Axon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Axon CEO & Founder Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • While the work is challenging, the company still encourages a good work-life balance (in 13 reviews)

• The company is on a mission to change for the better how law enforcement works in this country (and worldwide) (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the hours can get long, but the company pushes everyone to have a good work/life balance (in 15 reviews)

• Fast growing company with some growing pains (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love the mission, love the people, love what I do"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter Team Lead in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter Team Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Axon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission. The work. The people.
    Axon is a unique company with a mission like no others (this got me interested). The work is challenging, fun and rewarding (I love what I do). The people keep me engaged; I am surrounded by excellence and enjoy the people I work with (this keeps me here).
    If the mission resonates, if you want challenging and engaging work, and you like to be surrounded by wonderful people; Axon is for you.

Cons

The pantry has too many great items that tempt me from my diet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Mission, mission, mission"

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working every day to increase trust and cooperation between civilians and law enforcement. The goals are ambitious: to obsolete the bullet with the TASER, to protect life and truth with our body cameras, and to allow officers to engage more with the community than with a keyboard through a few other technologies.

Cons

Can be political sometimes - a bit of an Ivy League bias if you want to move up the org chart quickly. The products can be controversial.

Advice to Management

Keep the pedal to the metal, but don't be afraid to open the decision-making doors to people from outside Boston and Palo Alto. There's some amazing homegrown talent in Phoenix and Seattle - use it!

3. "Mechanical Sustaining Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wery innovative and forward looking company. Open door policy and just overall fun place to work. I love that we always look to improve and strive to be better than your avarage company.

Cons

In some cases people that do good work are not recognised but that is changing and is changing for better.

Advice to Management

We need to invest more money in technologie that will help us be better and more efficient at what we do.

"Poor Communication & Micromanagement"

I have been working at Axon full-time

Pros

-People here work diligently and create a culture of grit and hard work
    -The office is a great space

Cons

-We have a CEO who is not willing/able to run the business day-to-day. Okay fine, he's the founder/visionary. But in that case, hire a president who's a business genius with tons of experience. Instead, our president has only ever worked at this company, has an MBA from a mediocre school, and clearly has no idea what he's doing. When doing a company presentation about our lack of significant profits, he made a remark that "they don't teach you this in business school." That is not a true or valid excuse for the head of the company.
    -The President is known among most of the employees who interact with him as having terrible social skills. He makes us feel uncomfortable in meetings and comes across as disingenuous and uncaring.
    -The leadership here has a serious boys club/bro culture. Leadership does not make enough effort to include female employees. At the sales conference, they "iced" a leader on-stage. As much as that might be considered "fun," that is extremely inappropriate. The impression it made me walk away with was, if I want to be a successful leader at this company, I need to be okay with drinking (and most likely need to be a male bro).
    -The CEO and President micromanage like crazy. They do this thing where they randomly swoop in on a program or project and start making decisions without knowing what they are talking about. Let go!
    -Communication at this company is awful. I more often hear about changes, even ones directly affecting me or my job, through someone who heard from someone. That is preposterous. Leaders need to be direct and ensure that they communicate with everyone who should know.
    -The CEO and President exhibit favoritism time and time again. Some people who are incompetent or who have made serious mistakes/judgement calls are still here because they're "buds" with leadership. Also, opportunities often get passed onto these favorites. And becoming a favorite means sucking up to the CEO and President and never telling them no. Real future leaders are willing and capable to say no.
    -The CEO is so self-obsessed that he insists on building a new HQ that the company cannot afford because he wants a monument to himself. Spend your own money!
    -The company's spending was out-of-control and led to non-existent profits, and executive leadership acted like it came out of nowhere. In reality, if they were doing their jobs and being responsible, the company would never have gotten into this mess in the first place. As President, you should know how the company spends its money and scrutinize. Especially given the decision to give body cameras away for free for one year, leadership should have done their due diligence to put checks and balances in place for spending.

Advice to Management

See above.

"Superb Technology, Profound Impact"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is inspiring: Eliminate the bullet. Protect life, protect truth. Put officers back on the streets. In a world of ad tech and gamification ad nauseum, meaningful work is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Growing pains. Lots of investment in future revenue means lots of changes!

