Axxess Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
John Olajide

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There's snacks and drinks, a nap room, and catering every Monday" (in 9 reviews)

• "Not to mention we work in a beautiful office space" (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "There are no cons to working at Axxess" (in 11 reviews)

• "Still a new company with usual growing pains" (in 9 reviews)

1. "Continued great place to work"

I have been working at Axxess full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Axxess is an extremely open and collaborative environment where titles do not matter and "may the best idea win" is a way of life. The senior leadership continues to improve both with existing people and with new people being routinely added, as the company matures (but maintains the excitement of a small start-up).

Cons

If you are interested in a workplace that requires silos and everyone only doing the job right in front of them, you would do better somewhere else. I have never worked somewhere like Axxess where everyone feels accountable to everyone else. It is an incredible team atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Keep growing in the same way.

2. "A Good Place to Learn a Corporate Environment"

I have been working at Axxess part-time

Pros

Snacks and drinks available. Solid means of tiding yourself over to a proper meal.

Good people. Axxess expects the best from people.

Cons

If you want to learn more from other aspects of the business aside from your assigned team, good luck.

The HR team likes to have an ear in absolutely everything that goes on.

Advice to Management

Be considerate when some fall short.

"Could Be Better"

Current Employee - Web Engineer
    Current Employee - Web Engineer

I have been working at Axxess full-time

Pros

* Incredible coworkers
    * Excellent career starter
    * Nice office space
    * Great location
    * 20 days PTO

Cons

* Raises are spotty (even for top performers)
    * Expensive health insurance plans (spouse + children)
    * Old-fashioned values (no tattoos, no unorthodox piercings)
    * Flex time is rather rigid (mandatory morning meetings 4/5 work days)
    * All corporate events become marketing material

Advice to Management

My advice is a warning. Many engineers are going on 1.5-2 years without a raise. We understand that the company took a hit from the COPs release, but if there's room in the budget for hiring more engineers then there should be enough for raises. It won't be long before engineers start leaving.

"A Great Place to Start, Definitely Not a Career"

Current Employee - Web Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Web Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Axxess (More than a year)

Pros

- Monday Lunches
    - Relaxed Work Environment (easily take time off, playing ping pong/pool)
    - 20 days of PTO
    - Coworkers are great
    - Literally a wall of snacks (chips, cookies, granola bars, etc.)
    - High STARTING salary
    - The office is clean and well maintained thanks the the janitorial staff!
    - Normal benefits (Health, Dental, 401k, etc.) Don't expect anything spectacular
    - Axxess helps people get H1B visas

Axxess is a great company to work for on paper. They check a lot of boxes and give new college grads great opportunities to get their foot into the tech industry. I've learned a lot in the first year or so in the industry. I think that there are a lot of engineers at Axxess that are able to pass off invaluable knowledge, getting to know/work with them is a bit harder (I think I won the lottery).

Cons

As and Engineer
    - The open office feel makes the working areas extremely noisy and hard to focus.
    - No acknowledgement for problems solved.
    - No incentives to improve (a lot of people just come in work on tasks and leave. Zero learning is done on such simple API's)
    - The "Make it work, make it right, make it tight" rule for products never makes it past the working stage. There's no time to refactor code unless you do it behind someone's back.
    - Knowledge silos are a thing. There are less than 5 engineers who know exactly how every product works. This knowledge has been slowly spreading across the company, but not fast enough.
    - There are definite cliques that are hard to get into, so hopefully you find one with a hole that needs filling.

Overall
    - Management has high expectations with little preparation and knowledge of what they actually want.
    - The HR department is more of a secret service for snitching on people (They are randomly spread around the office for no apparent reason)
    - People are scrutinized for voicing unpopular opinions which silences a lot of people.
    - Quarterly town halls and useless Monday-Thursday meetings are used as propaganda (be prepared to clap and cheer)
    - Don't expect a raise unless someone leaves. Management uses it as an incentive to stay, not to keep you happy.
    - HR has been known to plant fake 5 star reviews after negative reviews although they haven't been doing it in the past month or so.
    - Axxess claims it is a start up to try and make it appealing, but it's not. Axxess has a wide spread suite of products with enough customers to survive, but not enough to claim that they are an enterprise.
    - Axxess's awards, such as the 'Best Places to Work', seem very fraudulent.

Summary:
    As a back-end engineer, I started out at a relatively high salary. However; after being at Axxess for more than a year I have only seen raises given to a few senior level engineers when someone decided to leave. The lack of incentives to do well or improve your skills are non-existent. Engineers were working until 9, 10, or 11pm (sometimes later) for weeks before Christmas, and their "compensation" was a nightly dinner that started out at fancy restaurants, but quickly degraded to Jimmy Johns and Pizza Hut. At the end of the 'Crunch Time' the engineers were given a roughly $300 dollar bonus, which is a slap in the face for the 40-50 hours of extra work put in. Overall I think Axxess is a 2.5/5 star company and was tempted to give them a 3/5; however, I feel that I have to correct the fake reviews slightly and dropped it down to a 2/5.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees as human beings. I understand that there was a rough start at the beginning of 2018, but that doesn't mean you have to continuously punish engineers. We work tirelessly on the code we make. To us, engineers, it's an art form. Give us time to perfect the product and hone in our skills. We can't continue to bust out feature after feature. It's why we've lost so many engineers since October 2017. Also understand that engineers aren't jack of all trades, I know the C level execs are into sports, so let's try an analogy. Asking engineers to solve problems they don't know how to fix is like asking Stephen Curry to switch with Tom Brady. They are both excellent at what they do, but if they switched roles both the Golden State Warriors and the New England Patriots would be in a worse spot. So asking a back-end dev to do front-end work is hurting us. Let's get some specialized people that can accomplish their jobs well in each role and not try to just patch things up until products break again.

