Axon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Axon CEO & Founder Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "While the work is challenging, the company still encourages a good work-life balance" (in 14 reviews)

• "The company is on a mission to change for the better how law enforcement works in this country (and worldwide)" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Sometimes the hours can get long, but the company pushes everyone to have a good work/life balance" (in 13 reviews)

• "Fast growing company with some growing pains" (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love the mission, love the people, love what I do"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter Team Lead in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter Team Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Axon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission. The work. The people.
    Axon is a unique company with a mission like no others (this got me interested). The work is challenging, fun and rewarding (I love what I do). The people keep me engaged; I am surrounded by excellence and enjoy the people I work with (this keeps me here).
    If the mission resonates, if you want challenging and engaging work, and you like to be surrounded by wonderful people; Axon is for you.

Cons

The pantry has too many great items that tempt me from my diet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

2. "Instructional Designer"

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission-driven tech company that is fast paced, highly collaborative, fun, and hires the best of the best. I loved my time at Axon and will always cherish the amazing memories and hard work I achieved there.

Cons

High growth means everything is moving rapidly and while there weren't too many policies/procedures set in place when I arrived, it was amazing to have a role in creating them.

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome and "Aiming Far"

Sep 18, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your review! We're glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we thank you for your work. We'll indeed keep Aiming Far, and wish you the best!

"Great mission, used by upper management to burn out good people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic mission, heartfelt by the company founder and CEO. It's wonderful to do work that contributes to providing law-enforcement with better tools, in order to make the world better for everyone.

Cons

Burnout machine. You'll get average compensation while the fantastic mission is dangled in front of you to get you to work even harder.

Advice to Management

Stop overworking everyone.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Director in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong growth company, pay is incredible, unlimited PTO, stock options for executive level positions, great corporate mission

Cons

This is the epitome of a "good ol' boys company". They are growing so quickly that they're infrastructure and capabilities are not keeping up to speed. The existing executives are getting overwhelmed and have become obsolete, and are out of their league. They don't know what's needed in the organization to drive continued growth and understanding of their customers. They are so concerned about the bottom line that they are cutting, and "being scrappy" on key functions that are essential to the expansion and continued health of this company. Be cautious of the Seattle team, they are DIFFICULT to say the least. New ideas are not well accepted, and the ego in that division is out of control. These guys think they walk on water, and refuse to accept new ideas that will transform their organization. Make sure you understand what you're getting into, your manager, and your job - I was mislead tremendously. Would have NEVER joined this company had I known the reality of what I was in for.

Advice to Management

"Gut" reactions and knowledge are not enough to bring you into the next era. Investment is required in Marketing, Research, Customer Experience, Services and other areas. Your product can only bring you so far. Being "scrappy" is one thing, but if you don't have the infrastructure and functions to bring you to the next level you will fail. ggggggggggggggg

"Like a Fast Food-Cheap & Enticing but Afterwards your left w/ Indigestion and Empty"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Parental Leave
    PTO policy
    *Some* cool people

Cons

Before I started working at Axon, I told one of my friends where I was going to work. Her response was a freakishly a foreshadowing "that's a scummy company, are you sure you want to work for them?". Little did I know....Here's some candid facts about Axon:

-Culture of Fear & Paranoia: It all starts with the culture of fear and paranoia. Without a drastic change in culture, this place will always be the same. Ongoing jokes about who is going to be fired next. Is it really worth coming to a place to work wondering if you will be next? This actually causes anxiety in employees. But HR and management are to blame. They created this culture of fear and paranoia, and they feed it.

-Toxic environment
    Just watch Killing them Safely. They nailed how toxic this place is. Why do you think they 'changed' their name to Axon? They may have changed the name, but they can't change the reputation nor the culture. It is still the same toxic place it always was.Can't trust anyone. Constant back stabbing, constant firings, never know who said what to who to give them a bad rap. Bullying: rampant, almost encouraged

-Mid Management:
    Extremely unprofessional and unqualified for positions.
    I've seen numerous people be let go due to mid managers not able to manage and unqualified to make decisions

-Diversity?
    HA! Good luck finding at least a woman in a higher position. Everyone looks the same, thinks the same, acts the same. LGBT? Don't even think about it. Total bro-culture here.

- Employee Value
    Employees are not valued. Unless you are an LDP and went to Harvard or Stanford. Only exceptions. Other than that, you could have a Phd in your profession but someone with a bachelor in psychology will be running your department with absolutely no work experience. They don't value education.