Advice to Management

Keep executing on long-term vision. More transparency and communication is always better.

Jan 2, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your review and we are happy to hear you have enjoyed working with us! Our mission is both critical and meaningful, and it's our priority that every employee feels that they have a... More

"Stressful. Some of the upper management act like toddlers with real life tantrums in the office."

I worked at Axon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are the best part of the job. I just wished the leadership had a true understanding on how to run a company.

Cons

Oh man. Let’s take employees on a trip to the Grand Canyon and then a few months later lay them off. It’s so much easier to lay off employees instead of correcting behaviors around spending so much money. Don’t worry you guys are going to see your star wars movie this Christmas while I am looking for a new job and attempting to give my kid a fun and enjoyable Christmas.

Advice to Management

Fix the issues instead of making your employees life difficult. Win Right!!!! Unless the right way is not winning.

"Future looks dim"

I have been working at Axon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Quarterly bonuses, free soda/coffee, casual dress code, occasional parties with free drinks

Cons

- No room for advancement in most departments
    - Unless you have an Ivy League education don't expect a promotion
    - Many upper management positions are held by young Ivy League grads with little to no experience
    - Sales department gets all the glory. Training, Manufacturing, and Testing departments are treated like second class citizens.
    - Despite the ludicrously high margins on the weapons they continue to try and drive costs lower, rather than focusing on quality.
    - Very little energy is spent maintaining/improving existing products, once a product gets past the R&D stage there is no budget for fixing problems
    - They say you have unlimited PTO, but there is a lot of pressure to keep working and there is a very good chance you'll be called during your vacation if you're ballsy enough to take one.

Advice to Management

Own it. Own your own mistakes. You made some mistakes that led to an unprofitable quarter. Those million dollar salaries could have been trimmed down, instead you fired a lot of veteran employees.

Jan 2, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your time and for writing this feedback. We appreciate your time and efforts as an employee. We value the fact that within our working environment everyone has the capacity to enact... More

"Let's build a million dollar business and act like money grows on trees"

I worked at Axon full-time

Pros

Great technology, international locations and business opportunities.

Cons

unclear vision, massive lack of financial controls, lack of leadership and accountability.

Advice to Management

If you're worried about your bottom line, perhaps you should set financial controls on expenses for staff and how carelessly you spend money.

Money is spent on unnecessary expenses, ex. send the entire staff (various locations) over staggered days as team building to the Grand Canyon on some huge hiking/camping expedition.

Send huge numbers of staff to conferences and meetings across the globe, only to be concerned about travel expenses in this past week week?

Within the last two weeks management offered new techs in another country $50k signing bonuses and year long contracts only to lay off senior staff members this week.

Grossly overspending money to make money at the sake of senior staff is utterly ridiculous!! And while everyone is dispensable, there is a special place in hell for a company that opts to treat staff in such a manner.

"Exciting place for a business-builder, especially in Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Operations in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales Operations in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Visionary, friendly, smart, hardworking, problem-solving, fun-having people. Can-do attitude. Willingness to change. Mission-driven. Massive opportunities to take responsibilities, build business processes where they don't exist, fix broken parts, and make immediate contributions to the company's success. Impressive products that are making the world a better place. Investments in technology, tools, and ideas that make work more efficient and more fun. Financial success and a growing market. This is an aggressively expanding company, not one willing to rest on its laurels.

Cons

If you're not the kind of person who thrives on change, ambiguous structure, whitespace opportunity, and self-motivation, this probably isn't a place for you. There's order amidst the chaos but only just enough.

Advice to Management

Continue to refine and drive values-based leadership.

Sep 29, 2017 – The Axon Team

We thank you for taking the time to write this review and the work that you do! And we couldn't agree more- this is an environment where you can be a part of building the processes and projects that... More

"Great company"

I have been working at Axon full-time

Pros

Good benefits and the people are awesome.

Cons

Fast growing company with some growing pains.

Nov 14, 2017 – The Axon Team

Thank you for writing this review! We are committed to maintaining a culture where our people feel valued and have the opportunity to make an impact. With each new phase, there are exciting... More