Ayasdi Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Bob Griffin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Passion, Patience, and Perseverance"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time

Pros

The use cases being focused on within the general AI, Machine Learning, and Advanced Analytics market are all over the place - robotic process automation, natural language processing, autonomous driving, predictive maintenance, risk management, etc. Furthermore, the number of companies focusing on each of these areas seems to be growing by the week. While this is the case, there are only a select number of these companies who have successfully built and launched Fortune 100 enterprise business use case solutions utilizing AI / ML and whose name is recognized by enterprise leadership team members (particularly within Financial Services, Healthcare, and the Government sectors) looking to invest in these new technologies. Ayasdi is certainly among those recognized and respected names, and it's clear our team is fully dedicated to building our brand, expanding our platform capabilities within current clients' businesses, and capturing new logos. Just by doing a little research into other companies trying to do similar things as Ayasdi, you'll quickly find that list is quite small, inexperienced, and/or not at the same level of revenue generation or reputable VC backing.

The Ayasdi team is very intelligent, passionate about being leaders in our segment of the AI / ML market, and focused on building real analytics solutions that actually drive change and save millions for our clients.

If you're really interested in advanced analytics, as well as looking for a place where you can showcase your skills and see your work truly impact a business, I highly recommend Ayasdi.

Cons

Despite being a bit more established startup (founded in 2008), Ayasdi is not insusceptible to the challenges that other startups face. One of the main barriers to entry includes the amount of time and effort it takes to get a new client solution signed and implemented. This closing process here is longer than many other software companies, but of course, this is due to the fact that AI / ML solutions are by no means "mainstream" and to get them adopted into major enterprise operations requires hammering down the exact pain point to build a solution around, having all the required business and IT stakeholders approve specific terms, getting access to the right data, getting the solution up and running in a production setting, and so on. While this time and customization can be challenging to get through from end to end, we've actually made it happen on very many instances and are working on building repeatable solutions that we know the client markets we focus on will be interested in, which will allow us to diminish this timeline of onboarding new clients or delivering new solutions to existing clients. While I personally believe this is the right approach, it is clear that patience, perseverance, and lots of hard work are what will get us to the place we are all working so hard on getting Ayasdi to.

Advice to Management

While the current and growing wave of AI and Advanced Analytics adoption in most industries is no longer news to most people, the number of companies and new startups focused on building a unique AI approach is changing and growing everyday. It's clearly a hot place to be, and although there are these successes under our belt, there is still so much to accomplish to continue to gain that traction and build our brand / business. No doubt that scaling an enterprise software company is challenging, and being better about identifying and hiring new talent more quickly is a must. The hiring managers within the organization should trust their gut but also be aware of the constraints on the existing talent pool, especially when looking at the high standards we hold for who we bring into the company. Finding new ways to further build our brand (internally and externally) may help with attracting that new talent or getting our name even more recognized within the areas we're focusing on to allow us to scale and grow more rapidly.

"Wonderful product, great future, and the most genuine people"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time

Pros

There are a lot of pros about the company that will make other companies shy of competing with it - fantastic product, great possibility of upside with very respectful VCs investing, sheer fact that it really is an AI company, and much more - but none is more important to mention than the people in this company. Everyone is extremely genuine, smart, and approachable. The work culture is very open and the management, very transparent. The company appreciates the people, and it shows in return from the people side that they care about the company and the mission as well.

Cons

It is in visible distance from the Facebook. If you are living in the city, you may not like the commute.

Advice to Management

The company has extremely good prospect that there is a very good chance the company will grow very rapidly. It will be crucial to keep the culture intact while growing.

3. "Great Internship Experience"

Former Employee - Data Science Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - Data Science Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Ayasdi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, collaborative team

Cons

Many employees leave because of startup environment

"Vertical Traction on the Rise"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Having been with Ayasdi for nearly 2 years, I've experienced the transition from working within 5+ industries into a more narrowed and strategic focus into 2 very data-driven verticals: Healthcare and Financial Services. Although we had seen some success (and challenges) in both before the transition, the traction has been on the rise over the last year as we have brought in talented individuals across our sales, data science, product, and marketing teams. These newer domain experts have brought in the industry knowledge required to help us navigate complexity, demonstrate value, and drive exciting solutions that all of the largest institutions in those verticals are facing today (and will be facing over the next few years). This fact, coupled with the growing awareness and interest in machine learning solutions across organizational operations, has been key to our recent growth.

It is a very exciting time to see things going the way they are (interesting deals in the pipeline), and I expect them to continue.

Cons

The complexities of figuring out how to build customized solutions has proven to be a challenge, but that's part of the learning curve of being a startup working with some of the largest companies in the world, including global tier-1 banks. We don't often look back at what we've achieved in company all-hands meetings, and sometimes the feeling of accomplishment that should be realized isn't.... maybe it's because the company is in a constant state of learning and development. Both passion and patience are required to weather some of those ups and downs, but this is certainly a cutting-edge machine intelligence company.

Advice to Management

The more domain-specific expertise across teams, short- and long-term strategic thinking within operations, and how we can continuously bring the voice of our customers internal will be how we can continue to capitalize on success seen thus far and drive additional growth in near term.

Continue to drive an even closer-knit team internally and take the results observed in our recent company-wide feedback survey to heart. We all want to be successful, and we're all here because we see the opportunity for what could be achieved. Let's grow that feeling of togetherness.

"Growing Strong"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome team, customers renewing & we're seeing hiring really pick up. The team has grown a bit in the last few months & the new hires are really amazing. It's really feeling like we're putting together the sort of high performance team you read about.

Cons

It would be awesome if the office were in downtown Palo Alto.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring rockstars!

"Will cure cancer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has an amazing vision and technology that is helping many organizations get insights that they have never seen before. Machine intelligence is really promising and exciting.

Cons

I'm worried about gaining weight because we have really good catering at headquarters every day.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring amazing people - we have a ton of potential!

"This Place Rocks!!"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyday we get a chance to help build a company that will change the course of history. From cancer to diabetes or Transactional Fraud to Market Segmentation. Ayasdi will drive your career to new heights!

Cons

Hey we are a startup, it's not supposed to be easy...

Advice to Management

More choices on food

"Smart People and Great Technology"

I have been working at Ayasdi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are remarkably talented which is a great environment to be apart of....I feel like I can learn from them and get better at what I do. The capability of the technology is impressive and I have yet to be apart of a company in my career that has something like it.

Cons

In start ups there are challenges...we need to continue to refine and streamline processes.

Advice to Management

Keep on communicating!

"SDR"

Former Employee - SDR in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Employee - SDR in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Ayasdi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fascinating and groundbreaking technology. Able to work with some of the best companies in the Enterprise space. Overall the technology has some great applicability.

Cons

No opportunity for career development in sales unless you have 15+ experience coming in. At most you have 1 year and then you should start looking.

Advice to Management

Communicate more effectively with the ranks. Do not sacrifice the people of the technology which often the company appeared to do.

"Failed Startup - Like Theranos and Ubeam - But Worse CEO. Offensive Hyperbolic Claims to Cure Cancer"

I worked at Ayasdi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management excels at writing fake Glassdoor reviews. CEO regularly fires a different VP to deflect blame from himself. Lots of desk space due to the declining employee population and plenty of parking.

Cons

If you're thinking of risking your career at Ayasdi then do your due diligence.by asking for the following information from Ayasdi management. And get it all in writing; so your attorney can use it if they lie and you join.

- Who are Ayasdi's current live customers? Ask for them by name and don't fall for academic researchers or proof-of-concepts. Ask to speak to at least one actual customer who uses the software in production and don't let them give you an Ayasdi employee speaking about a proof-of-concept on behalf of a customer.
    - What new customers purchased licenses in fiscal 2016? (February 2015 to January 2016) Again, proof-of-concepts don't count.
    - Which customers renewed licenses in fiscal 2016?
    - What were Ayasdi's total new license bookings in fiscal 2016?
    - How many finance and administration personnel does Ayasdi have? What % is that of the whole company? Given Ayasdi's 2016 bookings and total number of employees, what do those finance and administration personnel do in their 40-hour week?
    - How much cash is in the bank?
    - What is Ayasdi's burn rate?
    - What is the average tenure of Ayasdi's current employees?
    - Provide two examples where Ayasdi's CEO made competent business decisions. Ask to speak with a rank-and-file employee to have this verified.
    - How was the CEO's new house funded?

Additionally, look at your LinkedIn network to find some former Ayasdi employees to hear about their experiences. There are some great individuals who joined Ayasdi as true believers and quit based on their actual experience. Unfortunately, Ayasdi's software does not cure cancer. Track down Ayasdi's original data scientist team, who were highly experienced in pharma drug discovery and development, and they'll tell you the truth.

Advice to Management

Admit to the board that it's time for an experienced CEO to restart the company while there's still investor cash left. Or else update your resume since you will ultimately be fired by Gurjeet. And stop writing that Ayasdi's software will cure cancer. Over 500,000 people in the US are projected to die from cancer in 2016 and you're offending them, their families, and their friends. If you have a solution to cancer, then get it peer reviewed in the journals, tested in clinical trials, and approved by the FDA. A demo of analyzing an old breast cancer data set does not equal solving cancer.