-Seattle Office
    Seriously guys, with so many awesome options in Seattle, don't waste your time with Axon. First, the office there is extremely boring and dull. Don't fall for Axon's recruiting gimmicks to fill the gap of engineers. If you are an engineer, there are so many options in Seattle for you to waste your time here. Plus, everyone at HQ hates the people in the Seattle office. Most are pompous, pretentious and treat HQ people like crap.

-ENGINEERS
    You have so many options out there! Go to a reputable, respectable company. This is a horrible work environment for engineers! Products constantly breaking, pressure to fix without proper tools and backstabbing environment. Recruiters make it seem like its a dream job and company. Trust me: it is NOT

-Sales
    Non-STOP firings! This is the most volatile department. If you even make it past 1 year, the sales cycle is so slow that it can take you well over a year to even start seeing any commission. You build pipeline, you build relationships months and months and nothing, or you get fired before you can claim your commission. You can't even count how many sales people get fired. Not worth the stress, the time wasted, nor the pay.

- Career Opportunities
    If you are buddy buddy with an upper manager, maybe. If you actually have qualifications and can prove it, forget it. That's not how it works here.

-Finance
    This is the most fiscally irresponsible company out there. Horrible management of its finances. Last year, board members got on upper managements case about this. So what did they do? Lay off a ton of people over a two day period. In all areas, all departments. Oh but you sure as hell didn't see any of the execs give up part of their 700k + salaries. And they don't care who they get rid of. You could be there 6 months or 16 years.

-Legal:
    Scummy legal team that fights tooth and nail every time the company gets rightfully sued. These are the people that would defend an intruder who sues a home owner for cutting himself on the glass he smashed to break in...that kind of scummy

Sad to see a local company being managed so corruptly. It is a shame for Arizona that such a corrupt organization has its HQ here.

Advice to Management

Do what you do best: get rid of every mid level manager and start fresh. While you are at it, get rid of yourselves as well. If this company is going to survive it needs to be under "new management". Oh and HR, don't bother giving your pre-written response about how to feel free to contact you and give my opinion and reach out to someone with their "open door" policy. You are the last department I would ever trust. We all know going to HR is to be put on the chopping block list.

"Area Lead Production/Automation"

Former Employee - Head Area Lead-Production/Automation in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Head Area Lead-Production/Automation in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management has stepped up and hired and or move the right people. Great environment and positive plan for the future.

Cons

Pay needs to be restructured. Temp contractors are making close to the same wages.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good fight. Let's replace the bullet!

Sep 18, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your review and for working alongside us for more than 3 years! We appreciate your perspective and feedback. We wish you the best in your next endeavor!

"Experience of a lifetime - Take the Leap"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Company disrupting the public safety space, one day at a time.
    - Working with those who create the tech that is shaping the future of the world.
    - Very strong executive leadership team including: CRO and VP of Inside Sales.
    - Excellent advancement opportunities, I was promoted one year in.

Cons

- Some growing pains, in regards to continuity of teams. But, they have put in place great communication tools like Voxer, Slack, etc. Additionally, they continue to have sales conferences and many other opportunities to network; both professionally and socially.
    - Hard to get hired, they are very selective. This is actually a positive, because they are attracting top-tier talent.

Advice to Management

Thank you for pushing me to grow. Looking back in retrospect, I learned more than I ever even realized while I was doing my day-to-day work. I am very thankful for this being my first "big-boy" sales job. It set the bar.

Aug 8, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback, and for your contributions on our Inside Sales Team! We're glad to have had you as a part of our mission and company, and appreciate all that you did alongside... More

8. "Dreams"

Pros

Money , fun, awesome vision

Cons

Nothing I can think of

9. "Axon"

I have been working at Axon full-time

Pros

Above average pay, good product, great customers.

Cons

Difficult to sell a complex solution over the phone, many non sales tasks filter back to sales reps.

Aug 8, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your contributions to our sales team, and are glad you feel the same way we do about our customers. We're taking your feedback into... More

"The good and bad"

Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good direction, good work-life balance, really trying to make it a great place to work. Management has improved quite a bit in the last year. Employee surveys and Q&A sessions (with anonymous questions) very often (every month or other month). Real feedback from upper management.

Cons

No free pizza any more...
    Some PMs not communicating issues to higher management. However, at least one EVP has pushed himself into the fray and is getting the real data. That same group though, is asking engineers to silo data.
    Some times we allow/force people to leave when we need to keep them and we don't get rid of people when we need to (maybe this should be a pro?).
    No career path for moving up.
    EDP/LDP program makes other employees feel less important by giving them special treatment.
    Few covered parking spaces.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. This last year I've seen more movement than the 3 years before it.

Aug 8, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your writing this comprehensive review. We appreciate your perspective, and for your contributions to the company - which has been over the past 4 years, it seems! As we're growing, our... More