Axon Reviews | Glassdoor

3.9
Axon CEO & Founder Rick Smith
Rick Smith

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • While the work is challenging, the company still encourages a good work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

• The company is on a mission to change for the better how law enforcement works in this country (and worldwide) (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes the hours can get long, but the company pushes everyone to have a good work/life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Fast growing company with some growing pains (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Love the mission, love the people, love what I do"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter Team Lead in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter Team Lead in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Axon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The mission. The work. The people.
    Axon is a unique company with a mission like no others (this got me interested). The work is challenging, fun and rewarding (I love what I do). The people keep me engaged; I am surrounded by excellence and enjoy the people I work with (this keeps me here).
    If the mission resonates, if you want challenging and engaging work, and you like to be surrounded by wonderful people; Axon is for you.

Cons

The pantry has too many great items that tempt me from my diet.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work.

"Mission, mission, mission"

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working every day to increase trust and cooperation between civilians and law enforcement. The goals are ambitious: to obsolete the bullet with the TASER, to protect life and truth with our body cameras, and to allow officers to engage more with the community than with a keyboard through a few other technologies.

Cons

Can be political sometimes - a bit of an Ivy League bias if you want to move up the org chart quickly. The products can be controversial.

Advice to Management

Keep the pedal to the metal, but don't be afraid to open the decision-making doors to people from outside Boston and Palo Alto. There's some amazing homegrown talent in Phoenix and Seattle - use it!

Mar 2, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your review and your feedback. We are happy to hear you have enjoyed working with us and we are very proud of our talented employees all over the globe. As a company, we want you to... More

3. "The good and bad"

Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Engineer in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good direction, good work-life balance, really trying to make it a great place to work. Management has improved quite a bit in the last year. Employee surveys and Q&A sessions (with anonymous questions) very often (every month or other month). Real feedback from upper management.

Cons

No free pizza any more...
    Some PMs not communicating issues to higher management. However, at least one EVP has pushed himself into the fray and is getting the real data. That same group though, is asking engineers to silo data.
    Some times we allow/force people to leave when we need to keep them and we don't get rid of people when we need to (maybe this should be a pro?).
    No career path for moving up.
    EDP/LDP program makes other employees feel less important by giving them special treatment.
    Few covered parking spaces.

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward. This last year I've seen more movement than the 3 years before it.

"Good Old Boys Club"

Former Employee - Finance in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Finance in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is generous with its workers. There are plenty of happy hours, free meals, and events in which employees can partake.

Cons

The workforce is young and inexperienced, starting with the executives. The sales people give away the farm to sell a cow, and this type of selling can only be sustained for so long. The non competitive Taser market has masked terrible margins in their body camera business, and they are extremely careless with money. Along with poorly run operations, it is very clicky and can be uncomfortable to work there if you don't fit in. It is sad that a company with a great product is being run the way it is.

Advice to Management

See 'Cons' section and attempt to first of all listen, then attempt to address some of the employees concerns.

"Just really awful people."

Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

get to serve law enforcement

Cons

Micromanagement, inexperienced management, lazy superiors, internal politics, lack of ethics, unstable employees

Advice to Management

leave the company asap. corruption to line your pockets catches up to you and may lead to jail time.

"Poor Communication & Micromanagement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time

Pros

-People here work diligently and create a culture of grit and hard work
    -The office is a great space