On a business side, it seems that Axxess wants to be a 'Jack of All Trades' type of company. With a lot of small products that kinda do what they are supposed to. If Axxess wants to grow, stop starting projects and shuffling engineers between teams. It only causes the code to get confusing and slows the process of development.

Now onto the lovely 'culture' Axxess has cultivated. Axxess wants the culture to be one where everyone cares about the products and how our customers feel towards us. However, in reality the feature after feature has crushed the moral of many engineers. Causing us to simply not care if there's a bug and just moving onto the next ticket. The morning meetings, especially the engineer meetings, have been useless as of lately. You should be using them to transfer important information that the majority of the company actually finds useful. Having back to back meetings repeating the same information is a waste of both engineers' time and Axxess money. As a side note, asking employees to call into a meeting that starts and ends, 8-9am, before the required time to be into the office, 9am, is ridiculous.

Expectations like this, that end up being pointless, is why Axxess will never have a 'Company of Owners' culture. There is no time to take pride and work proactively, because we are asked to join meaningless meetings that last 30-60 minutes almost every morning.

If I had to give the CEO/CTO one sentence of advice it would be:
    "Let the people you hire do what they do best."

5. "Proud Axxessian"

Current Employee - Client Success Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Client Success Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Axxess full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is really a company unlike any other, who values their employees and is forward thinking in all that they do.

Cons

I'm still fairly new so none so far

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing

"Rock Stars Only!"

I have been working at Axxess full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- So many knowledgeable people with such great industry experience have come together under one roof and it is a pleasure to work with and learn from them.

- Axxess has high standards for new hires and wants to make sure that we select the right fit for the company and that usually means only hiring rock stars. If you go above and beyond and you are passionate about your work, you'll do just fine.

- Large company (over 100 in the office), but many efforts are made to make sure that you have opportunities to mix and mingle with other departments during fun team building activities.

- Employees are well looked after - if you need something - just shoot an email to the Concierge and you get what you need. How cool is that?

- It's been mentioned before but the FOOD. Free lunch every Monday, and a nice selection of snacks and drinks everyday.

- The office is beautiful and well maintained. Our facilities staff are excellent and make us feel right at home.

- Teamwork runs through the veins of the company. Good ideas are heard, considered, and implemented.

Cons

I've been here less than a year, so the cons are still a little illusive at this point.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring Rock Stars and the company has no choice but to continue moving onward and upward!

Aug 10, 2018 – Human Resources

We appreciate you posting your review of your experience so far with Axxess. You are exactly right, we are very selective in the hiring process. This is critical in continuing the fun and dynamic... More

7. "Simply the Best!"

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Axxess full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, no micromanagement, true team collaboration, FUN

Cons

Fast paced, but that is the nature of the business; not for slackers

Advice to Management

Keep putting your culture and employees first

Aug 10, 2018 – Human Resources

Thank you for your review sharing your thoughts with us. Axxess is built on a culture of collaboration and team work. It is great to see that you are embracing this and are having fun learning. We... More

"Asked to do another review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Axxess full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Snacks, Starting pay, and Job Security, and non-managers are pretty pleasant to interact with.

Cons

Management doesn't care about mentoring the many College hires.
    Management's voice is the only one heard.
    Some engineers get multiple(3+) projects to manage alone with little to no guidance.
    Engineers are constantly contacted for Business Requirements.
    No Cubicle walls leads to a loud work environment.
    Developing Careers of engineers isn't a priority.
    You'll get asked not to take breaks until a majority of people leave for the day.
    You'll also get asked to leave 5 star reviews for Axxess as a Great place to work(hence the title) many times during your stay here.

Advice to Management

Allow your Engineers to work on things they want to, and keep them working on their own projects and teams. Try to help your engineers develop their skills.

Aug 10, 2018 – Human Resources

We appreciate you sharing your thoughts in this review. We encourage comments, suggestions, shared concerns and ideas from all Axxessians (both current and former) and a forum like Glassdoor allows... More

"It’s all a big show"

I have been working at Axxess full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Food and drinks are plentiful so you can work through your lunch break.
    -Covered, garage parking.
    -Free Axxess branded shirts.

Cons

-They care more about putting on a good show than actually caring for their employees. They don’t have enough places for people to sit and no one is willing to help with placement. “Figure it out.”
    -“Make it work, make it right, make it tight” is another way to say make it get by well enough to fool clients as long as you can for the least amount of money. It never gets to the point of being right, much less tight.
    -The open air environment leads to less productivity but management and HR use it as a way to keep tabs on employees.
    -As others have mentioned, you can tell by the clusters of positive reviews when HR pushes to get reviews on morning meetings. They do the same with their software reviews.
    -They are so old fashioned and won’t even let me show my tattoos.
    -“May the best idea win” is another way to say “if you have a good idea management will steal it for their own.” No one gets credit for contributions.

Advice to Management

Don’t take advantage of your employees and actually give them the resources (time, equipment, personnel) to be successful.

"Poor Pay & Worse Culture"

Former Employee - Marketing in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing in Addison, TX

I worked at Axxess full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Food. Decent Office Space. Nice team members (outside of leadership). They never miss payroll! (They will bill customers for products they didn't order so that they can make pay roll, Its a huge win for employees!) Very pretty product.

Cons

Customers get upset a lot about the product. They preach open door concept but don't like people who speak up. They have a high turn over rate.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach