and for working alongside us for more than 3 years! We appreciate your perspective and feedback. We wish you the best in your next endeavor!

"Experience of a lifetime - Take the Leap"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company disrupting the public safety space, one day at a time.
    - Working with those who create the tech that is shaping the future of the world.
    - Very strong executive leadership team including: CRO and VP of Inside Sales.
    - Excellent advancement opportunities, I was promoted one year in.

Cons

- Some growing pains, in regards to continuity of teams. But, they have put in place great communication tools like Voxer, Slack, etc. Additionally, they continue to have sales conferences and many other opportunities to network; both professionally and socially.
    - Hard to get hired, they are very selective. This is actually a positive, because they are attracting top-tier talent.

Advice to Management

Thank you for pushing me to grow. Looking back in retrospect, I learned more than I ever even realized while I was doing my day-to-day work. I am very thankful for this being my first "big-boy" sales job. It set the bar.

Aug 8, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for your contributions on our Inside Sales Team! We're glad to have had you as a part of our mission and company, and appreciate all that you did alongside... More