Cons

-We have a CEO who is not willing/able to run the business day-to-day. Okay fine, he's the founder/visionary. But in that case, hire a president who's a business genius with tons of experience. Instead, our president has only ever worked at this company, has an MBA from a mediocre school, and clearly has no idea what he's doing. When doing a company presentation about our lack of significant profits, he made a remark that "they don't teach you this in business school." That is not a true or valid excuse for the head of the company.
    -The President is known among most of the employees who interact with him as having terrible social skills. He makes us feel uncomfortable in meetings and comes across as disingenuous and uncaring.
    -The leadership here has a serious boys club/bro culture. Leadership does not make enough effort to include female employees. At the sales conference, they "iced" a leader on-stage. As much as that might be considered "fun," that is extremely inappropriate. The impression it made me walk away with was, if I want to be a successful leader at this company, I need to be okay with drinking (and most likely need to be a male bro).
    -The CEO and President micromanage like crazy. They do this thing where they randomly swoop in on a program or project and start making decisions without knowing what they are talking about. Let go!
    -Communication at this company is awful. I more often hear about changes, even ones directly affecting me or my job, through someone who heard from someone. That is preposterous. Leaders need to be direct and ensure that they communicate with everyone who should know.
    -The CEO and President exhibit favoritism time and time again. Some people who are incompetent or who have made serious mistakes/judgement calls are still here because they're "buds" with leadership. Also, opportunities often get passed onto these favorites. And becoming a favorite means sucking up to the CEO and President and never telling them no. Real future leaders are willing and capable to say no.
    -The CEO is so self-obsessed that he insists on building a new HQ that the company cannot afford because he wants a monument to himself. Spend your own money!
    -The company's spending was out-of-control and led to non-existent profits, and executive leadership acted like it came out of nowhere. In reality, if they were doing their jobs and being responsible, the company would never have gotten into this mess in the first place. As President, you should know how the company spends its money and scrutinize. Especially given the decision to give body cameras away for free for one year, leadership should have done their due diligence to put checks and balances in place for spending.

Advice to Management

See above.

Mar 2, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for sharing your perspective. Please feel free to approach our People Operations team as well as some of our senior leaders' open office hours to address your concerns regarding the... More

7. "Mechanical Sustaining Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wery innovative and forward looking company. Open door policy and just overall fun place to work. I love that we always look to improve and strive to be better than your avarage company.

Cons

In some cases people that do good work are not recognised but that is changing and is changing for better.

Advice to Management

We need to invest more money in technologie that will help us be better and more efficient at what we do.

"Stressful. Some of the upper management act like toddlers with real life tantrums in the office."

I worked at Axon part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are the best part of the job. I just wished the leadership had a true understanding on how to run a company.

Cons

Oh man. Let’s take employees on a trip to the Grand Canyon and then a few months later lay them off. It’s so much easier to lay off employees instead of correcting behaviors around spending so much money. Don’t worry you guys are going to see your star wars movie this Christmas while I am looking for a new job and attempting to give my kid a fun and enjoyable Christmas.

Advice to Management

Fix the issues instead of making your employees life difficult. Win Right!!!! Unless the right way is not winning.

"Superb Technology, Profound Impact"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Axon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission is inspiring: Eliminate the bullet. Protect life, protect truth. Put officers back on the streets. In a world of ad tech and gamification ad nauseum, meaningful work is a breath of fresh air.

Cons

Growing pains. Lots of investment in future revenue means lots of changes!

Advice to Management

Keep executing on long-term vision. More transparency and communication is always better.

Jan 2, 2018 – The Axon Team

Thank you for your review and we are happy to hear you have enjoyed working with us! Our mission is both critical and meaningful, and it's our priority that every employee feels that they have a... More

"Let's build a million dollar business and act like money grows on trees"

I worked at Axon full-time

Pros

Great technology, international locations and business opportunities.

Cons

unclear vision, massive lack of financial controls, lack of leadership and accountability.

Advice to Management

If you're worried about your bottom line, perhaps you should set financial controls on expenses for staff and how carelessly you spend money.

Money is spent on unnecessary expenses, ex. send the entire staff (various locations) over staggered days as team building to the Grand Canyon on some huge hiking/camping expedition.

Send huge numbers of staff to conferences and meetings across the globe, only to be concerned about travel expenses in this past week week?

Within the last two weeks management offered new techs in another country $50k signing bonuses and year long contracts only to lay off senior staff members this week.

Grossly overspending money to make money at the sake of senior staff is utterly ridiculous!! And while everyone is dispensable, there is a special place in hell for a company that opts to treat staff in such a manner.